I’m going to be watching the stream for this programme later and reading the replies in this post got me thinking about the performance a lot. 

I may have to get back to this after watching it, but from everything that has been announced for the 2021/2022 season it seems like the company didn’t want to rush the company into classics straight away in a effort to let the dancers gradually go back to their top physical form before the pandemic ( also avoiding unnecessary injuries). That’s not to say that what they are delivering now isn’t physically demanding but I’m sure the body can only take so much and be pushed to a certain limit. Given how they generally rehearse things in parallel the current programme may be a option that it’s better to start and warm up everyone for whats to come.

I’ll probably be back to give my impressions later this weekend of the performance 🎭.

• Like 5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've got a month, I'm taking this programme slowly, I watched WTGH and the Kyle Abraham work live, and have just seen The Statement, which surprisingly I found fascinating! Don't really know what is was about as I couldn't hear the words properly but the movements were dynamic, great cast too. I also loved the cast for the Kyle Abraham work, this was more classical than I thought it would be, so the interval split the different styles.

I've seen WTGH too many times recently but understand the circumstances, the dancing of Yasmine Naghdi and Ryoichi Hirano in the last pdd was gorgeous!

• Like 4

I'm sorry you couldn't hear the words to The Statement properly, Beryl, because they really do add to the piece.   I must admit, it was my favourite of the four.

• Like 4

I was at the final performance of this bill on Sunday, for my first time back in the ROH.  Hooray, at last!  Totally brilliant to see live dancers again after too long.  

Regarding COVID .... efficient entry system with automated temperature checker ... your result shows on a TV screen.  Plenty of staff ensuring masks are being worn all the time, including in the auditorium.  I did admire the plush red velvet ribbon marking the socially distanced seats.

I do miss the lack of printed programme and especially cast list ... hoping the option for those will return at some point. (I’ve printed the cast list on my return home ... so that’s something.)

I could watch WTGH many times over ... such beautiful music and choreo.  The duets of Yasmine Naghdi & Rio Hirano and Fumi Kaneko & Reece Clarke were especially spellbinding.  Aiden O’Brien & Francisco Serrano coped well with the fiendishly difficult male duet ... tough to match David Donnelly and Teo Dubreil though ... they are superb! (On the stream 😉)

Melissa Hamilton as the wife was fabulous in ‘Optional Family’ .. sharp technique and style.  Marco Masciari as the third person in the marriage grabbed everyone’s attention from his first appearance.  There was some giggling from the audience as the introductory letters from the aggrieved wife and husband were read.  Can’t help feeling a fuller audience might have reacted with more gusto.

‘The Statement’ is just brilliant.  As were the 4 dancers ... Amelia Townsend and Joshua Juncker, Kristen McNally and Matthew Ball.  Such well-prescribed roles.  I loved it.

Not so convinced by Solo Echo.  I can’t seem to remember much about that.  Hmm. 

I really appreciated this varied programme for the chance to see so many younger dancers in featured roles.  

C1C6879A-6B8E-4E1D-BD29-B019B3DBC142.jpeg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, FionaE said:

Regarding COVID .... efficient entry system with automated temperature checker ... your result shows on a TV screen. 

I do miss the lack of printed programme and especially cast list ... hoping the option for those will return at some point. (I’ve printed the cast list on my return home ... so that’s something.)

I didn't even notice the temperature checker - although I suspect if I'd been running one someone would have intervened :)

As for the printed programmes, well, everything else has gone digital.  I wonder if they could for the time being produce the sort of digital version they used to do for the cinema screenings?  Or perhaps it's not practical/too expensive for the time being?  I do feel for their programme producers, who could probably have done with the custom, though.

• Like 1

Surely the full printed programme will make a return in the Autumn, including cast sheets for individual performances?

I imagine programmes are a large part of the revenue stream and if they’re being produced it makes sense for printed cast lists to come back also? 

I for one think it’s a shame they haven’t produced programmes for the Spring run - surely it isn’t a hygiene issue? I can understand with ongoing uncertainty they wouldn’t want to pulp lots of printed programmes if something was cancelled so I presume that’s the reason but they are sorely missed and would be shocked not to see them and cast lists return!