Jump to content

Diploma in dance education


joyofdance
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good morning. Would anyone be able to offer any advice or information re the following please. My daughter is a bit of an all round dancer with a good to above average standard in several genres. She is currently in her first yr of a B tec dance diploma at college. She has lost a lot of enthusiasm for the performance side of dance so is reconsidering her previous plans of going on to do a dance degree. She (and we) are also reluctant re the degree route as it is a lot of money to pay out for a degree in something that gives limited options in the long term. At the moment she thinks she may be better suited to teaching dance in a dance school setting rather than an academic setting. She finds the theory work on the B tec very easy so could easily manage additional study alongside this. I have looked in to the Diploma in Dance Education which seems like a good start as it seems you can do it at weekends and in the evenings so she could continue her college course. Does anyone know anything about the DDE and have any personal experience or advice that they could give please. Would the DDE be a good starting point or would another route be advisable. At the minute she has ideas of possibly owning her own dance school in the long term. Thank you in advance.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, joyofdance said:

Good morning. Would anyone be able to offer any advice or information re the following please. My daughter is a bit of an all round dancer with a good to above average standard in several genres. She is currently in her first yr of a B tec dance diploma at college. She has lost a lot of enthusiasm for the performance side of dance so is reconsidering her previous plans of going on to do a dance degree. She (and we) are also reluctant re the degree route as it is a lot of money to pay out for a degree in something that gives limited options in the long term. At the moment she thinks she may be better suited to teaching dance in a dance school setting rather than an academic setting. She finds the theory work on the B tec very easy so could easily manage additional study alongside this. I have looked in to the Diploma in Dance Education which seems like a good start as it seems you can do it at weekends and in the evenings so she could continue her college course. Does anyone know anything about the DDE and have any personal experience or advice that they could give please. Would the DDE be a good starting point or would another route be advisable. At the minute she has ideas of possibly owning her own dance school in the long term. Thank you in advance.  

Hi. A DDE is certainly a good start. However if the long game is owning and running her own dance school, business studies or a similar course should be considered. 
Has your DD also thought about teaching dance within a school environment? Therefore studying for a degree with PGCE qualification. She would certainly be keeping feet (with pointed toes😉) in both camps. Working within a school with a regular income could set her up nicely over the years to have financial support when considering owning her own school later on. 🙂
PS. There is a slight quirk in the qualifications. Whilst DDE includes the word Education, to teach dance within a school environment that person must hold the additional PGCE qualification.  Just as much as someone with a PGCE isn’t automatically qualified to teach in a dance school/studio. Hence the suggestion to consider both if possible especially as you’ve mentioned a DDE can be studied at evenings & weekends

 

Good luck. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Hi. A DDE is certainly a good start. However if the long game is owning and running her own dance school, business studies or a similar course should be considered. 
Has your DD also thought about teaching dance within a school environment? Therefore studying for a degree with PGCE qualification. She would certainly be keeping feet (with pointed toes😉) in both camps. Working within a school with a regular income could set her up nicely over the years to have financial support when considering owning her own school later on  🙂

Thank you. Yes the possibility of the degree/PGCE is something she is considering in the long term. Because she is doing a 2 yr B tec she isn't doing A levels so will have to get them under her belt first. That is something she needs to give more thought to as the B tec won't give her enough points for Uni. Looking at the information online about the DDE, you can do this in modern, tap, ballet etc. Do you know if this means you can do it in several genres at once or does each one have to be done separately and at different times?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, joyofdance said:

Thank you. Yes the possibility of the degree/PGCE is something she is considering in the long term. Because she is doing a 2 yr B tec she isn't doing A levels so will have to get them under her belt first. That is something she needs to give more thought to as the B tec won't give her enough points for Uni. Looking at the information online about the DDE, you can do this in modern, tap, ballet etc. Do you know if this means you can do it in several genres at once or does each one have to be done separately and at different times?

I understand. Unis can be quite accommodating. Especially if they can see the continuous study of a particular subject by a student. Don’t forget any dance exams taken after Grade 6 would give your DD the much needed UCAS points. Including LAMDA examinations. 
I’m not aware of anyone that has studied all 3 genres at the same time as there are so many different grades within each genre to study. I would think it’s quite overwhelming. Having said that I’m sure someone probably has but I personally don’t know of anyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, balletbean said:

I understand. Unis can be quite accommodating. Especially if they can see the continuous study of a particular subject by a student. Don’t forget any dance exams taken after Grade 6 would give your DD the much needed UCAS points. Including LAMDA examinations. 
I’m not aware of anyone that has studied all 3 genres at the same time as there are so many different grades within each genre to study. I would think it’s quite overwhelming. Having said that I’m sure someone probably has but I personally don’t know of anyone. 

Thank you. I suspected that they were stand alone genres. Re the dance exams. She did dance exams in modern, tap, ballet, Greek and if I remember correctly national up until the age of 11. She did grade 6 (might need to check that but I am fairly sure) after that she moved dance schools to a school that didn't do exams. Based on what you say it might be an idea to look at her doing those exams in the next year. I am not sure how feasible that is as I know very little about them.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, joyofdance said:

Thank you. I suspected that they were stand alone genres. Re the dance exams. She did dance exams in modern, tap, ballet, Greek and if I remember correctly national up until the age of 11. She did grade 6 (might need to check that but I am fairly sure) after that she moved dance schools to a school that didn't do exams. Based on what you say it might be an idea to look at her doing those exams in the next year. I am not sure how feasible that is as I know very little about them.  

Good Luck. We all receive an education where our children are concerned 😉of which I believe we all deserve an Honorary degree 👩‍🎓🙂

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

Good Luck. We all receive an education where our children are concerned 😉of which I believe we all deserve an Honorary degree 👩‍🎓🙂

Very true 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are several dance colleges that offer degree courses alongside dance teaching qualifications I think... though funding may need to be checked as im not 100% sure where they stand for student loans etc...

Thinking LSC does this??? There is if course the RAD but I guess the genre focus will be Classical Ballet. Am sure others here will confirm & add additional suggestions.

Many insist too on an Intermediate exam pass as a dance qualification entry requirement so it probably would be a good idea for your DD to get Inter in her one or more of her genres 

Good luck! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you looked at Preston College? It may not be a "big name" but I know of several people who have gone there and speak very highly of their experience there. I think they have a number of course options but unless things have changed very recently you can definitely do teaching qualifications alongside their other courses. The facilities look lovely and Preston isn't a bad place to live, with very good transport links.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Full time substantial dance teacher training apart from the RAD (there may be others).

 

Preston College

https://www.preston.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/PC-Dance-Prospectus-19-web.pdf (finance through student loan though extra cost for DDE)

 

KS Dance

http://ksd-online.co.uk/teachers-course/  (Cecchetti Ballet rather than Imperial)

 

Chichester College with Uni of Chichester - Degree Dance Teaching in the Private Sector with ISTD DDEs (finance through student loan - DDE included)

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/6bc6ef19-5e48-4b32-afbb-5828024c6643?SearchText=

 

Various other well-established part-time teaching courses in all parts of the country for DDE which can be studied alongside further training, work etc.

University of Gloucester used to have DDE offered alongside its Dance degree but not sure if it still has that option.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t you need a pass at intermediate to take the DDE course?

this may be a geographical thing but none of our local schools teach dance anymore, I’ve known people go into primary teaching with a dance degree though

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Passing Intermediate in the genre is one of the units of the DDE. This can be undertaken while doing the course as people come from a range of dance backgrounds and experience.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most secondary schools in my area (South East) have a dance department, and employ graduates with a PGCE. It’s a great way of having a secure income and comparatively sociable working hours (unless it’s production week!). The RAD degree with teacher training is probably the most well respected course provider. (Not least because most headteachers don’t know the difference between RAD and RBS!) 

 

I know a few colleagues who work part time in a secondary school, and part time at their own dance school. It’s a good way to get the best of both worlds, at least initially.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If your DD is doing a BTech L3 Extended Diploma it is the equivalent of 3 A levels and accepted for entry for Uni - 3 x Distinctions or Distinction Stars are the same as 3 x A's at A level. Check out UCAS.

 

Heather akaTaximom

Edited by taximom
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

There are several dance colleges that offer degree courses alongside dance teaching qualifications I think... though funding may need to be checked as im not 100% sure where they stand for student loans etc...

Thinking LSC does this??? There is if course the RAD but I guess the genre focus will be Classical Ballet. Am sure others here will confirm & add additional suggestions.

Many insist too on an Intermediate exam pass as a dance qualification entry requirement so it probably would be a good idea for your DD to get Inter in her one or more of her genres 

Good luck! 

Thank you Peanut

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, taximom said:

If your DD is doing a BTech L3 Extended Diploma it is the equivalent of 3 A levels and accepted for entry for Uni - 3 x Distinctions or Distinction Stars are the same as 3 x A's at A level. Check out UCAS.

 

Heather akaTaximom

Yes she is taxi. That is worth following up thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone for your responses. You have been extremely helpful and given me some great information and possible courses to look at. This is such a good forum to be part of. ❤ 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi just a couple of comments - please do check though that these are accurate as things change so quickly. 
 

ISTD - ballet, tap and modern are taught separately. You can do one at a time or all three together if you wish. 
 

If you don’t have intermediate exams then you can do them as a module as part of your DDE. 
 

You can enter children for exams in the genre you have qualified in - so you don’t have to do all 3 to start teaching. 
 

IDTA - you can enter children for exams in any genre even if you only qualify in one. This really surprised me to be honest but I checked it with them directly (two years ago so may have changed). 
 

If your daughter is happy to start these alongside her btec and stay at home then it’s definitely possible as you can study at your own pace on weekends / evenings. 
 

If she would like to go away to study then I would agree to look at Prestons or KS dance for a course with a teaching focus alongside dance and performing experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is extremely strange about IDTA allowing you to teach all genres when you have only qualified in one! I can’t imagine why that is the case. It could potentially be quite dangerous I would think?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Legseleven said:

That is extremely strange about IDTA allowing you to teach all genres when you have only qualified in one! I can’t imagine why that is the case. It could potentially be quite dangerous I would think?


I believe it’s because they have ‘core subjects’ so much of the training overlaps. It’s not a route we went down in the end as my daughter has always done ISTD syllabus work so it made more sense to continue this with teacher training. 


I hope someone with more experience may see this to clarify but I’ve just found my email communication with them to confirm this is definitely what I was told (the email is from 2018) 


 

 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oliviaT said:


I believe it’s because they have ‘core subjects’ so much of the training overlaps. It’s not a route we went down in the end as my daughter has always done ISTD syllabus work so it made more sense to continue this with teacher training. 


I hope someone with more experience may see this to clarify but I’ve just found my email communication with them to confirm this is definitely what I was told (the email is from 2018) 


 

 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends whether your daughter wishes to enter pupils for exams as in the UK there is, oddly, no legal requirement for a dance teacher working in a private studio situation to have any dance teaching qualifications at all. The route would be to complete a teacher training course with an awarding organisation such as the ISTD, bbodance, RAD, IDTA etc which all offer various teacher training qualifications. RBS has a teaching course but those I know who have done this are also qualified with other bodies. Some of these give credit for prior learning and they all have distance learning/locally based learning options. Do read the rubric very carefully as some clearly state that they are 'general' dance teaching and then the trainee teacher would have to spend more time learning and increasing knowledge of a particular syllabus/organisation's style and costs can mount up. 

 

Do look for teacher training that offers good current input on child/adolescent development, safeguarding and safe dance practice and which is headed up by dance practitioners who are in touch with what it is like to work in a studio situation.

 

If your daughter has focused on training in a particular ballet method, she may feel drawn towards studying with that particular awarding body. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pointe3 said:

my dd will be graduating with a degree in professional performance & dance this year, what is the route into teaching ballet? Thanks

Straight from  Vocational training ?  via PGCE and/or  the  'standard route' teacher training  from the various awarding bodies  ( which is why some of the  vocational providers  incorporate it into their course to overlap the theoretical teaching) 

not sure how much professional performing experience is needed for PDTD  https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/programme/professional-dancers-teaching-diploma-pdtd/  but the  d teacher i know with  PDT had a number of years of contracts and/or jobbing freelance professional performing work before doing  it 

Edited by NJH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pointe3 said:

my dd will be graduating with a degree in professional performance & dance this year, what is the route into teaching ballet? Thanks

 

Hello Pointe3 and welcome to the Forum!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi BalletCoForum,

 

There have been lots of interesting and helpful responses to the original post about routes to gaining the ISTD DDE. 

 

Chichester College offers several routes to gaining the DDE and as course leader for these teaching qualification pathways I thought I’d provide a bit more information. 

 

The college offers a DDE standalone part-time course for: students/teachers who have already achieved the ISTD DDI; for mature dance professionals who wish to move into dance teaching in the private sector; or for young students who wish to gain a Level 4 independent dance teaching qualification but who do not wish to study for a degree. 

 

Young students can commence a DDE from the age of 17, but it is highly recommended that they first complete a Level 3 qualification (A levels/ Level 3 Diplomas) as they are unable to undertake the teaching practice units of the DDE until they reach 18 years of age and some units of the DDE have a Level 4 expectation. 

 

For students who register before the age of 19 the course is fully funded and hence there are no tuition fees.  

 

The College also offers a Foundation Degree in partnership with Chichester University, which gives students who wish to study dance at degree level and gain a DDE in ballet, modern and tap - two qualifications for the price of one!  On completion of this 2 year course, students have the option of graduating with a Level 5 Foundation Degree and DDE or, continuing their studies on the University of Chichester’s Level 6 BA Honours Degree or the ISTD Level 6 Diploma in Dance Pedagogy (DDP), which Chichester College is proud to announce will be included in its portfolio of ISTD qualifications from September 2021. 

 

For more information about the Foundation Degree, take a look at this video:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DwfrwV3r88wvu0HcJU8EHi5ZIPytELJW/view?usp=sharing

 

Here are the course details on the Chichester college website: https://www.chichester.ac.uk/study-courses/course-list/cfra005f-dance-teaching-in-the-private-sector-foundation-degree-

 

Here are some dance clips of current DDE and Foundation Degree students on Chichester College’s Higher Education Facebook page: https://fb.watch/5Fd1cko1L6/

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...