I hope there will be season end promotions this year as dancers have such short carers and they all missed out last year. Also they have had stage experience with the earlier performances and (hopefully) all the summer concerts. I would imagine Anna Rose O'Sullivan will be the next female principal, given all the roles she has been given. Mayara Magri and Fumi Kaneko may also be in the running but if there is only one (and of course no guarantees of even one) then I think Anna will get it. Re the men, that's slightly more difficult. I would imagine Reece Clarke, William Bracewell and Cesar Coralles would be in the running for principals but I wouldn't like to choose one.

Perhaps Isabella Gasparini and Benjamin Ella from soloist to First soloist.

The lower ranks I don't really know so well but it would be good to see Joseph Sissens, Theo Dubreuil  and Leticia Stock promoted to soloist.

Also at least some of the Aud Jebsen dancers and possibly the Prix de Lausanne dancer, Marco Masciari given permanent contracts.

These are only my wild guesses. I'm sure there are far more knowledgeable people who can guess more accurately.

• Like 2

I agree that:

• it would be only right (and nice for us) to see some RB promotions this year
  • the front-runners to become Principals are surely, as @jmhopton says, Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Fumi Kaneko and Mayara Magri on the female side and Bracewell, Clarke and Coralles among the men
  • this year's Aud Jebsen Young Dancers and the Prix de Lausanne Apprentice would appear to have a good chance of obtaining permanent contracts, especially given that there were a number of leavers last autumn.

I also agree about Teo Dubreuil and Joseph Sissens  being promoted to Soloist. Leo Dixon, David Donnelly and Ashley Dean also seem to be 'making their case' to be at that level. I would leave the current Soloists where they are, not least because Isabella Gasparini and Romany Padjak were promoted there only two years ago and the First Soloist rank is quite crowded.

The Artists likely to be promoted to First Artist, in my view are: Leticia Dias, Mariko Sasaki and, maybe, Sae Maeda, Giacomo Rovero and Stanislav Wegrzyn,  although it was good to see others shining in the streamed Draft Works.

It does seem that some First Soloists, including those who once seemed destined for 'higher things', have now been overtaken in the queue to be Principals. All the same, James Hay's name continues to jump out at me. What do others think?

I have a feeling that the 'order of precedence' has shifted over the past year, with Reece Clarke having been promoted from Soloist mid 19/20 season  and Anna Rose O'Sullivan staking an ever stronger claim for the 'top spot', including, of course, being nominated by the Critics Circle for Best Dancer, which is a most unusual accolade for a dancer who is not (yet) a Principal. And look who both Anna Rose and Reece are partnering over the coming weeks!!!!

Edited by capybara
typo
  • Like 8

11 minutes ago, capybara said:

It does seem that some First Soloists, including those who once seemed destined for 'higher things', have now been overtaken in the queue to be Principals. All the same, James Hay's name continues to jump out at me. What do others think?

I haven't been around long enough to know whether all the current First Soloists have had their own spell of getting plenty of Principal roles like Magri, Kaneko and O'Sullivan have in my time but I think those three are all getting promoted soonish

Guest oncnp
50 minutes ago, capybara said:

I agree that:

• it would be only right (and nice for us) to see some RB promotions this year
  •  

It may be  "right" but with £65,000,000 to find, not sure it's financially prudent. And there are cost reduction clauses in the government loan programs. 

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

It may be  "right" but with £65,000,000 to find, not sure it's financially prudent. And there are cost reduction clauses in the government loan programs. 

I suspect - actually, I know from talking with dancers (but not any of those I have named) - that having the status of Principal or Soloist is usually more important than the salary hike. 
Not that extra money isn’t nice, of course.

Aren’t dancers in most companies still on 80% or 90% of their salaries (with many seemingly ‘topping up’ by branching out into secondary activities)?

And, having ‘shed’ dancers last year, I have noted the some companies have since recruited or advertised.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, capybara said:

Aren’t dancers in most companies still on 80% or 90% of their salaries (with many seemingly ‘topping up’ by branching out into secondary activities)?

And, having ‘shed’ dancers last year, I have noted the some companies have since recruited or advertised.

"....still on 80% or 90% of their salaries ?" - source? Not doubting, just interested. 

45 minutes ago, oncnp said:

"....still on 80% or 90% of their salaries ?" - source? Not doubting, just interested. 

It was a question based on a statement from Alex Beard a few months back during a Zoom-type session for ROH supporters. 

Guest oncnp
21 minutes ago, capybara said:

It was a question based on a statement from Alex Beard a few months back during a Zoom-type session for ROH supporters. 

Thanks. I had imagined the financial impact to be much worse given the 20% pay cut and the government flexi-furlough scheme. 

7 hours ago, capybara said:

Sadly, not "most companies".  I'm assuming that those who are salaried were furloughed, and that the Government is therefore paying whatever percentage of their salaries is currently appropriate.  But dancers in a number of companies are freelance, and may well have fallen between the cracks, like so many others in the creative industries - and elsewhere.

9 hours ago, capybara said:
  • the front-runners to become Principals are surely, as @jmhopton says, Anna Rose O'Sullivan, Fumi Kaneko and Mayara Magri on the female side and Bracewell, Clarke and Coralles among the men

[...]

Hay would (of course) still be my first choice (I think I'd say that he's technically a better dancer than just about any of the male principals, barring one obvious one :) ), with Bracewell (very) close behind, but I'm not convinced that Kevin O'Hare would agree with me, based on his casting decisions.  I'd also suggest that Kaneko might have "seniority" over O'Sullivan, given the fact that her career has been held back by some nasty injuries, but we shall see.

Personally, I think it would be distinctly odd to have promotions - certainly to Principal - after a year in which so few performances have been given (and especially since I think that, of the forthcoming three programmes, only the Balanchine/Robbins bill would really seem to give an opportunity for a dancer to make a case for promotion), but O'Hare has previously demonstrated that he doesn't necessarily stick to making promotions at the end of the season, so why not perhaps at the end of the year, assuming that the company has been able to put on a reasonable number of performances by then?  And then, of course, there is still the constraint of finances. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, oncnp said:

those with  contracts at the point of the first lockdown could have been  furloughed  and then  brought back to flexi furlough

I think O’Sullivan is definitely a favourite, she’s got a unique sparky quality that will make her stand out. I think Kaneko of course will no doubt become a principal, hopefully soon. As for Magri, I worry she may fall under the same fate of Choe, a fan favourite that for one reason or another doesn’t quite make that final hurdle. Unlike O’Sullivan; Magri is far more typecast in “sassy” roles, hopefully her swan lake debut will let her flex her other abilities. 

Personally I’d be very happy to see Stix-Brunell promoted, she has such brilliant artistry and really embodies every role. For someone with such a rapid rise to her rank I wonder why she isn’t brought up in these conversations. I think in a company as large as the royal there shouldn’t be a need for every principal to be a “catch all” principal, who *must* possess virtuosic technique with a bit of artistry artistry (this isn’t to say that the principals are all phenomenons without any artistic qualities).

I feel the focus should be on the fact that there is an open spot to fill for a male principal currently, and I personally think Corrales is the most deserving despite his short time with the company. Would be equally happy to see Bracewell or Clarke clinch it, and perhaps they’ll want to keep a healthy amount of British dancers at the principal rank (not something I think matters but has been brought in up before).

Regarding the other ranks, I’d like to see Maeda, Sissens, Stock, and Dias climb the ladder. And while this isn’t probably a long shot for now but I’d really like to see Pajdak move up a rank- if not, get a good amount of featured roles to work with. In the same way as Stix-Brunell, I think she has a presence that surpasses the technical. 

• Like 4

I also think that it would be odd and rather anti-climactic to have promotions at the moment, since there has been almost no dancing in the last year. But if anyone is promoted I will still be very happy for them!

I also hope that Stix-Brunell will be promoted, though I don't think it will be this year. And I would love James Hay to be promoted; he doesn't get the exposure that others get, but his pure, unshowy dancing is a joy to behold.

• Like 9

I, too, am a great admirer of Beatriz Stix Brunell but, unfortunately, she seems to have spent a significant amount of time injured and, noticeably, is not reprising her usual role in Golden Hour.

The concept of ‘filling a vacancy’ may not apply.

(The RB dancers certainly were on furlough initially. Also,  it wasn't my intention to appear to overlook all the wonderful freelancers in our ballet world.)

Edited by capybara

It must  be  very difficult to decide on promotions in such a talented company at the best of times. It's hard enough for a naïve  ballet-lover such as me to choose  between these dancers, but  those that actually have to make  real-life decisions will have a myriad of crucial  factors to consider.  I suspect  at present our various predictions/wishes  are likely to be more in hope than expectation... that said, these are  my own current  fantasies, which Kevin O' Hare is free to turn into realty  as soon as practicable...! 

O'Sullivan and Magri to Principal (more O'Sullivan/Sambe,  Magri/Ball casting please), Pajdak to First Soloist, Bradbury and Grennell to Soloists, Sasaki (Mariko)  and Yu Hang to First Artists.

Bracewell and Hay to Principal (more casting for either with Takada please),   Edmonds and Richardson to First Soloists, Donnelly and Dubreuil to  Soloists,  Jun and Junker to First Artists.

And give contracts to all the young dancers we saw on the Stream...!

• Like 3

I'm quite new to the ballet world so this are more my hopeful prediction based on my personal taste rather than actual realistic predictions. 

I don't really envy O'Hare, it must be so difficul to make promotions in a company so filled of talent.

So, O'Sullivan and Magri for principal, Pajdak and Hinkis for first soloist, M. Sasaki, Yu Hang and Dias for first artist. 

For the men, Bracewell and/or Hay for principal (also Clarke in a couple of Years), Richardson and Edmonds for first soloist, Sissens and Braenrod for soloist, Jun, Junker and Wegrzyn for first artist. 

Of course, not all of them in one year 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4

Nothing personal, but I would put Kaneko, then Stix-Brunell ahead of Magri for promotion to Principal.  It may be that I’ve seen less of Magri in Principal roles but I see Kaneko and Stix-Brunell as more rounded dancers (and the latter’s acting is also excellent).  Like James, I was surprised not to see Kaneko promoted after her stellar performance in Sleeping Beauty. 

I too would like to see Hay promoted to Principal; unlike alison I wouldn’t put him ahead of Ball technically but he is a beautiful dancer with wonderful stage presence and one I always look forward to watching. 

If she hasn’t already been mentioned, I’d like to see Annette Buvoli promoted, along with Leticia Dias.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Nothing personal, but I would put Kaneko, then Stix-Brunell ahead of Magri for promotion to Principal.  It may be that I’ve seen less of Magri in Principal roles but I see Kaneko and Stix-Brunell as more rounded dancers (and the latter’s acting is also excellent).  Like James, I was surprised not to see Kaneko promoted after her stellar performance in Sleeping Beauty. 

I too would like to see Hay promoted to Principal; unlike alison I wouldn’t put him ahead of Ball technically but he is a beautiful dancer with wonderful stage presence and one I always look forward to watching. 

If she hasn’t already been mentioned, I’d like to see Annette Buvoli promoted, along with Leticia Dias.

Oh my God yes for Buvoli. I really like her stage presence, I remember her in Coppelia

Edited by Raven
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Chiari said:

O'Sullivan and Magri for principal, Pajdak and Hinkis for first soloist, M. Sasaki, Yu Hang and Dias for first artist. 

For the men, Bracewell and/or Hay for principal (also Clarke in a couple of Years), Richardson and Edmonds for first soloist, Sissens and Braenrod for soloist, Jun, Junker and Wegrzyn for first artist

Chiari your selections are similar to mine, but you are rather more generous!

8 hours ago, LACAD said:

I feel the focus should be on the fact that there is an open spot to fill for a male principal currently

I've never been a fan of "filling vacancies" with promotions in companies - there have been several occasions I can remember where dancers appear to have been moved up largely to fill a gap and it didn't actually seem to benefit either the dancer in question or the company - I think all promotions should be based more or less solely on merit.  (Not that there is any shortage of "merited" cases at the moment, anyway :) )  I am, however, aware that Kevin O'Hare does seem sometimes to promote earlier, with more of an eye to the future, than his predecessors.  But I think that an attitude of "principal A has left, so now B can be promoted" would be a bit disrespectful to both parties - and might well place additional stress on B if it was felt that they were "stepping into A's shoes" rather than being allowed to develop on their own merits, and in their own direction.  I mean, can you imagine, some years in the future, a First Soloist "stepping into the shoes" of a Muntagirov or Nunez?!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alison said:

But I think that an attitude of "principal A has left, so now B can be promoted" would be a bit disrespectful to both parties - and might well place additional stress on B if it was felt that they were "stepping into A's shoes"

And equally can make A look like a bed-blocker!

• Like 4

I think of "filling the vacancies" in terms of finance rather than taking another dancer's place, as in presumably the RB budget only allows a maximum number of Principals so if all those Principal salaries are being used then it would require a Principal to leave before another dancer could be promoted to a Principal salary.

Magri & Corrales would be my top picks for Principal promotion but that's from a romantic point of view rather than a techincal one! I don't know enough to judge dancers' techniques, I just like to see real-life partners dancing together, and as Principals usually dance with other Principals that would be facilitated by Magri & Corrales promoted to the same level as Ball & Hayward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Magri & Corrales would be my top picks for Principal promotion but that's from a romantic point of view rather than a techincal one! I don't know enough to judge dancers' techniques, I just like to see real-life partners dancing together, and as Principals usually dance with other Principals that would be facilitated by Magri & Corrales promoted to the same level as Ball & Hayward.

I think promoting on the basis of whom a dancer is in a relationship with would be very foolish.

• Like 3

Did I misunderstand your post Dawnstar but Corrales and Magri are not partners in real life. 
Did you mean if they were both promoted they would then be able to dance with their respective partners who are already Principals? 
Though two Principals are not always cast together anyway. 
Principal promotions must be very difficult to decide. 
There are those who have beautiful technique and pure classical style who catch your eye and are a joy to watch like James Hay ( with Sissens fast coming up) and those who have that extra something and panache and make you ( well me anyway) want to see them in every role as you know there could be that special occasion like Corrales. I’d be happy to see these two promoted in the next year especially as Corrales was a Principal with ENB before joining the Royal. 
The female Principal promotions are too difficult to call for me at the moment...so much talent in RB currently!! 
I agree it would be reasonable to hold off on promotions just at this point and perhaps wait until January in the New Year. 

Folks, I've no idea who, outside theatres, is partnered with whom - and I've no idea who is correct (above) here.  But it does strike me that casual references to relationships is not helping discussion at all.  And can we please not now have an argument here about who is correct.  I don't care, but the individuals being named will almost certainly do so.  

• Like 6

I can remove my post if you like Ian Macmillan though personally I’m interested in good ballet partnerships in terms of performance rather than what’s going on in real life ones! 
I’m not on Instagram and don’t follow any dancers on any social media as many do but many dancers do put their life and relationships out there these days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

I think promoting on the basis of whom a dancer is in a relationship with would be very foolish.

I am obviously not seriously suggesting that Kevin O'Hare would use that as a criterion!

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Did I misunderstand your post Dawnstar but Corrales and Magri are not partners in real life. 
Did you mean if they were both promoted they would then be able to dance with their respective partners who are already Principals?

Yes, the latter. I thought Hayward & Corrales had incredible chemistry when they danced R&J together, and was not at all surprised to read some months later that they had fallen for each other while doing those roles, so I'd like to see them dance together more (I had tickets for their Swan Lake joint debuts but we all know that didn't happen). Magri & Ball I've only seen dance together in videos, including their Carousel pdd back in the autumn, and from those I'd like to see them dance together in full length ballets. So, since Principals tend to dance most with others at the same rank, I thought if Magri & Corrales both got promoted then it might help.

In case anyone thinks I am breaching privacy, both couples have been very open about their respective relationships both in media interviews & on social media over the last year or more.

It's public knowledge who the two couples are....having been discussed on the BBC and the ROH stream. Corrales and Hayward are together, Ball and Magri together.

• Like 1

Of course you could say the dancers might not want to read and might mind about what we think about who should be promoted or not! 
I always feel in two minds about taking part in these sort of threads. 
So with that in mind I would like the moderators to remove my post ( the one before Ian Macmillan on the previous page. 
Many thanks 

Linda