Associate programmes in Scotland

Fizzyliz

Hello,

First time posting!

My daughter is auditioning for part time programmes- she has been accepted at Edinburgh Festival Ballet and SMB. The Scottish Ballet auditions have been moved to July.

I have no experience of any of these programmes (she did an associate programme with another company we shall not talk about and didn’t particularly enjoy it). She (we) will need to make a decision about EFB and SMB before she’s even had the SB audition now- does anyone have any experience/knowledge of these programmes???

I’ve heard SB classes can be large? EFB have a maximum of 20 per class... but as they are new they obviously don’t have the presence/reputation of the other two...

I’ve also heard S-M B Company is very different to the dance company Sara-Maria Barton was involved with....

any thoughts/experience would be gratefully received!

Things to consider:

Class size

Who will be teaching? 

Studios/facilities

What will she get from it that she won't get in her regular training? 

Is reputation important to you or your DD? My DD danced for many years as an associate with a small ballet company who don't have the 'big name' reputation and received individual attention, regular pas de deux training and experience with professional dancers and regular performance experience on stage. Her confidence and love of dance grew immeasurably. Invaluable. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Encroix said:

Things to consider:

Class size

Who will be teaching? 

Studios/facilities

What will she get from it that she won't get in her regular training? 

Is reputation important to you or your DD? My DD danced for many years as an associate with a small ballet company who don't have the 'big name' reputation and received individual attention, regular pas de deux training and experience with professional dancers and regular performance experience on stage. Her confidence and love of dance grew immeasurably. Invaluable. 

Love it, lucky lady, you have listed everything we held dear during the training years 

Reputation is not particularly important to either of us.. I’d much rather she was happy and received quality training. She is slightly more swayed towards to schools she has heard about for the last few years.

Agree class size would be good to know- EFB are clear but I’m hoping someone can enlighten me about class sizes of the others?!

20 minutes ago, Fizzyliz said:

Reputation is not particularly important to either of us.. I’d much rather she was happy and received quality training. She is slightly more swayed towards to schools she has heard about for the last few years.

Agree class size would be good to know- EFB are clear but I’m hoping someone can enlighten me about class sizes of the others?!

Good luck with choosing and with the SB audition. Lucky girl to have a choice! X

I can definitely recommend s-mb company. My daughter has thoroughly enjoyed it this year, despite being mostly on zoom. 
The classes are varied and really informative, also they aren’t as basic as a lot of the other associates. My dd is a JA and finds S-MB a good contrast, learning the trickier things and being able to give everything a go. 

What level is your daughter applying for at SB? DD is currently in level 1 Mid associates which is for S1 so one weekly class with around 25-28 children. Good number of boys accepted on the class - maybe 8 or so in our class. 
She applied for EFB last year and was accepted but in the end we didn’t accept the place simply due to class time conflicts as DD wanted to do RCS junior conservatoire aswell. RCS juniors is a good class because they only have about 15 in my daughter’s group and she has the same teacher in this class as she does for her Scottish Ballet Mids class. So again, excellent teaching. 

• Like 1

For anyone interested in RCS Junior Conservatoire, I just noticed on their Facebook page that they are going to be delivering a Modern Ballet class in Edinburgh. This used to only be offered in Glasgow. Looks like closing date for next session is 17 May. 

• 11 months later...