Simply one of the all time greats; ... someone who deserves the title 'legendary' .... not only as a dancer but as a man of dance.  He changed our world forever.  We were VERY lucky to live in his time.  May he rest in the glorious peace he oh, so well deserves.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 7

The NYT obituary is here.

(Mr. d’Amboise, Clive Barnes wrote in The New York Times in 1976, “is not just a dancer, he is an institution.”  ....  In a 2018 interview, the City Ballet dancer Adrian Danchig-Waring described the qualities that Mr. d’Amboise had embodied as a dancer: “There’s this machismo that is sometimes required onstage — that bravura, that swagger, that confidence, and we all have to learn to cultivate that, and yet it’s such a huge canon of work. Within that, there are poets and dreamers and animals. Jacques is a reminder that all of that can be contained in one body.”)

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Oh, this deeply saddens me!

Jacques d’Amboise was one of the first celebrated dancers who I saw when he danced as a guest with Ballets de San Juan (Puerto Rico) during the the early ‘60s. I’ll never forget the overall JOY that he conveyed, even more than the technical steps. 

May he Rest In Peace. 

• Like 5

What an inspirational wonderful man and such a great dancer! From admiring him in Seven Brides and memorised by Carousel.  I spent my youth day dreaming of dancing the pdd from Carousel with him.....thankful we have so much of him on film. 🙏🏽RiP🙏🏽

• Like 2
  • alison changed the title to Jacques d'Amboise RIP