RAD IF exam - make up?

Confuddled

Dd is about to do her IF exam, and her teacher has advised that she should wear make up. I’m happy to let her, but wanted to check with some of the knowledgeable people here what sort / how much? Her teacher is lovely but super busy, and it seems a minor thing that I should be able to sort out without asking her. I don’t wear make up myself, and nor does dd, so we’ve just got some left over from shows before covid. DD is a young-looking 12, if that makes a difference.

Mods - I’ve had a search but not found anything relevant, if I’ve missed it please do just link!

Not that it's got anything to do with dance but my Mum took me (dragged me???) into our local Woolies at the age of 12 to get me some makeup (well I was probably nearer 13)!!

Are any of her friends taking the same exam?  Are they going to be wearing makeup.

As a makeup obsessive I would recommend something very light (nothing like full stage makeup), possibly a tinted moisturiser or a sheer foundation, mascara and a lip gloss with possibly the tiniest smudge of eyeshadow on her lid.

• Like 1

I wonder if it’s because it’s similar to a stage if she’s dancing in a bigger studio for her first vocational grade. A little very soft blusher and mascara can brighten the face and open the eyes and the teacher may well think this will help? 

My dd started to wear very subtle make up like this for exams etc at about the same age but it should just be about lightly accentuating her face and not painting it x 

Of course if your dd would prefer not to, go with what makes her feel most comfortable and confident x 

• Like 3

She’s doing it with one other girl - I’ll check with her mum, that’s a good idea. 

I think the suggestions of some blusher, mascara and tinted lip gloss would work well. DD’s skin is lovely, and I suspect anything I buy would make it look worse rather than better!

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

• Like 3

Dd didn’t wear anything except waterproof mascara even for Advanced 2, so I definitely wouldn’t worry too much for Inter Foundation!   Neatness and tidy hair were the order of the day at RAD HQ - exams aren’t like shows where the lights bleach you out and the audience is miles away. 

Good luck for the exam. ☺️

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Dd didn’t wear anything except waterproof mascara even for Advanced 2, so I definitely wouldn’t worry too much for Inter Foundation!   Neatness and tidy hair were the order of the day at RAD HQ - exams aren’t like shows where the lights bleach you out and the audience is miles away. 

Good luck for the exam. ☺️

Ooh, that’s a good point - I hadn’t realised the mascara should be waterproof.

This exam has been delayed for so long, it’s going to be really good to have done it finally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peony said:

Are the boys also told to wear make up? If the answer is no I’d say it is not necessary at all

Good point. It opens up a whole can of worms about expectations of girls versus boys, gender stereotyping and societal pressure. I wish we held boys and girls to the same standards (in life, not just in ballet), but in practice society just doesn’t, and if it might help dd in the exam to wear make up, then that’s what she’ll do.

22 minutes ago, Anna C said:

Is the exam studio very big?  If not, I’m still slightly confused as to why makeup has been suggested for Inter Foundation, and why it might help.  Did the teacher elaborate?

It’s RAD headquarters - I’ve never been there so I’ve no idea of the size of the studio. I assume they have quite a few studios to choose from? Anyway, I’m happy to go with whatever her teacher thinks is best.

31 minutes ago, Confuddled said:

It’s RAD headquarters - I’ve never been there so I’ve no idea of the size of the studio. I assume they have quite a few studios to choose from? Anyway, I’m happy to go with whatever her teacher thinks is best.

Yes, there are lots of studios but no huge ones (they haven’t moved from Battersea Sq yet, have they?).  Genée is probably the biggest but dd only had Advanced 2 classes and exams in there.  Her other vocational exams were in the smaller studios.

Best of luck - allow plenty of time for the journey, especially if it’s a Sunday! ☺️ 

• Like 1

Our teacher doesn’t advise it for the younger ones, the older ones might wear mascara and a light base, but if she doesn’t want to I don’t think she would look out of place at all. Mine always found make up uncomfortable for performances and would be rubbing their face and eyes!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Confuddled said:

She’s doing it with one other girl - I’ll check with her mum, that’s a good idea. 

I think the suggestions of some blusher, mascara and tinted lip gloss would work well. DD’s skin is lovely, and I suspect anything I buy would make it look worse rather than better!

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

DD's friends did an exam at RAD HQ last year and non wore make-up and they are all 13/14.

If, you say your daughter has nice skin and is comfortable without then no-make is needed.  One less thing to stress about or detract from the dancing.  Neat hair, clean tights and shoes and no visible knicker line are more important.  And yes ask if any boys are being asked to wear make-up. 😉

Good luck to her - it is hard after such a long wait.  We have just been through it too.

• Like 5

Over the years, all my students have taken their vocational exams in the Genee. The only ones to wear make-up were the slightly older students and then it was light eye make-up with a light base if they did not feel happy about their skin. I would advise your daughter to do whatever makes her feel confident within the RAD guidelines.

Good luck to all candidates doing exams in these very challenging times.

• Like 2

Some 12 year olds regularly wear make up and feel uncomfortable without it.  But if your dd doesn't usually wear make up I would probably avoid it for the exam.  If the teacher thinks it is important to wear make up, then at least have dd practice a bit before hand.  Even just a little foundation and mascara feels strange and uncomfortable if you're not used to it.

• Like 2