Katherine Barber (toursenlair)

The BalletcoForum Committee has learned with sadness of the passing of our long-time member and contributor, Katherine Barber.  Katherine posted as "toursenlair" which was the name of her international travel business, wherein she organised cultural (especially ballet) trips around the world.  Until relatively recently she continued to provide us with information on ballet streams and events in various countries.

I am sure forum members will join the Committee in extending our deepest condolences to Katherine's family and friends.  We thank her for her long association with the forum (dating way back to the days of ballet.co.uk), and for her contributions, international information, and an always-interesting take on various issues.  She will be missed.

Simonetta Dixon

Chair

BalletcoForum Committee (on behalf of the Forum Moderators)

• Like 15

• Sim changed the title to Katherine Barber (toursenlair)

Oh no, what a dreadful shock.  I'm so sorry to hear this dreadful news.

I first met Katherine at a BRB talk with Robert Parker and bumped into her in all sorts of places including Munich in 2012.

Sincere condolences to her family and friends.

• Like 9

Oh no. Awful news. Katherine and I met in Stuttgart a couple of times, and also discussed accommodation and sightseeing options for a small part of one of her trips to the South of France.

She was a kind, caring, communicative and knowledgeable soul.

Sincere condolences to her loved ones. Rest in peace, Katherine.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Apart from her ballet interest, I became aware through my sister who has lived in Canada since the 70s that Katherine was a noted lexicographer.  So much so that she has a Wikipedia page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Barber

This has reminded me of her contributions to this thread about using the various forms of "bravo" in an anglophone context - all done without once mentioning her credentials.

• Like 8

I'm so sorry to read this. I met Katherine at Stuttgart, she initially followed Robert Tewsley, whom she adored, when he moved here from NBoC, and then came again and again to see the company or the Mariinsky at Baden-Baden. She was a real aficionado for ballet, so very knowledgeable and wise, also prudent to let other people keep their own opinions about dancers and choreography. I will miss her.

• Like 11

Oh that is very sad! Admittedly, I have never met her but did subscribe to her newsletter and always thought her Tours en l’air enterprise was such a wonderful way of sharing her passion for ballet with other ballet lovers. May she rest in peace.

• Like 7

So saddened to know the passing of  Katherine Barber. Such a passionate, knowledgeable, kind, generous and lovely lady. I met her several times in Tokyo, Toronto and other cities and was looking forward to see her again. Rest in peace. The ballet world is not the same without her.

• Like 4

I'm shocked and sad...I was hoping to meet her here in Berlin, we were in contact last year when she planned again a travel to Germany for ballet enthusiasts. Sadly, this went south due to Corona. I also enjoyed reading her newsletters, written with so much insight and love for ballet. May she rest in peace, my condolences to her family .😢

• Like 2

I'm so sorry to read this. I only met Katherine once, in Stuttgart in 2016, but enjoyed reading her posts here and her blog.

Apart from ballet we had a love of cats in common. My deepest condolences to her family and friends.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

How awful to die only 2 weeks after a cancer diagnosis. I hope she at least had time to say goodbye to all her family & friends.

Yes, absolutely.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I've forwarded it to my sister over in Montreal who knew her slightly.  There was an Obit in the Globe and Mail a week or so ago but it was, like most things now, for Subscribers only.

Fascinated to see that her Dad was RCAF and later RAF, but I can't believe she didn't care for the work of that hirsute polymath, Robertson Davies.  I picked up one of his books on-spec once at Heathrow and that led to my getting just about everything else in the years that followed.  Hugely entertaining.

• Like 1

Ian, I was shocked to read the comment about Robertson Davies.  I'm not a lover of short stories but I've read all his full length novels and class Lyre of Orpheus as one of my all-time favourite reads.

Katherine was most definitely a lady of eclectic tastes and an ardent follower of ballet.

I don't think it means Katherine really hated the excellent Robertson Davies. The point is, I think, that in her professional search for the typical, the average, the representative Canadian language, his work was not helpful- as he is too original.

I am sure she would in fact have very much appreciated his special genius.

Such a sad loss to the forum.

• Like 3