Virgin Voyages auditioning

Jan McNulty

On 23/04/2021 at 16:14, cotes du rhone ! said:

I think my Dd chose poorly in doing ballet 🤔 There seems to be lots of job opportunities in Belly Dancing 🤣

As an amateur bellydancer I can say possibly there are more jobs than in ballet.  That said the bellydance professional community has its own selection and bias issues.  Pretty, petite white women who fit a certain aesthetic get jobs a lot more easily than BAME dancers or plus size dancers.  There's a real tension and disjunct between the cultures where bellydance originated (Egypt, North Africa and Turkey) and the sort of people the public want to see dancing.  I'd also say that a lot of people who watch bellydance (especially in restaurants and clubs) don't have the best attitude and believe that the dancers are easy or available.  Every dancer I know (me included) has a story about men saying gross things and trying to get a private dance.  

That said bellydance is a lot of fun to do.  I love it.  It's the best way of cutting loose I know and it's also good for toning the muscles.  I do ballet and find it clears my head to focus on my technique but I do bellydance because it makes me laugh and feel good.  

• Like 5