RBS Mid Associates

Dainty dancers mum

2 hours ago, valentina said:

It is extremely rare for students to be assessed out. It does happen occasionally, but I think it's usually because a student hasn't been able to attend classes for whatever reason, maybe illness or injury or discipline issues, rather than they are not meeting the standards generally.

Cant remember how we heard, but I think it was a couple of lines in an email. Nothing detailed.

Okay, I thought there might be a report at least. We all received a phone call from the teacher before Christmas as a means of feedback but it was very early days then, they haven’t even finished the first term yet. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Sorry to revive this old thread but I didn’t want to start a new one when my query fits broadly under this. I was just wondering what happens after the MA assessment? First timer with any kind of  RBS associates here. The emails regarding the assessment sound sufficiently ominous - like the offer of another year’s training is dependent on the assessment. I was just wondering, for those who have experience of MA:

- how soon after the assessment do you usually get the results? 
- is it in the form of a detailed report? Are there marks? 
- do they generally assess out?

I’ve never known an MA to be assessed out in classes over the last 3 yrs. I found the assessments a somewhat paper exercise that meant very little. There was no paper work or marks just an email saying your child is through to the next year.

It is independently assessed usually by Mr Annear for boys not sure for girls. 
It’s not in my experience ‘a thing’ to fret about in anyway whatsoever.

23 minutes ago, NotadanceMa said:

I’ve never known an MA to be assessed out in classes over the last 3 yrs. I found the assessments a somewhat paper exercise that meant very little. There was no paper work or marks just an email saying your child is through to the next year.

It is independently assessed usually by Mr Annear for boys not sure for girls. 
It’s not in my experience ‘a thing’ to fret about in anyway whatsoever.

Thank you, that’s very interesting to know. I suppose with centres with more than one MA class it can also determine which class they’ll be placed in next year? 

1 hour ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Thank you, that’s very interesting to know. I suppose with centres with more than one MA class it can also determine which class they’ll be placed in next year? 

They don’t move generally classes, they stay with the same teacher throughout. 

On 10/03/2022 at 10:18, valentina said:

It is extremely rare for students to be assessed out. It does happen occasionally, but I think it's usually because a student hasn't been able to attend classes for whatever reason, maybe illness or injury or discipline issues, rather than they are not meeting the standards generally.

Cant remember how we heard, but I think it was a couple of lines in an email. Nothing detailed.

London MA and SA assessment results are out now. You’re right @valentina, it was a brief email just saying they passed the assessment and that they’re invited for another year. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Has anyone heard anything yet about the timings of the new online body conditioning classes that are to be offered from September? Or the new uniform? I haven’t received anything in my email yet but thought I’d ask on here in case anyone phoned up RBS about these.

not heard anything yet about uniform and haven’t opted to do the online body conditioning so can’t comment on that 

@ballerinamama I can tell you exactly:

Stand facing the front, side and back

Pliés, tendus, relevés and grands battements in 4 counts at the barre

Sautés in 1st, changements, galops, spring points and temps levés (hops)

Arabesque

Improvisation (this year, they had to be an Autumn leaf)

Hamstring stretch, cobra, side splits

A reverence

So more of a normal ballet class than the JA audition.

14 minutes ago, MissEmily said:

Arabesque

A reverence

Would that have been the audition to WL too? 

2 hours ago, MissEmily said:

Arabesque

A reverence

Oh wow, thank you. That’s interesting. Is side splits a box/middles splits? 

1 hour ago, Ballerinamama said:

Thank you so much for the info! Can I ask, is it pretty much a given that they need to be flat in box/middle splits? 

For Mid Associates, I wouldn’t have thought so (not sure about WL or other full time schools). I heard some professional ballerinas don’t have completely flat box/middle splits and to be honest, I don’t think there is a need for them once actually dancing on stage? 

3 hours ago, Ballerinamama said:

Thank you so much for the info! Can I ask, is it pretty much a given that they need to be flat in box/middle splits? 

My DS had excellent (though not necessary) box splits in October when we submitted our application to WL/MA’s. After a rapid and gruelling growth spurt, growing 10cm by the time of reaching finals in March, they were VERY far from perfect. I wouldn’t personally worry at all about flexibility right now. It comes and goes with growth spurts and for some is always a challenge and work in progress. Though not necessarily a barrier. 

• Like 1

@BallerinamamaWhilst the RBS does seem extremely preoccupied with flat turn-out (my pupil is a couple of degrees off and I was told this was why she wasn’t offered White Lodge finals) she was offered MAs in the first round of offers, and her box splits are good, but not flat. In fact she said hers were the “worst” in the room except for the boys, yet only four girls in her MA class received offers from RBS (two for WL and two for MAs) so it can’t be a deal-breaker.

10 hours ago, MissEmily said:

@BallerinamamaWhilst the RBS does seem extremely preoccupied with flat turn-out (my pupil is a couple of degrees off and I was told this was why she wasn’t offered White Lodge finals) she was offered MAs in the first round of offers, and her box splits are good, but not flat. In fact she said hers were the “worst” in the room except for the boys, yet only four girls in her MA class received offers from RBS (two for WL and two for MAs) so it can’t be a deal-breaker.

Thank you so much, this is all useful info. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

12 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

The personnel at RBS Associate scheme (usually Sylvia Hubbard) have always been very helpful in giving feedback to teachers of applicants, but they don't to parents.

Sylvia has retired. Victoria Collinson is the Associate Programme and Primary Steps Artistic Manager now. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2022 at 08:54, Fairydust said:

@MissEmilycan I ask how you got the feedback from WL audition please? My DD was at year 7 finals this year due to start London MAs in September.  I'd love to get some feedback but didn't think this was possible? 

I’m not sure about WL auditions, but certainly for Associate auditions RBS is willing to provide feedback but I believe it’s only to teachers - not parents. And certainly for Associates, they would only give feedback to the teacher actually named on the application form (as some people with multiple teachers found out!).

• Thanks 1

On 21/06/2022 at 07:22, MissEmily said: