Pennsylvania Ballet - Digital Season - Spring 2021

Having really enjoyed the free digital streamings from PAB last year, I treated myself to a ticket for the Spring 2021 digital season which comprises 3 programmes.

I watched the first programme last week.  Quite unusually 3 of the four pieces were streamed with 2 casts and I watched both of them with equal enjoyment.  I enjoyed the format of the stream in that each item could be watched individually so you could watch them in any order. 

First up I watched Clear by Stanton Welch to music by Bach.  I thought this was a delight, danced by 10 men and one lady.  I loved the fast, deft footwork and the elegance of the choreography.  There was a very attractive duet.

I then chose to watch the excerpt from Penumbra by Matthew Neenan - a sinuous 4 minutes.  This was the only piece that had one cast.

Suspended in Time to music by Electric Light Orchestra was credited to 3 choreographers - Angel Corella, Russell Ducker, and Kirill Radev.  It was enjoyable to watch and I got more out of it on the second viewing but it wasn't hugely memorable.  I remember more about Clear a week later.

The final piece was George Balanchine's Concerto Barocco, again to music by Bach.  I have only previously seen this danced by SWRB/BRB - it was one of the first things I can remember seeing them do.  I just love it.  I greatly enjoyed the performance of both casts but possibly cast B edged it in attack.  My favourite bit is the hoppy hoppy bit (sorry don't know the technical term).

Overall this was a well put together programme that I think I chose to watch in the right order for me.  I would happily watch Clear again and I could never get enough of Concerto Barocco.

Well done Pennsylvania Ballet - you've got me hooked!! 

• Like 5
20 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Having really enjoyed the free digital streamings from PAB last year, I treated myself to a ticket for the Spring 2021 digital season which comprises 3 programmes.

I watched the first programme last week.  Quite unusually 3 of the four pieces were streamed with 2 casts and I watched both of them with equal enjoyment.  I enjoyed the format of the stream in that each item could be watched individually so you could watch them in any order. 

First up I watched Clear by Stanton Welch to music by Bach.  I thought this was a delight, danced by 10 men and one lady.  I loved the fast, deft footwork and the elegance of the choreography.  There was a very attractive duet.

I then chose to watch the excerpt from Penumbra by Matthew Neenan - a sinuous 4 minutes.  This was the only piece that had one cast.

Suspended in Time to music by Electric Light Orchestra was credited to 3 choreographers - Angel Corella, Russell Ducker, and Kirill Radev.  It was enjoyable to watch and I got more out of it on the second viewing but it wasn't hugely memorable.  I remember more about Clear a week later.

The final piece was George Balanchine's Concerto Barocco, again to music by Bach.  I have only previously seen this danced by SWRB/BRB - it was one of the first things I can remember seeing them do.  I just love it.  I greatly enjoyed the performance of both casts but possibly cast B edged it in attack.  My favourite bit is the hoppy hoppy bit (sorry don't know the technical term).

Overall this was a well put together programme that I think I chose to watch in the right order for me.  I would happily watch Clear again and I could never get enough of Concerto Barocco.

Well done Pennsylvania Ballet - you've got me hooked!! 

I agree, Jan. It’s always a joy to see Balanchine’s Concerto Barocco. I loved the filming/editing, mostly traditional “straight-on” camera but peppered with unusual angles. If this were my first view of this ballet, I may have been a bit frustrated. This wasn’t the case, so the periodic funky angles were absolute delights!

I didn’t quite understand Clear’s (Welch) connection with 9-11, except that it premiered one month after the tragedy. I enjoyed the Bach score. Suspended was fun but no masterpiece.

Looking forward to viewing Wheeldon’s Polyphonia in the next program.

• Like 1