Pennsylvania Ballet - Digital Season - Spring 2021

Having really enjoyed the free digital streamings from PAB last year, I treated myself to a ticket for the Spring 2021 digital season which comprises 3 programmes.

I watched the first programme last week.  Quite unusually 3 of the four pieces were streamed with 2 casts and I watched both of them with equal enjoyment.  I enjoyed the format of the stream in that each item could be watched individually so you could watch them in any order. 

First up I watched Clear by Stanton Welch to music by Bach.  I thought this was a delight, danced by 10 men and one lady.  I loved the fast, deft footwork and the elegance of the choreography.  There was a very attractive duet.

I then chose to watch the excerpt from Penumbra by Matthew Neenan - a sinuous 4 minutes.  This was the only piece that had one cast.

Suspended in Time to music by Electric Light Orchestra was credited to 3 choreographers - Angel Corella, Russell Ducker, and Kirill Radev.  It was enjoyable to watch and I got more out of it on the second viewing but it wasn't hugely memorable.  I remember more about Clear a week later.

The final piece was George Balanchine's Concerto Barocco, again to music by Bach.  I have only previously seen this danced by SWRB/BRB - it was one of the first things I can remember seeing them do.  I just love it.  I greatly enjoyed the performance of both casts but possibly cast B edged it in attack.  My favourite bit is the hoppy hoppy bit (sorry don't know the technical term).

Overall this was a well put together programme that I think I chose to watch in the right order for me.  I would happily watch Clear again and I could never get enough of Concerto Barocco.

Well done Pennsylvania Ballet - you've got me hooked!! 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Having really enjoyed the free digital streamings from PAB last year, I treated myself to a ticket for the Spring 2021 digital season which comprises 3 programmes.

I watched the first programme last week.  Quite unusually 3 of the four pieces were streamed with 2 casts and I watched both of them with equal enjoyment.  I enjoyed the format of the stream in that each item could be watched individually so you could watch them in any order. 

First up I watched Clear by Stanton Welch to music by Bach.  I thought this was a delight, danced by 10 men and one lady.  I loved the fast, deft footwork and the elegance of the choreography.  There was a very attractive duet.

I then chose to watch the excerpt from Penumbra by Matthew Neenan - a sinuous 4 minutes.  This was the only piece that had one cast.

Suspended in Time to music by Electric Light Orchestra was credited to 3 choreographers - Angel Corella, Russell Ducker, and Kirill Radev.  It was enjoyable to watch and I got more out of it on the second viewing but it wasn't hugely memorable.  I remember more about Clear a week later.

The final piece was George Balanchine's Concerto Barocco, again to music by Bach.  I have only previously seen this danced by SWRB/BRB - it was one of the first things I can remember seeing them do.  I just love it.  I greatly enjoyed the performance of both casts but possibly cast B edged it in attack.  My favourite bit is the hoppy hoppy bit (sorry don't know the technical term).

Overall this was a well put together programme that I think I chose to watch in the right order for me.  I would happily watch Clear again and I could never get enough of Concerto Barocco.

Well done Pennsylvania Ballet - you've got me hooked!! 

I agree, Jan. It’s always a joy to see Balanchine’s Concerto Barocco. I loved the filming/editing, mostly traditional “straight-on” camera but peppered with unusual angles. If this were my first view of this ballet, I may have been a bit frustrated. This wasn’t the case, so the periodic funky angles were absolute delights!

I didn’t quite understand Clear’s (Welch) connection with 9-11, except that it premiered one month after the tragedy. I enjoyed the Bach score. Suspended was fun but no masterpiece.

Looking forward to viewing Wheeldon’s Polyphonia in the next program.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Pennsylvania's second digital programme has been available for the last couple of days.  Again you could watch the four pieces in any order.

I started with Christopher Wheeldon's Polyphonia.  I really didn't take to the music at all but I thought the choreography was terrific and that Wheeldon made the most of the music.

Next up was a solo excerpt from And so it is... by Dwight Rhoden which had a confusingly similar costume to those worn in Polyphonia.  I enjoyed this sinuous solo.

What a difference a year makes.  I watched another company's streaming of Balanchine's Allegro Brillante and was frankly bored (please don't tell Bruce Wall!).  Last night I was absolutely in raptures watching this performance.  I thought the dancers showed joy, attack and elegance and I absolutely loved it.  I thought some of the overhead camera angles really worked in this piece.

I finished off with Angel Corella's production of Raymonda Act 3 and it was just gorgeous.  The young lady who danced Raymonda was absolutely divine in the role and the whole cast sparkled.

I thought this was a well balanced programme and shows Pennsylvania Ballet to have a wide-ranging and varied repertoire.  They are a handsome company and I'm so glad I discovered their online performances during lockdown.

There's one more programme to go in the season.

• Like 1

Seems Bruce Wall read the above - and although he (as I happen to know him) was FAR from being  alone I seem to recall in his rapture over Tiler Peck's magnificent outing in NYCB's (you know that 'other' company) rendition of Allegro Brillante - (no one in my experience does it better ... and certainly not at that Patricia-McBride-like speed) - he ENTIRELY AGREES with Janet McNulty (and please DO tell her :)) that the PA Ballet rendering was refreshingly riveting.   I was a little anxious at a few of the close ups - especially on the female lead, Mayara Pineiro - so thirst-quenching in her freshness - as it occasionally obstructed the thrill of her footwork which was always most palatable.  The rapture of Balanchine was sewn throughout.  (How could it NOT be???)  Kudos to Colleen Neary and Ask la Cour for the perky staging and well done Angel Corrella for pulling this fine season together in what can't have been easy circumstances.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I've also enjoyed watching Ballet West, as well as PNB, Sarasota, SFB.  An early programme included Jooss's historic Green Table, a great contrast to their later showing of Jewels. Their programmes are even free.

1 hour ago, SheilaC said:

I've also enjoyed watching Ballet West, as well as PNB, Sarasota, SFB.  An early programme included Jooss's historic Green Table, a great contrast to their later showing of Jewels. Their programmes are even free.

Right, Sheila. BalletWest’s excellent streams were free (like NYCB, Miami, and others). PaB (spring portion), PNB (all), Sarasota (all) and SFB (all after initial Spring 2020 series) presented seasons for a fee.

I should’ve added to the short list of US troupes that presented multiple-ballet seasons for a fee:

Tulsa Ballet - they’ve been live-streaming shows since Oct 2020! A season-end Gala remains:  https://tulsaballet.org/the-celebration/

Carolina Ballet of Raleigh, NC (with NYCB guests like Amar Ramasar, Megan LeCrone, etc) - I’ve thoroughly enjoyed their winter/spring season of live shows, which ends with Robert Weiss’ Cinderella next week

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157757129086008&id=40694341007

warning: Carolina Ballet doesn’t have online ticketing...I had to telephone their box office & read a credit card #...

Edited by Jeannette

• 4 weeks later...

So the third  and final programme of the Pennsylvania Ballet's digital season has been available for the last few days.  I believe all the pieces were world premieres.  Again you could watch them in any order.

The first piece was Spillway, choreographed by Meredith Rainey (who had danced for most of his stage career with the company).  It featured quite a large cast with plenty of ensemble work and a couple of duets.  I found it energetic and watchable.

The second piece I watched was Encounters by Brazilian choreographer Juliano Nuñes.  I thought it was absolutely fabulous.  It was a mix of solos and duets, all lyrical and somehow full of yearning.  Even on a small screen this piece moved my soul and I would love to see it live.

The final piece I watched was Dance Card by Russell Ducker, a dancer with the company.  It was a piece for couples who were in formal dress as though at a ball.  There was some really attractive choreography but I'm afraid I didn't like the music.

To sum up, I have really enjoyed this digital season from Pennsylvania Ballet - it has shown a company with some terrific dancers and an interesting and varied rep - there's definitely been something for everyone in this season.  I'm very glad I bought my subscription and I'm only sorry it's over.

• Like 1