BRB gala (virtual - 27th March)

Did any of my fellow forumites partake of this tonight?  I found it somewhat amateurish, charming and utterly compelling!  There were technical glitches but real treasures too.  For me personally - Marianela Nunez coaching Momoko Hirata - two of my favourites in one delightful episode - was memorable and also a real learning experience.  The orchestra also had their moment.  A long and delightful moment.  I would go as far as superb.  I've always appreciated the BRB orchestra, and feel it superior to many others.  The insights and humour were much appreciated by me and others.  Then we had the chance to chat to members of the company, and there was a thrilling auction (of which I still await the outcome teetering on the edge of my chair).  All in all an inspirational evening.  As Dawn French said, Carlos Acosta has taken a few tips from her in his time... 'good toes, naughty toes'.... I'm glad he paid attention.

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to BRB gala (virtual - 27th March)
19 hours ago, Sim said:

I am fascinated to know how Tony Iommi fitted into this gala??!!  :)

So that's who he was.  They had lots of local 'slebs' filmed with supportive messages.  It wasn't at all a 'normal' gala - very little dancing - but enjoyable nonetheless, and I hope raised money for a good cause.

• Like 1

There were some 125 attendees, including staff, and Carlos said that over £12,000 had been made from the auction. So my sums tell me that at least £25,000 would have been raised overall.

The main dance content included The Swan, Majisimo, Marianela Nunez coaching Don Q, and a ‘competition’ which gave two groups of dancers the chance to shine. The section which ‘introduced’ the orchestra was excellent. The quiz was fine (probably because I knew most of the answers).

The ‘breakout room’ experience was a new one for me. We were told we would be in groups with dancers. Our group of some 20 people had one, Ryan Felix, who did well. However, this ‘episode’ needed a ‘ringmaster’ to bring more structure and focus on dance and BRB. The ‘sociable’ conversation did not really work among so many people.

But, hey, it was a good effort all round and I wanted to support BRB........

• Like 3