Jump to content

THE ROYAL BALLET 2021/22 SEASON ANNOUNCEMENT


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Darlex said:

Oh apologies for posting the YouTube link. I was getting carried away making a point! Thank you Mods for deleting the video and not the whole post. Glad to hear that you, BangorBalletBoy, find the old production transformation scene more satisfying than the most recent incarnation.

I do hope the stars regain their beautiful blue tutus. I would be happy if the RB danced Cinderella in David Walker's designs again. 


So glad I watched it before it was deleted, then. 🙂

Strange the RB would alter that particular staging, it was magnificent. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't wait to see Ferri in L'heure Exquise at the Linbury in October you can stream it for free tomorrow, 6 June, at 8.30, UK time, from the Ravenna Festival.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I watched this last night, live from Ravenna, a city I know well.  Thanks so much to the festival organisers and sponsors for streaming this (and many other events) for free.

 

I won't say too much about it now as it is coming to the Linbury in the autumn, but I must say I really enjoyed it.  It took me a while to adjust to what it is, but once the divine Miss Ferri started moving her still lithe body to the music, it was wonderful.  I speak Italian so could understand everything she said (she does quite a lot of talking at the beginning).  This is based on Samuel Beckett...not being a Beckett fan, nor very knowledgeable about his work, I missed most of the references to his works.  However, there are references to classical ballets as she dances, so that is lovely to see.  The premise is that an older ballerina is looking back at her performing life, and remembering what is involved in order to succeed (work, work, work)...but then all the happiness that it brought to her.  This performance was dedicated to Carla Fracci, on whom the piece was made by Maurice Bejart in 1998.  Suffice to say that it is very moving, and I can imagine it working well on the Linbury stage.  Miss Ferri is now 58...what a beautiful example of a woman getting older she is.  

 

I really look forward to seeing this live onstage.  

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

At the risk of sounding impatient, can I ask if anyone knows when casting for Autumn is likely to be announced?

 

I'm trying to make some plans and am wondering whether it's worth holding off.

 

I imagine it will be shortly before booking opens.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • alison locked this topic

If people are going to comment on the casting/pricing, please could you use the separate thread here?

 

 

I'm trying to move the rest of the relevant posts over, but am getting error messages, hence my locking this thread for the time being.  Thanks!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • alison unlocked this topic

Thank you all for your patience.  I don't know what the problem was, but every time I tried to move the posts over I got a "Sorry, we can't find that thread" error message.  However, if I tried to move them over one at a time it seemed to work, regardless.  I hope I haven't lost anything in the process.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

With the 2021/22 season now approaching (all too slowly in a way!) it is good to see from social media that RB dancers are back in the studio and being given classes and instruction by the likes of Stéphane Phavorin and Johan Kobborg (the latter in relation to the Athelhampton Ballet event, I believe).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

With the 2021/22 season now approaching (all too slowly in a way!) it is good to see from social media that RB dancers are back in the studio and being given classes and instruction by the likes of Stéphane Phavorin and Johan Kobborg (the latter in relation to the Athelhampton Ballet event, I believe).


AND, importantly, that some dancers who appeared to be ‘off’ injured at the end of last season are back moving freely. So happy for them.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, capybara said:

classes and instruction by the likes of Stéphane Phavorin

.....including Sambe, apparently in advance of him dancing in, or from, Le Corsaire with Osipova. Does anyone know  what performance this relates to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great to see Kobborg is back at the ROH. Perhaps sometime in the future we may see his production of La Sylphide again. Its been so long practically all the roles will be debuts; wonderful!

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Great to see Kobborg is back at the ROH. Perhaps sometime in the future we may see his production of La Sylphide again. Its been so long practically all the roles will be debuts; wonderful!

 

Great idea.  I loved it the last time I saw it.  It is a wonderful opportunity for students to play the young girl as well.  If my memory serves me correctly, last time it was Julia Roscoe, who is now in the company?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe this is a first step for Kobborg’s re-acceptance into the RB fold.  I would also love to see his Sylphide again.  A new generation of Jameses and Sylphides and I am already dreaming of casts…a bit premature but it’s fun to imagine! 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Fonty said:

 

Great idea.  I loved it the last time I saw it.  It is a wonderful opportunity for students to play the young girl as well.  If my memory serves me correctly, last time it was Julia Roscoe, who is now in the company?

Julia debuted in 2005. Last time in 2012 the role was danced by Annabel Pickering and Sarah Keaveney. I remember Julia being asked if she had any advice for the the girls. Just enjoy yourself was her answer.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Tony Newcombe said:

Julia debuted in 2005. Last time in 2012 the role was danced by Annabel Pickering and Sarah Keaveney. I remember Julia being asked if she had any advice for the the girls. Just enjoy yourself was her answer.


I didn't see it in 2012, so perhaps I should have said the last time I saw it......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Royal Ballet version of La Sylphide! 
Last time I saw it was the Queensland Ballet of Australia’s performance at the Colisseum six years ago. This was the Peter Schaufuss version and his son danced the role of James. 
I’ve just finished attending a series of workshops on La Sylphide which have been  very enjoyable and great fun!  
The versions used were based on ENB ( but from Festival Ballet days) and the Danish Ballet version.   We learned bits of the Sylph corps work, some of the wedding corps work and bits of Madge the witch’s interaction with James so including quite a bit of mime so this has renewed my interest in this ballet as have only seen it just that one time....as far as can remember but may have seen it once many years ago now as well when Festival performed it with Peter Schaufuss dancing ....but anyway really don’t know this ballet that well at all.... So yes be great to have a new Kobburg version for the Royal. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope we're not getting ahead of ourselves here.  Just because Kobborg's coaching in relation to Athelhampton, as Richard seems to believe, that doesn't necessarily suggest that a rapprochement with the RB itself is on the cards.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, alison said:

I hope we're not getting ahead of ourselves here.  Just because Kobborg's coaching in relation to Athelhampton, as Richard seems to believe, that doesn't necessarily suggest that a rapprochement with the RB itself is on the cards.

That's exactly why I said 'maybe'.  I don't think anyone is assuming that a rapprochement is on the cards...but in these depressing times it's very nice to imagine this lovely ballet back in the repertoire.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LinMM said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Royal Ballet version of La Sylphide! 
Last time I saw it was the Queensland Ballet of Australia’s performance at the Colisseum six years ago. This was the Peter Schaufuss version and his son danced the role of James. 
I’ve just finished attending a series of workshops on La Sylphide which have been  very enjoyable and great fun!  
The versions used were based on ENB ( but from Festival Ballet days) and the Danish Ballet version.   We learned bits of the Sylph corps work, some of the wedding corps work and bits of Madge the witch’s interaction with James so including quite a bit of mime so this has renewed my interest in this ballet as have only seen it just that one time....as far as can remember but may have seen it once many years ago now as well when Festival performed it with Peter Schaufuss dancing ....but anyway really don’t know this ballet that well at all.... So yes be great to have a new Kobburg version for the Royal. 

Hi Lin.  It wouldn't be a new version.  He made a version back in the mid-2000s, based on his Bournonville training and background.  With Alina Cojocaru as the Sylphide and Sorella Englund as Madge, it was unforgettable.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like La Sylphide a lot and was very pleased to see ENB performing it at the Coliseum a couple of years back. However... the RB putting on La Sylphide would inevitably mean something else losing out. I'd much rather they scheduled some of the RB "heritage" (I know, but this is the word they seem to favour!) works which have been neglected recently.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sim said:

Hi Lin.  It wouldn't be a new version.  He made a version back in the mid-2000s, based on his Bournonville training and background.  With Alina Cojocaru as the Sylphide and Sorella Englund as Madge, it was unforgettable.  

 

And Ivan Putrov as James.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 17:35, Sim said:

Yes, replacing an injured Kobborg. 

Sorry, but I’m still catching up.
 

James was danced by Ivan Putrov and Rupert Pennefather in the original run.  
 

Kobborg wasn’t injured but opted to dance ‘The Lesson’ (the other piece in the double bill)

with Alina Cojocaru and Deirdre Chapman. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RobR said:

Sorry, but I’m still catching up.
 

James was danced by Ivan Putrov and Rupert Pennefather in the original run.  
 

Kobborg wasn’t injured but opted to dance ‘The Lesson’ (the other piece in the double bill)

with Alina Cojocaru and Deirdre Chapman. 

Ah.  Someone had told me he was injured.  The Lesson was unforgettable, although I clearly forgot that he had danced it in this bill.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...