THE ROYAL BALLET 2021/22 SEASON ANNOUNCEMENT

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, bridiem said:

Brilliant! I wonder why they didn't put that in the press release?!

Because the Press Office is speaking to 1) a ‘new’ audience, 2) headline seekers , and 3) funders  rather than the RB’s established followers and multiple ticket buyers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, capybara said:

Because the Press Office is speaking to 1) a ‘new’ audience, 2) headline seekers , and 3) funders  rather than the RB’s established followers and multiple ticket buyers.

But it's the same wording that has been sent to Friends to inform them about the season. And the press release is very long (too long, in my opinion) so a few more words saying WHICH Ashton ballets would have made no difference and would have informed and probably pleased the core audience of the ROH/RB.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Richard LH said:

....but also that it will lead with The Dante Project...?!?

R&J probably in September, Dante in late October (they may well overlap at some point)

• Like 2

If Francesca Hayward has a major role in Dante, I could see a long, spaced-out, run of R&J in the autumn, with her performances perhaps at the end of it - or right at the beginning, depending on the scheduling of Dante.  I guess we'll find out in due course.

3 hours ago, bridiem said:

If social distancing is still in place in the autumn/winter, it won't matter how popular the works are - everything will be operating at a big loss. So I just hope that it will have been relaxed by then.

I was surprised - but very pleased for the company - that Kevin O'Hare somewhere said the abortive Nutcracker run had at least managed to break even.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

R&J probably in September, Dante in late October (they may well overlap at some point)

As long as they get the Dante in before the end of the year, 2021 being the 700th anniversary of his death.  My hubby is a Dante scholar so wants to come and see this ballet with me.  I just know already that it's going to be a miserable experience for me, no matter what the ballet is like!! 😁

We had planned to go to Ravenna a couple of times during this year as that is where Dante is buried and they were planning all kinds of celebratory/commemorative events.  Sadly, it looks like many of these will be cancelled, so our trips are looking unlikely for now.  Let's hope this ballet makes up for what we are losing elsewhere...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sim said:

As long as they get the Dante in before the end of the year, 2021 being the 700th anniversary of his death.  My hubby is a Dante scholar so wants to come and see this ballet with me.  I just know already that it's going to be a miserable experience for me, no matter what the ballet is like!! 😁

We had planned to go to Ravenna a couple of times during this year as that is where Dante is buried and they were planning all kinds of celebratory/commemorative events.  Sadly, it looks like many of these will be cancelled, so our trips are looking unlikely for now.  Let's hope this ballet makes up for what we are losing elsewhere...

That's such a shame, Sim. But the prospect of the ballet has already had one good outcome for me - I decided in the first lockdown that I would finally read The Divine Comedy (in English), in preparation for the ballet, and I did so. I can't say I exactly enjoyed Inferno - very grim, though also very interesting - and I'm not sure that Purgatorio was really much more fun, but I made it to Paradiso by which time I was pretty exhausted. Will that also be my reaction to the ballet?! Who knows.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Anna Rose O'Sullivan has just posted that she's looking forward to revisiting Romeo & Juliet with Marcelino Sambe next season 🙂

Oh joy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

You're not saying that in the same way I always say 'oh joy' are you?😄

No... I am saying it with sheer delight.  I will never forget their stunning debuts.  I was a wreck at the end.  Come to think of it, I was a wreck after  Act 1!   

• Like 3

Also Steven McRae posted a couple of days ago that he was hoping to do Romeo with Sarah Lamb, so presumably Kevin O'Hare has told all the dancers the R&J casting for next season. It seems early but I suppose if they are opening in September with R&J then the end of May isn't that much notice.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Also Steven McRae posted a couple of days ago that he was hoping to do Romeo with Sarah Lamb, so presumably Kevin O'Hare has told all the dancers the R&J casting for next season. It seems early but I suppose if they are opening in September with R&J then the end of May isn't that much notice.

Glad to see McRae back after 3(?) years. A new partner for Muntagirov then (assuming he will do Romeo)?

The Friend's  newsletter of 1 April said the Autumn season guide would be sent out on 1 June so perhaps we'll get an idea of the new season next week. 

• Like 2

Fumi and ?

This is going to be a challenge for KoH to have enough performance dates for all the principal ballerinas ... assuming all the new ones will do R&J. And also including the first soloists who’ve done it before ... Hamilton, Stix-Brunell?   

Plenty of interesting pairings to contemplate too.  I’m hoping for Mayara and Matthew 🤔 

I hope Naghdi and Ball revisit their R&J partnership and would also love to see a Naghdi/Muntagirov pairing.

Possibly Kaneko/Clarke? Although perhaps real-life couples pairings might become too much, with Hayward/Corrales and possibly Magri/Ball too? 

• Like 3

On 23/03/2021 at 15:06, Beryl H said:

I'm most pleased with The Dante Project, Giselle, and Water For Chocolate (never heard of it until today but what I've just read sounds promising and perfect for Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales!  

I read somewhere that it is Marcelino with Frankie.

I would really want Muntagirov and Lamb to be paired together again in R&J. IF that's not possible, I'd like to see O'Sullivan dance with him. They have the same sort of purity about them, both technically and artistically.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Legseleven said:

Possibly Kaneko/Clarke? Although perhaps real-life couples pairings might become too much, with Hayward/Corrales and possibly Magri/Ball too? 

If only real life couples are cast it leaves out a lot of other wonderful partnerships!

Also it doesn't always follow that real life partnerships spark on stage.  In the past I've seen real-life partnerships on stage together where there is absolutely no spark whatsoever and other partnerships where the dancers apparently dislike each other off stage setting the stage on fire together.

• Like 10

I couldn’t agree more, Jan! I do think that casting real-life couples shouldn’t be a given, even if they have previously danced together and been magical. I would be very sorry if Naghdi/Ball didn’t happen again, or Hayward/Campbell. 

I would like to see Naghdi/Muntagirov cast together more often; they are both so musical and magnetic, along with the technical wizardry. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SPD444 said:

I read somewhere that it is Marcelino with Frankie.

But for the new Wheeldon, not R&J.

It’s most unusual for dancers to make ‘casting announcements’ .

Unfortunately, I doubt that that information will be available any time soon. After all, we don’t have the details for the third triple yet.

On 26/05/2021 at 12:34, Dawnstar said:

I have been thinking McRae might make a more interesting Tybalt than Romeo. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Legseleven said:

I hope Naghdi and Ball revisit their R&J partnership and would also love to see a Naghdi/Muntagirov pairing.

I hope Clarke does get to do Romeo after he had to miss all of the last run with injury. I'd be quite happy if all the real-life couples got to do R&J together, though my bank account wouldn't be as I'd probably want to try to see all of them!

24 minutes ago, annamk said:

I have been thinking McRae might make a more interesting Tybalt than Romeo. 

Maybe he could do both, like Ball & Hirano did in the last run. Though perhaps that's not realistic given he'll be coming back from injury so presumably won't want to risk overdoing it. I hope Ball does both again as I thought his Tybalt was brilliant last time, even more so than his Romeo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

But for the new Wheeldon, not R&J.

It’s most unusual for dancers to make ‘casting announcements’ .

Unfortunately, I doubt that that information will be available any time soon. After all, we don’t have the details for the third triple yet.

I must admit that I was surprised at Steven McRae announcing that Sarah Lamb would be his partner for R&J, although presumably it had been agreed in advance.  As for a new partner for Muntagirov, I'd love to see him do Romeo with Stix Brunell.  They've danced together a few times and seem to have good chemistry.  Failing that I'd also love him to be partnered with Naghdi.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Love, love, love Ball’s Tybalt! And Hayward and Bracewell’s partnership. 

Of course, Hayward danced with Corrales in the last live run but (also beautifully) with Bracewell in the film.

I think Corrales would be another fine Tybalt.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, capybara said:

Of course, Hayward danced with Corrales in the last live run but (also beautifully) with Bracewell in the film.

I think Corrales would be another fine Tybalt.

I agree. 

• alison locked this topic
  • alison unlocked this topic