Guest oncnp

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
16 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Nothing apparently up yet except Friends Rehearsals dates in the calendar view.

The Royal Opera House has announced details for its 2021/22 Season, the first full Season since 2019.

Opening on Monday 13 September, the Season includes five world premieres from The Royal Ballet and The Royal Opera, classic revivals and an exciting roster of international and UK talent performing across the two stages of the Royal Opera House.

In its 90th anniversary year, The Royal Ballet presents a Season that respects the past and heralds the future. Three world premieres, including Wayne McGregor’s The Dante Project, Christopher Wheeldon’s Like Water for Chocolate and a new work by American choreographer Kyle Abraham, are performed alongside much-loved 19th-century classics and heritage ballets by Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan. The Linbury Theatre hosts a raft of partnerships and co-productions including with Ballet Black, Alessandra Ferri, Yorke Dance Project and a world premiere from Company Wayne McGregor. Creative opportunities for emerging talent will also feature with Draft Works and the Next Generation Festival. The Season culminates in July 2022 with The Royal Ballet making a welcome return to international touring with a three-week tour of Japan where the Company will perform Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon and Peter Wright’s Giselle.

The "explore" link at the bottom goes to "Technical Error"

Romeo and Juliet          5 October 2021 – 25 February 2022

The Dante Project         14 –30 October 2021

Giselle                          4 November –3 December 2021

The Nutcracker             23 November 2021 –8 January 2022

Swan Lake                   1 March –28 May 2022

New Kyle Abraham / Solo Echo / DGV: Danse à grande vitesse

24 March –7 April 2022

Scènes de ballet / A Month in the Country / Rhapsody

23 April –2 May 2022

Like Water for Chocolate

1 –17 June 2022

Booking Dates (+5 hours for BST)

General: 24 August 2021, 4.30am

Friends: 17 August 2021, 4.30am

Young Friends: 17 August 2021, 4.30am

Friends+: 12 August 2021, 4.30am

Supporting Friends: 10 August 2021, 4.30am

Premium 1 Friends: 5 August 2021, 4.30am

Premium 2 Friends: 3 August 2021, 4.30am

Edited by oncnp

52 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The Royal Opera House has announced details for its 2021/22 Season, the first full Season since 2019.

Opening on Monday 13 September, the Season includes five world premieres from The Royal Ballet and The Royal Opera, classic revivals and an exciting roster of international and UK talent performing across the two stages of the Royal Opera House.

In its 90th anniversary year, The Royal Ballet presents a Season that respects the past and heralds the future. Three world premieres, including Wayne McGregor’s The Dante Project, Christopher Wheeldon’s Like Water for Chocolate and a new work by American choreographer Kyle Abraham, are performed alongside much-loved 19th-century classics and heritage ballets by Frederick Ashton and Kenneth MacMillan. The Linbury Theatre hosts a raft of partnerships and co-productions including with Ballet Black, Alessandra Ferri, Yorke Dance Project and a world premiere from Company Wayne McGregor. Creative opportunities for emerging talent will also feature with Draft Works and the Next Generation Festival. The Season culminates in July 2022 with The Royal Ballet making a welcome return to international touring with a three-week tour of Japan where the Company will perform Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon and Peter Wright’s Giselle.

The "explore" link at the bottom goes to "Technical Error"

Romeo and Juliet          5 October 2021 – 25 February 2022

The Dante Project         14 –30 October 2021

Giselle                          4 November –3 December 2021

The Nutcracker             23 November 2021 –8 January 2022

Swan Lake                   1 March –28 May 2022

New Kyle Abraham / Solo Echo / DGV: Danse à grande vitesse

24 March –7 April 2022

23 April –2 May 2022

Like Water for Chocolate

1 –17 June 2022

Booking Dates (+5 hours for BST)

General: 24 August 2021, 4.30am

Friends: 17 August 2021, 4.30am

Young Friends: 17 August 2021, 4.30am

Friends+: 12 August 2021, 4.30am

Supporting Friends: 10 August 2021, 4.30am

Premium 1 Friends: 5 August 2021, 4.30am

Premium 2 Friends: 3 August 2021, 4.30am

Oh my God I hope they will stream A Month in the Country next year

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oncnp said:

The Season culminates in July 2022 with The Royal Ballet making a welcome return to international touring with a three-week tour of Japan where the Company will perform Kenneth MacMillan’s Manon and Peter Wright’s Giselle.

Anyone else jealous that Japan gets Manon & London doesn't? I know it's less than 2 years since it was done at the ROH, and I saw 5 casts then, but I'd really like to see it again!

Interesting the split dates for R&J: 10 performances in October & 18 January-February. I wonder how that will affect the casting, whether the same casts will do both runs or different casts for each run.

Guest oncnp
34 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Anyone else jealous that Japan gets Manon & London doesn't?

That's a load of extra expense. I thought it was a typo and they actually meant R&J. Either that or someone in Japan has very deep pockets. 

Not jealous at all. We are getting Giselle this autumn with, I would suggest, the very strong possibility that Manon will be programmed in the early part of the 2022-23 season. As far as the split run of Romeo and Juliet is concerned perhaps someone has finally realised that week after week devoted to an unbroken run of performances of Romeo and Juliet is not the best way to maintain high technical standards throughout the company as so few dancers actually get to perform classically based choreography during such a run. Developing an interesting back story may be great fun but it is no substitute for dancing exposed classically based choreography. The number of performances devoted to this one ballet seems more than a little excessive to me as it suggests that pretty much everyone in the top two tiers of the company will be giving us her Juliet and his Romeo.

While I am pleased to see an all Ashton mixed bill which includes Scenes de Ballet and does not include Marguerite and Armand, I  can't help thinking that Kevin could afford to be a little more adventurous in his selection. There are ballets spanning the best part of fifty years to choose from and while I don't expect to see works like Capriole Suite or Foyer de Danse on the main stage I should like the opportunity to see them in full at some point in the not too distant future. Also I can't help thinking that if we really were respecting the past rather than paying lip service to respecting it we would be offered the opportunity to see one of his two or three act ballets each season.

• Like 8

Only 8 programmes, down from 10 in 2019/20, and 11 in 2018/19. Same number of full evening works, less mixed bills. Understandable given the circumstances, but not helping the contraction in active rep. We are getting 8 less ballets this season (12) than in 2018/19 (20), a 40% reduction.

That said, I am excited to find out the casting and debuts, and to see how the new works turn out.

Edited by Saodan
  • Like 1

There seems to be a strange gap in the RB schedule with nothing between 2 May and 1 June.  Perhaps there's another mixed bill or something to be added in here ? Very puzzling.  The reduction in the number of programmes is depressing. 

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
3 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

There seems to be a strange gap in the RB schedule with nothing between 2 May and 1 June.  Perhaps there's another mixed bill or something to be added in here ? Very puzzling.  The reduction in the number of programmes is depressing. 

Or that's when they are getting Manon ready for Japan.....

10 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

Perhaps TWO mixed bills (I'm being overly optimistic, I know). Or Mr Cockup has come to town...

Is it my imagination, or is there more 'substantial' content in the Linbury this time around? Drafts plus visiting companies (inc McGegor's own)...

41 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

There seems to be a strange gap in the RB schedule with nothing between 2 May and 1 June.  

I'm not sure what you're looking at, Lynette, but, if you go to the calendar view, you'll find that there are 7 Swan Lakes between those dates (8 if you include the schools' matinée)

https://www.roh.org.uk/calendar?date=2022-05

Edited by Bluebird

Ah, that must be it. I was looking at the what's on list, and saw the Ashton triple was followed in the list by Water for Chocolate, but didn't twig that Swan Lake was over such an extended period. Seems to be the new norm, as with R&J. 

Just a thought but perhaps the performances are spread out over several months in case there has to be another lockdown at some point. Also maybe there will still be rehearsal and performance bubbles for dancers etc. going forwards which might mean not being able to dance two pieces simultaneously as was possible in the past. 

With these precautions in place each show has the maximum chance of going on, at least for some dates, and all will not be lost? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, oncnp said:

23 April –2 May 2022

That looks like a disappointingly short run to me.  Can anyone tell me how many performances of these masterpieces we are being given?

Guest oncnp
2 minutes ago, alison said:

That looks like a disappointingly short run to me.  Can anyone tell me how many performances of these masterpieces we are being given?

According to "What's On" page - 7

It is a classic example of conservative programming which is intended to generate income and deal with a number of problems caused by the unavoidable cancellation of two major world premieres and a number of key debuts during the 2020-21 season. Of course the company had to stage those new full length works and keep the promises about career development which it made to its dancers a couple of seasons ago. I can understand why this particular selection of full length works is being programmed. It was so obvious that it probably did not seem to require much thought to draw it up . But that is its weakness. After the best part of eighteen months during which audiences have been without live ballet performances isn't the season just a bit too heavy? Does the entire season have to be quite so unremittingly serious?

Perhaps it is a flaw in my character but I can't help thinking that many of us would have benefited from a little frivolity built into the programme at strategic points during the season as I think that we can all agree that it is unlikely that either of the new works,the Dante Project or Like Water for Chocolate, will provide much in the way of light entertainment.  However while I accept that this season is one in which the company may be required to do considerably more than merely break even I do question whether we really needed 31 performances of Nutcracker ? Surely at Christmas we could have been permitted something else relatively safe as an alternative option to the ubiquitous Nutcracker such as eight performances of Fille or Coppelia or an equally lighthearted and entertaining Ashton mixed bill of say Les Patineurs, A Wedding Bouquet and Facade? At present, to me at least, the programme seems far too unremittingly weighty and earnest.

• Like 7

On 23/03/2021 at 12:06, Beryl H said:

I'm most pleased with The Dante Project, Giselle, and Water For Chocolate (never heard of it until today but what I've just read sounds promising and perfect for Francesca Hayward and Cesar Corrales!  

I believe Hayward will be performing opposite Sambe on Water for Chocolate, though there could be a casting with them too I suppose.

50 minutes ago, FLOSS said:

Perhaps it is a flaw in my character but I can't help thinking that many of us would have benefited from a little frivolity built into the programme at strategic points during the season as I think that we can all agree that it is unlikely that either of the new works,the Dante Project or Like Water for Chocolate, will provide much in the way of light entertainment.  However while I accept that this season is one in which the company may be required to do considerably more than merely break even I do question whether we really needed 31 performances of Nutcracker ? Surely at Christmas we could have been permitted something else relatively safe as an alternative option to the ubiquitous Nutcracker such as eight performances of Fille or Coppelia or an equally lighthearted and entertaining Ashton mixed bill of say Les Patineurs, A Wedding Bouquet and Facade? At present, to me at least, the programme seems far too unremittingly weighty and earnest.

At least Nutcracker is light, enjoyable & has a happy ending. Unlike Traviata, which is getting almost as many performances at 27. After the last 15 months do people really want to see a piece where the heroine dies from a respiratory disease?! It was the last thing I saw at the ROH before the first lockdown & even then it was rather uncomfortable viewing.

• Like 7

We knew about most of the ballets in the season already of course, but I remain very happy with the choices and even more so with the newly revealed details. As it happens I have a feeling there will be quite a few Romeo and Juliet casts I'll be very keen to watch, so I'm glad about the spacing across the season. I'll admit I'm in a different position to many on this forum having never seen Giselle in the flesh or the Royal Ballet production of Swan Lake, so I perhaps anticipate them more keenly than others. 

Ever since I started reading this forum (only about three years ago to be fair) there have been calls to do something different at Christmas as a change from Nutcracker. As far as I'm concerned, that call has been answered admirably. I remember enjoying a wonderful triple bill (including Les Patineurs and Winter Dreams) I think in 2018 and then Nutcracker replaced completely by Coppelia in 2019 - possibly quite a brave move financially. Unfortunately last year there were only four performances of a reduced Nutcracker to distanced audiences. So I think we're actually overdue a full run of Nutcrackers again and the chance to see those promised debuts. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FLOSS said:

It is a classic example of conservative programming which is intended to generate income and deal with a number of problems caused by the unavoidable cancellation of two major world premieres and a number of key debuts during the 2020-21 season. Of course the company had to stage those new full length works and keep the promises about career development which it made to its dancers a couple of seasons ago. I can understand why this particular selection of full length works is being programmed. It was so obvious that it probably did not seem to require much thought to draw it up . But that is its weakness. After the best part of eighteen months during which audiences have been without live ballet performances isn't the season just a bit too heavy? Does the entire season have to be quite so unremittingly serious?

So agree Floss, especially re. the overly weighty programming, and scant  Ashton fare....7 performances in all. Not much opportunity for a wide variety of dancers to engage further in his work. In contrast, with 31 Nutcrackers even the cleaning staff will probably get a "crack" at a role.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, FLOSS said:

While I am pleased to see an all Ashton mixed bill which includes Scenes de Ballet and does not include Marguerite and Armand, I  can't help thinking that Kevin could afford to be a little more adventurous in his selection. There are ballets spanning the best part of fifty years to choose from and while I don't expect to see works like Capriole Suite or Foyer de Danse on the main stage I should like the opportunity to see them in full at some point in the not too distant future. Also I can't help thinking that if we really were respecting the past rather than paying lip service to respecting it we would be offered the opportunity to see one of his two or three act ballets each season.

1 hour ago, FLOSS said:

After the best part of eighteen months during which audiences have been without live ballet performances isn't the season just a bit too heavy? Does the entire season have to be quite so unremittingly serious?

Yes, I'm with you, Floss in wishing there was more Ashton. Why couldn't there be one of his full length ballets performed every year as well as Macmillan's, or if that takes up too much of the year then alternate between a full length Macmillan and Ashton? It would have been great to have something a bit light and cheerful and I still think La Fille would have been a great opening ballet. You know where you are with dancing chickens! Also, though respecting the fact that the Nutcracker is a huge money spinner, it would have been great to have a mixed bill to counteract all that sugar! I would suggest Patineurs, The Concert and Facade or Symphony in C if you think Facade is too similar to The Concert and want something cheerful and classical. (Just realised I've quoted Floss' suggestions almost verbatim. We obviously think along similar lines!)

Finally, I thought I'd read all programmes were being shown at the cinema. Is that right and do we know which dates? If you click on the cinema option it just shows a date for La Boheme and Dante.

Still, like everyone, I've been so starved of ballet I'll take anything on offer. There's bound to be great casting even if some of the rep. choices are not the most exciting.

• Like 7

Finally, I thought I'd read all programmes were being shown at the cinema. Is that right and do we know which dates? If you click on the cinema option it just shows a date for La Boheme and Dante.

I've realised how you find out about filming dates. You go to performances and click on 'See dates' or 'buy tickets' and it says what dates the filming takes place. Doesn't say if it's for streaming or cinema but I'll take either! All main stage productions seem to have a date to be being filmed for the first season. Swan Lake seems to be the first ballet with no recording date and this also applies for subsequent ballets. I hope this just means they haven't finalised even tentative casting this far ahead and eventually filming dates will appear, especially for the all-important Ashton programme.

Edited by jmhopton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

I'll admit I'm in a different position to many on this forum having never seen Giselle in the flesh or the Royal Ballet production of Swan Lake, so I perhaps anticipate them more keenly than others. 

For my money, Giselle is all but the perfect ballet. I hope you will enjoy it live, as much as I do 🙂

• Like 11

1 hour ago, DanJL said:

I'll admit I'm in a different position to many on this forum having never seen Giselle in the flesh or the Royal Ballet production of Swan Lake, so I perhaps anticipate them more keenly than others.

I've not seen either ballet live either. I was booked to see my first live Swan Lake on 28th March 2020 but we all know how that went!

53 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

I've not seen either ballet live either. I was booked to see my first live Swan Lake on 28th March 2020 but we all know how that went!

Good to know I'm not the only one! I had a similar experience with Swan Lake. Hopefully next year we will both get to see it 🙂

• Like 1