THE ROYAL BALLET: 2021/22 season wishlist?

Oh yes, that's a point: gulping through a face mask is very uncomfortable.  Okay, then I'll have to rule out Requiem, as that sent me into floods of tears the first time it came back in the new House.  Although come to think of it, it might well be appropriate.

If we're going for happy ballets, then I guess La Fille Mal Gardée.

• Like 1

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

My first thought was one of the big 3 MacMillans but then I realised that crying with a face mask on would be awkward so I'd need something that doesn't move me to tears. So I guess I'd go for Winter Dreams, to get some MacMillan pdd action & emotion without tears.

Good thinking, Dawnstar; but I seem to remember that last time I saw Winter Dreams my eyes were very far from dry... 😭

• Like 4

My first choice would definitely have been Fille but as its already been taken several times perhaps I could slightly cheat and go for an Ashton mixed bill (still only one programme!) that would include Vadim dancing Month in the Country, but also possibly some Ashton not already mentioned such as Patiners, Facade or Birthday Offering. The whole programme being filmed for cinema broadcast with hopefully a dvd or TV slot to follow. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jmhopton said:

... The whole programme being filmed for cinema broadcast with hopefully a dvd or TV slot to follow. 

Yes! In that case, let’s move Les Rendezvous - with the “gates” design - to the top of the list. :) I’m not sure how much longer my scratchy film from ca1978 (Tait/Ashmole) will last. Time to have it in hi-def, with a new 2021/22 cast. I’d buy it just to have that glorious pas de trois on my big screen...but, of course, there’s so much more!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Good thinking, Dawnstar; but I seem to remember that last time I saw Winter Dreams my eyes were very far from dry... 😭

I've only seen it once, the last time the RB did it, & I didn't cry then. Admittedly it might be one of those ones that gets increasingly moving the more you see it.

First time I go back I know I shall weep- all tips for how to cry safely in a mask welcome...

Any Ashton gets my vote and Symphony in C to round off would be like a dream come true..

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Sim said:

Fille with Sambe and O’Sullivan in the lead roles.  Sigh.  

Breaking my own rule here but, since others have mentioned Giselle, O’Sullivan in the title role, please (along with her gorgeous Vera in Month).

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, capybara said:

Breaking my own rule here but, since others have mentioned Giselle, O’Sullivan in the title role, please (along with her gorgeous Vera in Month).

She posted a video on Instagram a couple of days ago showing her messing around in the studio to some music from Giselle.  I told her that I really, really hope she gets to dance the eponymous role next season...keeping everything crossed!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, The Sitter In said:

What...no McGregor, no Wheeldon, no Marston, no Pita, no Cherkaoui on people's wish-lists?  Wonder why....Perhaps the RB management should take note.

I was close to putting either Winter's Tale or Woolf Works, but was partly influenced by the knowledge that we're expecting Dante project and a new Wheeldon 3 act ballet. Although I guess I shouldn't have let that influence my choice in this fantasy season!

1 hour ago, Sim said:

She posted a video on Instagram a couple of days ago showing her messing around in the studio to some music from Giselle.  I told her that I really, really hope she gets to dance the eponymous role next season...keeping everything crossed!

If Giselle is in the rep. the RB simply HAS to cast her.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, alison said:

I must admit, I'm pretty surprised at quite how weighted this thread seems to be in favour of Ashton :)

I don't think I'm surprised, really. I mean he is the master of beauty/purity/lyricism/romance/joy/harmony/optimism etc and is therefore a feast for the eyes, heart and soul at any time but would especially be so after all that has happened.

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, alison said:

Along with rather a lot of others ...

This is the problem*! Last time round all eight of our principal ladies were cast, and I don't see who you'd easily cut from them. Unless it's a very long run it will be difficult to fit others in.

*Nice problem to have.

• Like 2

On the back of the Fonteyn Gala, Naghdi as Ondine and O'Sullivan as Chloe...

Symphonic with revival of Nijinska - Les Biches AND Les Noces - to sandwich it.  That programme was done years and years ago and was SO good.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, alison said:

Oh yes, that's a point: gulping through a face mask is very uncomfortable.  Okay, then I'll have to rule out Requiem, as that sent me into floods of tears the first time it came back in the new House.  Although come to think of it, it might well be appropriate.

If we're going for happy ballets, then I guess La Fille Mal Gardée.

Fille gets my vote too but also I am really hoping that by the Autumn we won't have to wear face masks in the auditorium .......... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Sitter In said:

On the back of the Fonteyn Gala, Naghdi as Ondine and O'Sullivan as Chloe...

Symphonic with revival of Nijinska - Les Biches AND Les Noces - to sandwich it.  That programme was done years and years ago and was SO good.

Maybe you are thinking of Hayward as Ondine (which she danced so wonderfully at the said gala). Naghdi danced Le Corsaire.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

I don't think I'm surprised, really. I mean he is the master of beauty/purity/lyricism/romance/joy/harmony/optimism etc and is therefore a feast for the eyes, heart and soul at any time but would especially be so after all that has happened.

Hear, hear Bridem! A great way of expressing the effect Ashton choreography has on so many of us. I felt I had to say this as the computer would only allow me to 'like' your performance once instead of the (minimum) 5 'likes' I would have otherwise given your comment.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Really? Any idea when?

The ROH tweeted earlier about "exciting announcements from 10am" so presumably they're referring to announcing the next season tomorrow.

Edit: found the tweet

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 5

Well, I was listening to Radio 3 this evening, and they said Oliver Mears would be on tomorrow discussing the opera schedule for next season.  Nothing about Kevin O'Hare.

If it were possible to add a new piece to the repertoire, I’d love to see the RB harnessing a year of pent up energy to explode onstage with Forsythe’s ‘Playlist’ 

• Like 1

• alison changed the title to THE ROYAL BALLET: 2021/22 season wishlist?