British Ballet Company apprenticeships 🤔

Lifeafterballet

On 11/03/2021 at 23:50, Lusodancer said:

You realise folks if we all pooled our audition fund and our pre-professional fund money together , we could probably form our own  junior company! Hire a few guest choreographers for a short contract  to build a repertoire, studios,  line up a few theatre dates ,etc . Anybody game?  

Now there’s an idea......🤔

I expect now there could be the necessary talent available to work to assist in establishing such a company with knowledge/contacts to secure funding (what about from the covid relief funds too?) 

Set up as ‘not for profit’ but paying a living wage to all workers (unless there are any philanthropic dance sponsors & professionals who choose to volunteer some services for free of course!)  And to be run on truly ethical grounds in all ways....

Got to be legs in this idea? 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 2

On 12/03/2021 at 18:03, cotes du rhone ! said:

Having had two Dc graduate from a U.K. vocational school I, like yourself, can only share our experiences and those of my DC’s friends. The dance employment/graduation destination has been on a decline for the past few years, as in the numbers securing paid, that you can live on, contracts. Churning out all these young dancers into a world where they realistically haven’t got a cat in hells chance of employment is wrong 😔 and these schools and their associated companies need to find solutions and start supporting them. 

When we started this journey in 2012 we were incredibly naive as to the future and in hindsight should not have let our children invest so much of themselves physically, psychologically and emotionally into such a career. Or us, as a family, financially. 

I wish I had met me 9 years ago 😂. Just a Mum, who still really doesn’t have a clue about ballet but has been on a hell of a journey. 

I wish I’d met you 9 years ago and listened to you and convinced my ballet mad daughter to listen !!!  Please listen objectively to everyone’s past shared experiences in Ballet World. 

But - on a positive note my daughter is now starting to interview for interns and grad programs in her new world and that “ballet world “ experience is a stand out and gets her noticed every time.  She’s combined that persistence and team work with a very good grade point average so stands a very good chance to be a success in her new chosen path. These kids are so determined and focused. A new direction with the equal application of those same skills will stand them in a great position going forward. As long as we keep telling them - you got to the the very top through hard work and determination. Just do it again. And again.  Positive thoughts. !!! 

• Like 10