The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Is this just temporary though Anna whilst the pandemic is on? 

I’m sure it is, Lin, but it still means I basically can’t go unless I spend ages on the phone like I used to have to. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Guest oncnp
11 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Is this just temporary though Anna whilst the pandemic is on? 

We hope

@Anna CI would encourage you to call the box office .... they have a call back system.   I called yesterday as I’d made an error with my class booking and they called back to sort it.  Very polite and efficient.

As many know here, the website at ROH is notoriously non-user-friendly.  And they don’t seem to have agile webmasters or any connection with real end-users to make changes.

I’m guessing many of the web staff have been furloughed too.  So interim fixes for these ‘socially distanced’ issues are unlikely to be addressed. 🙄

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 1

I’m delighted this morning as am going after all with a close friend....after ages hoping for a single ticket....absolutely nothing doing there 😢 

I’m going just the once in the whole season but the one performance which was my absolutely favourite one on June 10th and front row of Amphi a very good price at £43 

At least I can hang on to the front rail as it is middle row ish but with Row A I think you can enter at that level so not too much walking down the steps to seat which I won’t relish. 

Anyway pleased am going at all and that two seats were still available today. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

@Anna CI would encourage you to call the box office .... they have a call back system.   I called yesterday as I’d made an error with my class booking and they called back to sort it.  Very polite and efficient.

As many know here, the website at ROH is notoriously non-user-friendly.  And they don’t seem to have agile webmasters or any connection with real end-users to make changes.

I’m guessing many of the web staff have been furloughed too.  So interim fixes for these ‘socially distanced’ issues are unlikely to be addressed. 🙄

Wot Fiona sed.  And when I called on Wednesday (when there was priority booking going on), the 'phone was answered immediately after the options.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Wot Fiona sed.  And when I called on Wednesday (when there was priority booking going on), the 'phone was answered immediately after the options.

Before I saw this I sent an email to the Access team and within a few minutes a very helpful (and sympathetic) gentleman phoned me back - SC row A tickets booked.  Happy Anna. 👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 8

20 hours ago, SPD444 said:

Yes, I did. I have checked what tickets I bought in the “Events” section of my membership file if they are their and they are so all seems well but to make sure I copied the error message to the box office and asked them to confirm. No reply so far.

Now Friday and I received the confirmation email today with a subsequent email giving apology. All is well.

Just checked out of interest and there are currently 2  good OS singles available for 20th May (G 25 and E 29)...and G25 is also available for 30th June. 

Hope these may be of interest to someone on the Forum...the good news is that it will be worth keeping checking for returns...

44 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Has anyone seen any info about the performance length, particularly for the first programme?

According to the box office the running time won’t be known until the stage calls later this week but probably around 2 hrs. Not sure if that includes intervals. 

• Like 1

Richard LH I still don’t think you can buy single tickets ....I still get that silly message about buying less tickets....even for one of the tickets you suggested on June 30th 

It could have already gone of course but there are no other single tickets available for that day anywhere in the House. 

Gosh I am surprised ... there seem to still be 100+ tickets available for most performances of the first programme, except the first night.  I thought ‘friends’ would have piled in and it would be fully sold soon after booking opened.  

Considering there are only ~800 or 1/3 of tickets available for sale under social distancing rules ... I am quite upset for the opera house, performers, crew and staff.

An indication of reluctance to be indoors in a crowd?

A lack of international ticket buyers?

Audience not booking until fully immune?

With a rate of ~20 per 100,000 in the UK at the moment, statistically there would likely be no one in the audience with COVID.  

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Gosh I am surprised ... there seem to still be 100+ tickets available for most performances of the first programme, except the first night.  I thought ‘friends’ would have piled in and it would be fully sold soon after booking opened.  

Considering there are only ~800 or 1/3 of tickets available for sale under social distancing rules ... I am quite upset for the opera house, performers, crew and staff.

With a rate of ~20 per 100,000 in the UK at the moment, statistically there would likely be no one in the audience with COVID.  

Or perhaps it is the program?

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Richard LH I still don’t think you can buy single tickets ....I still get that silly message about buying less tickets....even for one of the tickets you suggested on June 30th 

It could have already gone of course but there are no other single tickets available for that day anywhere in the House. 

They were definitely available  at the time I posted, but I thought they would go quickly, and indeed it seems that they have now been sold. Still it shows it is worth checking back from time to time. 

It may not be possible now, but it would have been helpful (and I may suggest this to the Box Office)  if  the main "cast and dates" page on the website could be more specific as to availability - i.e. rather than just saying e.g. 40 tickets, or  100+ tickets available, indicating   how many (if any) are singles. That would save a lot of time looking at each date only to get "We could not find 1 tickets together "

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, oncnp said:

Good point!  

I’m so starved I’ve booked to see everything at least once in person.   I know that even if I don’t like the individual ballets, I shall enjoy seeing the individual dancers.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, FionaE said:

'Golden Hour' has been on quite recently (3 years ago?) and was live streamed. The other ballets on the bill are new or unfamiliar to punters. It does appear as if the first programme isn't as attractive as the other two - other than to all the people who are disappointed not to be able to get single seats.

Personally, I am going for the dancers and with some curiosity about the works which will be new to me.

• Like 6

For some reason the first programme was the one I found most difficult to get seats for in the area of my choice. I did eventually, but had to go for my third choice of date. I'm happy with what I've ended up with and can't wait to see the dancers and the ballets, just seems odd if this is the programme that's sold least well.

20 hours ago, oncnp said:

Or not.  

It seems to be the same pattern for the other two programmes ... less than 50 seats available for first night and 100+ for all/most of the other performances.  

This is worrying.  

I would think much of the usual audience would be partially or fully vaccinated.  Why aren’t people buying tickets?

Guest oncnp
37 minutes ago, FionaE said:

It seems to be the same pattern for the other two programmes ... less than 50 seats available for first night and 100+ for all/most of the other performances.  

True but unlike the first program where seats  are available in all price ranges for every performance (except the odd sold out balcony on 28 May) , that is only the case for 8 June for Balanchine and Robbins. 9 & 10 Jun are balcony/amphi, 11 Jun is amphi only.  The other four performance are down to less than 50. So the "good seats" are selling for this program.

And I wouldn't judge "Beauty" until the casting is announced.

Not suggesting the program is the entire reason the first performances are not selling well at this point but do think it's a factor, as well as lack of singles as @bridiem pointed out. 

Edited by oncnp

24 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Or not.  

This is worrying.  

I would think much of the usual audience would be partially or fully vaccinated.  Why aren’t people buying tickets?

Well I've just tried several of the Balanchine bill performances as a test and even where it says there are more than 100 tickets available, there are still no singles. Maybe that's part of the problem? A lot of people are not in a position to book more than one ticket at the moment. And for 4th June, for example, it says there are a few tickets left but when you actually go to book, it says there are none. So perhaps the info as to the remaining number of tickets isn't fully up to date at any given time.

I also wonder if perhaps going to the ROH immediately the restrictions are lifted feels too much for some people? I know that for me, the thought of simply going to a café next week fills me with a kind of awed wonder... but it will also feel a bit unnerving. I've been out occasionally to local shops since shielding ended, but my social/cultural engagement in person has been effectively nil for 7 months. To go to a huge opera house (even if socially distanced) may be a step too far for some people at this stage - they may need a bit longer to adjust. Just speculating.

Edited by bridiem

9 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Well I've just tried several of the Balanchine bill performances as a test and even where it says there are more than 100 tickets available, there are still no singles. Maybe that's part of the problem? A lot of people are not in a position to book more than one ticket at the moment. And for 4th June, for example, it says there are a few tickets left but when you actually go to book, it says there are none. So perhaps the info as to the remaining number of tickets isn't fully up to date at any given time.

bizarre.

I’ll put it down to ROH system glitches not coping with the (hopefully) temporary socially distanced booking system.

Guest oncnp
18 minutes ago, bridiem said:

And for 4th June, for example, it says there are a few tickets left but when you actually go to book, it says there are none. So perhaps the info as to the remaining number of tickets isn't fully up to date at any given time.

Those few tickets may be in someone's cart or recently purchased.  I've never found availability to be updated in real time.

I agree with Fiona; I've a feeling the system just can't cope with the processes and may (for whatever reason) be including seats that cannot be booked in the availability figures.  Whilst it's incredibly frustrating (e.g. all of the RBS Linbury performances are showing availability when they are sold out), I can understand an unwillingness to throw money at what is (we all hope) a temporary problem.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

I agree with Fiona; I've a feeling the system just can't cope with the processes and may (for whatever reason) be including seats that cannot be booked in the availability figures.  Whilst it's incredibly frustrating (e.g. all of the RBS Linbury performances are showing availability when they are sold out), I can understand an unwillingness to throw money at what is (we all hope) a temporary problem.

Whilst this is true, they must have spent SOME money on the changes we see now - just not spent it very wisely, it would seem

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

Added to website 

Insights: The Royal Ballet in Rehearsal

15 June 2021, 7.30pm

The rehearsal lasts about 1 hour 15 minutes. There is no interval.

£20

Not on sale yet. Date below (add 5 hours for BST)

General: 25 May 2021, 4.30am
Young ROH: 24 May 2021, 11am
Friends: 24 May 2021, 9am
Young Friends: 24 May 2021, 9am
Friends+: 24 May 2021, 7am
Supporting Friends: 20 May 2021, 11am
Premium 1 Friends: 20 May 2021, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 20 May 2021, 7am
Edited by oncnp

Just received this -

It was lovely to speak to so many of you last week and to hear how excited so many of you are to return to Covent Garden.

We know that some of you were disappointed when you were unable to find a single ticket for your chosen performance(s). Although we had increased the number of single seats on sale (from November’s socially distanced seating plan), the demand far outstripped supply. We would like to reassure you that we have taken this feedback on board and have looked at how we can better manage the single ticket approach and how we can increase this allocation.

We are therefore pleased to let you know that for the Spring/Summer 2021 programme we will be introducing Friday Singles. Every Friday at 1pm a strictly limited number of single seats will be released for each performance the following week. This new approach will start tomorrow, Friday 14 May, for performances during the week of Monday 17 May – Sunday 23 May inclusive and then every Friday at 1pm for the following Monday-Sunday until the end of the Spring/Summer programme. These tickets can only be booked by telephone through the Box Office on +44(0)20 7304 4000. They will not be available online or through the ROH Friends’ team.

If you would like to take advantage of Friday singles then please telephone the Box Office at 1pm, the Friday before the performance(s) you wish to see, on +44(0)20 7304 4000.

Tickets are strictly limited. We expect this offer to be very popular and to sell out very quickly. 

Our re-opening is in line with the latest UK Government guidance and we will continue to review and follow Government advice. You can now attend a performance in groups of up to six people or two households. You must practise physical distancing from other groups at all times.

Seven of our main stage performances will also be available on ROHStream across the programme.

We would like to thank all Friends and supporters for their patience in recent months, and we look forward to welcoming you all for the 2021/22 Season, our first full season in 18 months. We also look forward to returning to full capacity houses from September once COVID guidance allows.  

• Like 4

As we have a separate thread for Friday Singles, I've moved posts discussing that to it, here:

If you've got any comments relating to Friday Singles, please use that thread.  Thanks!

On 11/05/2021 at 21:35, Rob S said:

Has anyone seen any info about the performance length, particularly for the first programme?

The website now states the performance will last 2hrs 25 with one interval

• Like 3