The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Rob S said:

As I mentioned last year,  my local decent theatre, the Theatre Royal Bath, managed to use the sytem you described. ROH has had plenty of time to work out a way of doing the same....it's not like they fixed the lifts instead

I've thought about this and maybe the ROH system - which is peculiar to them - just didn't readily allow this. Some of us are all too aware that the software that Sadler's Wells uses, for example, already had something similar set up.

They could possibly have developed something specifically, but I imagine spending has been very tightly controlled and development can easily attract a large bill.

33 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Do you happen to know, but I read somewhere that the lower school performances will be performed at White Lodge not in the Linbury.

That's right.  It's only upper school in the Linbury and each performance is just one year group.

23 June 1st year

24 June (m) 2nd year

24 June (e) 3rd year

25 June 2nd year

26 June (m) 1st year

26 June (e) 3rd year

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I've thought about this and maybe the ROH system - which is peculiar to them - just didn't readily allow this. Some of us are all too aware that the software that Sadler's Wells uses, for example, already had something similar set up.

They could possibly have developed something specifically, but I imagine spending has been very tightly controlled and development can easily attract a large bill.

Someone at the ROH had to work out which seats should be left empty....worst case scenario, a small team of booking office people then have to book those seats for every performance before they go on sale to real people. So long as they don't use Fujitsu systems to directly connect 'booked' empty seats and income figures the booking office team won't get charged with theft and the public can see which seats are available to book, everyone's a winner

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

It never has done.  It "thinks" that a central seat farther back is better than a closer one on the side.  You may (well) not agree with it.

I never go for a central seat (unless I'm on the front row of any area; very seldom) as I find if I get someone tall in front it completely blocks my view. I always prefer a seat more to the side.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Someone at the ROH had to work out which seats should be left empty....worst case scenario, a small team of booking office people then have to book those seats for every performance before they go on sale to real people. So long as they don't use Fujitsu systems to directly connect 'booked' empty seats and income figures the booking office team won't get charged with theft and the public can see which seats are available to book, everyone's a winner

but how does the system ensure doubles aren't booked by two unbubbled singles?

With the seating layout in the ROH, I can imagine that it might be a nightmare trying to work out which seats to take out compared with, say, Sadler's Wells, where everything is in nice straight rows, all equally spaced.

1 minute ago, alison said:

With the seating layout in the ROH, I can imagine that it might be a nightmare trying to work out which seats to take out compared with, say, Sadler's Wells, where everything is in nice straight rows, all equally spaced.

But someone had to work it out for the performances that have been on offer since this time last year.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

but how does the system ensure doubles aren't booked by two unbubbled singles?

It has to be an option on their system, numerous venues have prevented me from choosing a seat that would leave one empty seat next to me, forcing me to choose another bit of the theatre, we know from last year that this one is able to work out when a booker's maximum number of tickets per programme had been reached or in normal times when a ticket for different ballets had to be bought in order to buy Total Ballet packages for example.

Edited by Rob S

31 minutes ago, Rob S said:

It has to be an option on their system, numerous venues have prevented me from choosing a seat that would leave one empty seat next to me, forcing me to choose another bit of the theatre, we know from last year that this one is able to work out when a booker's maximum number of tickets per programme had been reached or in normal times when a ticket for different ballets had to be bought in order to buy Total Ballet packages for example.

But these are different systems and different calculations. (And at the ROH subscription process mentioned looked to me like something developed specifically for that task.) And we know that the ROH have been working for years on a replacement for the current set-up - possibly because of the limitations, not necessarily visible to us, of the current one.

If a seat map-based system had been a simple option I don't see why ROH wouldn't have implemented one, rather than having us all complaining at them and phoning their already stretched box office staff. That to me is the most compelling evidence that it wasn't.

Didn't we find that singles started appearing later last time, once there was a clearer idea of which seats were selling, or am I imagining it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I don't know why they didn't just sell single seats - its not like you should be talking to each other all the way through the performance.

It would suit me and many on the Forum but wouldn't it result in even less audience members as everyone would have to be socially distanced from everyone else.

• Like 4

Am waiting nervously to hear how ROH Friends get on with booking today!!

Can anyone looking at Thursday June 10th tell me how it’s looking for that day 🤔 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Am waiting nervously to hear how ROH Friends get on with booking today!!

Can anyone looking at Thursday June 10th tell me how it’s looking for that day 🤔 

I couldn't get a single ticket for any of the dates I tried for the Balanchine/Robbins bill (inc 10th June), at any price. I'll try again when general booking opens tomorrow, but maybe they haven't held back any singles. Grrr... 😒

Edited by bridiem
Added programme for which I tried to book
  • Like 2

All I was offered was a standing, 2nd row, Upper Slips, for 1 performance, with very poor visibility. Not worth a 380 round trip for. (I only checked the Robbins/Balanchine bill but presumably it's true for all).

It's very poor that there are so few single tickets available.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I couldn't get a single ticket for any of the dates I tried (inc 10th June), at any price. I'll try again when general booking opens tomorrow, but maybe they haven't held back any singles. Grrr... 😒

Singles were pretty scarce even when booking opened on Tues, and none anywhere near the stage for the couple Robbins/Balanchine programs I was looking at.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Not the ROH but don't talk to me about discrimination towards single ticket bookers...

I guess that a number of us are becoming familiar with this nonsensical message?

We could not find 1 tickets together. Try requesting fewer tickets, or select a different area.

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, capybara said:

I guess that a number of us are becoming familiar with this nonsensical message?

We could not find 1 tickets together. Try requesting fewer tickets, or select a different area.

Suddenly memories of the nightmare of the Nutcracker general release has returned...struggling to find any single seat for any performance within the first 30-40 mins of opening but then having no problem at all finding availability for my original choices several hours later when  sitting in a puddle of tears (I assume) and all my pulled out hair. 
Also booking the open up performances (which ultimately got cancelled) was a breeze two hours after they were all released (because I had got the general release date wrong and the ROH email announcing it was now open was of use for the first time ever.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Speaks for itself, huh.  Would put a :) but the reality almost hurts too much ... especially after all this time ...  As someone once said to me:  'You have to be philosophical about such things' .... Believe me, I'm trying.  Sincerely I am ... 

• Like 4

I couldn’t get single seats anywhere ... time to reactivate the ‘seats for sale’ area of this forum .... I will be fully vaccinated and would be happy to double up with anyone else who also is.

that’s what fans at the Bolshoi have had to do when the theatre was 50% only ... they had ZERO single seats available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

🤣🤣🤣 it’s all we can do!  

Fingers crossed 🤞 it won’t be necessary very soon.  

On the other hand, the box office have been very helpful to me personally today, when I double booked myself (blame pandemic ... my brain is fried).  They’ve taken the seats back and refunded me with no quibbles.  

• Like 1

Please do bear in mind that these vaccines are new, we have no idea how long they will remain effective (and indeed what their effectiveness is), and that they still don't necessarily prevent you from catching Covid-19 yourself and/or transmitting it to other people if you pick it up.  The last might prove important in particular if someone comes from an area where there is a more-virulent variant in circulation, because they could potentially contribute to spreading it.  We still need to be cautious.

• Like 2

Looking at the ROH website, I see that the web pages for each of the 3 mainstage operas & ballet programmes now have this message:

Due to socially-distanced seating we are only able to offer a limited number of single seats, which have now sold out. All productions will be streamed on ROH Stream, and we look forward to being able to offer more seating options in the 2021/22 Season. We apologise for any inconvenience.

So presumably that means there aren't any single seats being held back for public booking. I'm not sure whether the message was there before Friends' booking or has been added since because I didn't try to book this morning. As I'm not due to have my 2nd vaccine until the start of July I decided it was better not to try to book any tickets. Though it sounds like I, as a solo attendee, almost certainly wouldn't have been able to get any tickets even if I had tried.

Regards the vaccine status as long as you are not breaking any Gov rules then it’s a matter of personal risk assessment between any two people concerned. 
I believe from May 17th up to six people from different households can meet indoors. 
Nobody has to meet anybody at all of course but each individual ....within the rules ...will decide what to do with that. 

I won’t be going on holiday abroad this year as that’s a risk too far for me just at this point but many will go even in my age group. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Looking at the ROH website, I see that the web pages for each of the 3 mainstage operas & ballet programmes now have this message:

Due to socially-distanced seating we are only able to offer a limited number of single seats, which have now sold out. All productions will be streamed on ROH Stream, and we look forward to being able to offer more seating options in the 2021/22 Season. We apologise for any inconvenience.

I need a cunning plan🤔

5946FD50-46CE-412A-9E0F-DC469132A68F.png

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 5