Jump to content

The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Looking at the opera side, I see that Fumi Kaneko has been cast in La Clemenza di Tito.

 

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/la-clemenza-di-tito-by-richard-jones-dates

 

Together with Leo Dixon's and Elizabeth McGorian's appearances in Death in Venice, I hope this makes a trend!

 

they must have been taking singing lessons in lockdown, as the ROH website never makes mistakes (ahem)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't get too excited about seeing Cuthbertson as Aurora or anyone else among the principal dancers in the final mixed bill. We are only getting act 3 of Sleeping  Beauty not the entire ballet. With any luck management will use these performances as an opportunity to try out some of the younger dancers in roles they must covet.

 

As far as the divertisements are concerned I sincerely hope that we are spared Voices of Spring as everyone who dances it now is far too earnest about it and completely fails to recognise it as a tongue in cheek homage to soviet style exhibitions of dance like Spring Waters. I should like to think that we will be given the opportunity to see some of Ashton's less frequently performed gala pieces such as the Thais pas de deux;  Raymonda pas de deux; Varii Caprici and The Walk to the Paradise Garden.  I would be quite happy to see the Awakening pas de deux from Sleeping Beauty once again and his Pas de Quatre from Swan Lake. 

 

As far as Clemenza is concerned the fact that Kaneko has been cast suggests that the new production will include Berenice's departure from Rome something which is not  essential to a successful staging of the opera but was included in the 1974 production.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

 

they must have been taking singing lessons in lockdown, as the ROH website never makes mistakes (ahem)

 

 

It’s a mime role, not included in the libretto but sometimes introduced to help clarify the story. Deanne Bergsma took the role in the 1974 production at the ROH.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Floss is right about Voices of Spring. When it was first choreographed as a divertissement, in the opera Die Fledermaus, people in the dance world accepted it was a pastiche of Spring Waters, in the spirit of Facade and its sending up of various dances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I wouldn't get too excited about seeing Cuthbertson as Aurora or anyone else among the principal dancers in the final mixed bill. We are only getting act 3 of Sleeping  Beauty not the entire ballet. With any luck management will use these performances as an opportunity to try out some of the younger dancers in roles they must covet.

 

As far as the divertisements are concerned I sincerely hope that we are spared Voices of Spring as everyone who dances it now is far too earnest about it and completely fails to recognise it as a tongue in cheek homage to soviet style exhibitions of dance like Spring Waters. I should like to think that we will be given the opportunity to see some of Ashton's less frequently performed gala pieces such as the Thais pas de deux;  Raymonda pas de deux; Varii Caprici and The Walk to the Paradise Garden.  I would be quite happy to see the Awakening pas de deux from Sleeping Beauty once again and his Pas de Quatre from Swan Lake. 

 

As far as Clemenza is concerned the fact that Kaneko has been cast suggests that the new production will include Berenice's departure from Rome something which is not  essential to a successful staging of the opera but was included in the 1974 production.

I know of at least one Principal who will be dancing Aurora.  If there’s one, there may well be more...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose, too, that doing one act of Sleeping Beauty is probably a good way of easing the dancers back into classical ballet, because it won't require the sort of levels of performance stamina that doing the whole 3-4 acts would?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, alison said:

I suppose, too, that doing one act of Sleeping Beauty is probably a good way of easing the dancers back into classical ballet, because it won't require the sort of levels of performance stamina that doing the whole 3-4 acts would?


The key criteria underpinning the spring/summer programme appear to be to provide opportunities for as many dancers as possible and staging logistics. But performance fitness must also come into play.

Not easy in planning terms but the second and third programmes are especially attractive.

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the ArtsDesk story in today's links

 

"Yet as soon as restrictions allow, a series of classes will be held on the Opera House main stage, open to the public."

 

I hope they stream or record them. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

 

It’s a mime role, not included in the libretto but sometimes introduced to help clarify the story. Deanne Bergsma took the role in the 1974 production at the ROH.

 

...as she did at the premiere, in 1973, and for years afterwards.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Jane S said:

 

...as she did at the premiere, in 1973, and for years afterwards.

No, the ROH production La Clemenza di Tito in which Bergsma was Berenice was first performed in 1974...

 

Are you thinking of Death in Venice? That was premiered in 1973.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember Bergsma mostly as a lovely Lilac Fairy in Sleeping Beauty and in Enigma  Variations and in a more modern ballet could have been Tetley can’t think of name. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, LinMM said:

I remember Bergsma mostly as a lovely Lilac Fairy in Sleeping Beauty and in Enigma  Variations and in a more modern ballet could have been Tetley can’t think of name. 

Field Figures? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes that’s the one ....Thankyou.
It does seem like a lifetime ago now though. 
I think it was around the time of Four Schuman Pieces which I’d like to see more often 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually I found the schedule few days ago from this forum before I join this forum. Just wanna say thanks for the information :) unfortunately I can't attend as I live so far away from the UK, but will try to find a way to watch the livestream. Really wanna see Nunez and Muntagirov do that Tchai PDD after I saw them rehearsed it last year

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Actually I found the schedule few days ago from this forum before I join this forum. Just wanna say thanks for the information :) unfortunately I can't attend as I live so far away from the UK, but will try to find a way to watch the livestream. Really wanna see Nunez and Muntagirov do that Tchai PDD after I saw them rehearsed it last year

 

Hello Raven and welcome to the forum!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/04/2021 at 14:10, oncnp said:

 

General: 7 May 2021, 5am
Young ROH: 6 May 2021, 9am
Friends: 6 May 2021, 5am
Young Friends: 6 May 2021, 5am
Friends+: 5 May 2021, 9am
Supporting Friends: 5 May 2021, 5am
Premium 1 Friends: 4 May 2021, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 4 May 2021, 5am

 

It appears booking times have been moved up by 30 minutes (add 5 hours for GMT)

 

General: 7 May 2021, 4.30am
Young ROH: 6 May 2021, 8.30am
Friends: 6 May 2021, 4.30am
Young Friends: 6 May 2021, 4.30am
Friends+: 5 May 2021, 8.30am
Supporting Friends: 5 May 2021, 4.30am
Premium 1 Friends: 4 May 2021, 8.30am
Premium 2 Friends: 4 May 2021, 4.30am
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After apparently overlooking  the Fonteyn centenary in 2019 and remedying the oversight by adding a gala in her honour somewhat late in the day perhaps  Kevin has become a little more aware of the company's significant anniversaries. Perhaps he has appointed one of the more historically aware members of staff on the admin side to remind him about them as they arise or perhaps he got someone to draw up a list of them to avoid further embarrassment. Well whether the choice of repertory is the result of the desire to mark significant anniversaries or merely a matter of chance  Kevin has managed with the two of the ballets he has announced to suggest that he is acknowledging the company's ninetieth  anniversary and the centenary of the first London staging of the  Sleeping Beauty the ballet which has played a significant part in the history and long term development of the company and its international standing. Perhaps staging what to all intents and purposes is Aurora's Wedding is more appropriate than performing the whole ballet since it is a reminder of the important part that Diaghilev played in creating a real interest in ballet in this country which made audiences far more receptive to the early efforts of Rambert and de Valois and willing and eager to support them.

 

I wonder what state the company's twentieth century repertory will be in when it comes to celebrating the centenary and how much of it will be left given the limited range of works from it which we are permitted to see with anything approaching regularity. I don't think that denying the Ashton two and three act ballets a regular place in the seasonal turnover of repertory helps maintain his performance style when the company is dancing so many works which seem to rely on asymmetry and displays of extreme energy for their effect. While the label "Heritage Works" suggests that the ballets in question are old fashioned and irrelevant and only merit revival on special occasions such as significant anniversaries. Then if they fail to make much of an impression their past neglect will be justified as will their further long term neglect . The problem with the beneficial neglect approach is that works which lie unperformed for any length of time wither and die and the works to which this policy is being applied include a significant number of major works by the great choreographers of the last century. They are works which should be part of the company's active repertory even if that means they only see the light of day every five or six years because dancers need the opportunity to dance in them more than once in their careers and audiences have the right to see them.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/04/2021 at 22:17, oncnp said:

 

It appears booking times have been moved up by 30 minutes (add 5 hours for GMT)

 

General: 7 May 2021, 4.30am
Young ROH: 6 May 2021, 8.30am
Friends: 6 May 2021, 4.30am
Young Friends: 6 May 2021, 4.30am
Friends+: 5 May 2021, 8.30am
Supporting Friends: 5 May 2021, 4.30am
Premium 1 Friends: 4 May 2021, 8.30am
Premium 2 Friends: 4 May 2021, 4.30am

@oncnp thank you very much for the alert on bookings timings.  I am resigned to the fact that very little will be available once my level is reached, unless there are sufficient held back to satisfy the enormous penthouse demand 🙏
 

However we do have the streams, which is an enormous upside for me.  Thank you also for the alert that these links are loaded and ready for booking 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, jmhopton said:

This is interesting but I thought I'd read somewhere that Romeo and Juliet were opening the season in September and yet here they're scheduled for February. Does anyone else remember this or have I got it mixed-up?

 

I read it was R&J starting the season too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...