The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

1 minute ago, FionaE said:

why do you think professional athletes, tennis players, cyclists, Footballers, etc  share the information but dancers shouldn’t? 

Probably because they've chosen to? Or maybe it's in their contracts when there's a lot of money at stake.

You could argue that the RB should be writing this into their dancers' contracts, but I don't see much benefit to the RB in doing so, and it would have the disadvantage that some dancers would not be happy about it.

• Like 2

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, I've been surprised to see the number of higher-ranking dancers who appear to have been "missing" from this latest bill.  I don't know whether they've been in a burst bubble, are one of the "3 i's", weren't originally cast anyway, or what.

15 minutes ago, FionaE said:

why do you think professional athletes, tennis players, cyclists, Footballers, etc  share the information but dancers shouldn’t? 

no-one is saying dancers shouldn’t give information, merely that they have the right (not the obligation) to keep their personal circumstances private.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

You could argue that the RB should be writing this into their dancers' contracts, but I don't see much benefit to the RB in doing so, and it would have the disadvantage that some dancers would not be happy about it.

I also think Equity would have something to say about that!

@alison I agree that “economical with the truth” is better than total silence.  I suggested this myself further up the thread about early months of pregnancy for instance.

In my opinion, because these artists are in a public profession they do have a relationship to maintain with their public.  

In that interest, they would be better advised to share their indispositions and yes of course, agree with management how they wish to word it. 

33 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

What you want to know doesn’t trump legal obligations.  If you don’t understand that, I really pity you.

thank you for that personal unpleasant use of words

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FionaE said:

In my opinion, because these artists are in a public profession they do have a relationship to maintain with their public. 

It is nice to know what's really happening, yes - but I don't see that their 'public profession' should mean they have to reveal their private circumstances to us gawping fans. I share your frustrations when absences don't seem properly explained (to our satisfaction), but I don't think we have some sort of god given right to know these things. Just my 2p worth

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, FionaE said:

@alison I agree that “economical with the truth” is better than total silence.  I suggested this myself further up the thread about early months of pregnancy for instance.

That was NOT what I was suggesting.  I was thinking, among other things, of players who, for example, deny that there's anything wrong at the time, but months later actually admit that they had had some sort of injury.  It's very different from e.g. football, where it's listed which players are out, and what the injury is.

• Like 1

If Kane was injured and couldn’t play in the Euro 2020 semi-final, the public would be told.   They’d even be in depth analysis programmes on what the injury was and how long he might be out.  

Different money and public interest levels obviously.  But the principle is the same in my eyes.  

This opaqueness about ballet is not helpful to creating a larger audience.  

14 minutes ago, FionaE said:

In that interest, they would be better advised to share their indispositions and yes of course, agree with management how they wish to word it. 

I don't think we, the public, have any right to know someone's personal circumstances however much they may be in a public profession in the public eye.

If someone chooses to make something public that is one thing but if they don't we have no right to know.

And in the current circumstances discussing isolation could have an adverse affect on people's confidence that they are attending a "safe" performance.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jan McNulty said:

And in the current circumstances discussing isolation could have an adverse affect on people's confidence that they are attending a "safe" performance.

oh!  I have the opposite reaction to news of dancers isolating.  It gives me confidence that the ROH has stringent rules that they are adhering to.  For all staff … not only dancers.  

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
48 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Different money and public interest levels obviously.  But the principle is the same in my eyes.  

How would less "opaqueness" create a larger audience.? 

Even the ROH doesn't think who is dancing is part of the decision making process. Of all the (admittedly fatuous)  post performance or Friend's surveys they've sent me, I can't remember one (well, maybe one?) where 'to see my favorite dancer' (or something similar) is an option under the 'why did you attend the performance' question. 

And maybe they're right? What percentage of an audience, outside of people on this and similar ballet forums, attend becasue of who is dancing?  

Edited by oncnp

1 hour ago, FionaE said:

If Kane was injured and couldn’t play in the Euro 2020 semi-final, the public would be told.   They’d even be in depth analysis programmes on what the injury was and how long he might be out.  

I think the fact that it’s different public interest levels (the national team of the national sport) means the principle doesn’t really come in to it. The press would be hanging around outside Kane’s home or the team hotel to find out what the situation is.

• Like 1

Just a note for anyone going to the RBS presentation on Saturday 10th July at 12 noon, the Northern Line will not be working between Kennington and Charing Cross in either direction on that day.  You are asked to use alternative buses or tube lines.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

I guess this is the correct place for travel news for Sunday’s mixed bill.

I work for Great Western Trains and earlier this morning received a Retail Alert to inform me that the timetable will be affected all day on Sunday 11th July ‘due to a significant number of staff having to self isolate through test and trace’ which of course is code for ‘the football is on’. There are planned cancellations but also a risk of short notice ones too.
I imagine many train operating companies will face the same problems ⚠️ 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rob S said:

I guess this is the correct place for travel news for Sunday’s mixed bill.

I work for Great Western Trains and earlier this morning received a Retail Alert to inform me that the timetable will be affected all day on Sunday 11th July ‘due to a significant number of staff having to self isolate through test and trace’ which of course is code for ‘the football is on’. There are planned cancellations but also a risk of short notice ones too.
I imagine many train operating companies will face the same problems ⚠️ 

Thanks for the info, Rob.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Just a note for anyone going to the RBS presentation on Saturday 10th July at 12 noon, the Northern Line will not be working between Kennington and Charing Cross in either direction on that day.  You are asked to use alternative buses or tube lines.  

Thanks for the info, Bruce.  I am on the Northern Line but luckily I come into town from north, not south!

• Like 1

Hmmm I'll be travelling from Cardiff on Great Western (hopefully!!). Seems like the very worst day they could have ended up at reduced capacity. I was already anticipating an uncomfortably busy train... 

Thanks for the heads up though Rob 🙂 

Edited by DanJL

Pleased to say that both my Great Western trains were running and I'm safely seated on the return trip. Bit of an adventure getting to Paddington though. Only had about 45 minutes, so planned on getting a taxi, but they were very thin on the ground. I didn't fancy the tube with all the crowds, so ended up running to Paddington, dodging huge crowds of football fans and having to improvise a diversion to avoid a particularly boisterous bunch who'd blocked the road by Leicester Square. Got a little lost after that and had to navigate Google maps whilst jogging. But I made it on time! 

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Pleased to say that both my Great Western trains were running and I'm safely seated on the return trip. Bit of an adventure getting to Paddington though. Only had about 45 minutes, so planned on getting a taxi, but they were very thin on the ground. I didn't fancy the tube with all the crowds, so ended up running to Paddington, dodging huge crowds of football fans and having to improvise a diversion to avoid a particularly boisterous bunch who'd blocked the road by Leicester Square. Got a little lost after that and had to navigate Google maps whilst jogging. But I made it on time! 

Blimey, the tubes weren't THAT bad!!

27 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

Blimey, the tubes weren't THAT bad!!

Haha I've been very cautious on my recent ballet watching trips to London and avoided tubes (just being overly careful due to covid). I've found a nice walking route from Paddington through the parks, but there wasn't enough time to walk back today! 

Covent Garden and Leicester Square Stations were closed and my walk to Embankment was through group after group of football fans. Fair enough to be exhuberant but the resulting atmosphere was more threatening than was comfortable.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Covent Garden and Leicester Square Stations were closed and my walk to Embankment was through group after group of football fans. Fair enough to be exhuberant but the resulting atmosphere was more threatening than was comfortable.

I dived down Savoy Street from the Strand and walked through Embankment Gardens - it wasn't too bad.
After saying what I said about the tube, the one I was on had a few chanting groups (the singing out of tune - bellowing? - I could manage, if it weren't every other word an 'f' or a 'c' word, usually used in conjunction). I thought they'd get off at Westminster to go for the Jubille up to Wembley - but apparently not.

Also, once I caught my train from Victoria, a young couple sat in the seats opposite me and immediately took their masks off. Which was annoying!

2 hours ago, DanJL said:

Haha I've been very cautious on my recent ballet watching trips to London and avoided tubes (just being overly careful due to covid). I've found a nice walking route from Paddington through the parks, but there wasn't enough time to walk back today! 

To be honest, I usually get the train (overground) to London Bridge then to Charing Cross, so avoid the tube. Sundays though - no direct trains for me to LB, so have to go to Victoria and then the Dizzie line

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Hope everyone got back safely. It was certainly threatening at the point I had to turn back by Leicester Square - quite a few police on horses and the road covered in broken bottles. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oncnp

Related (sort of)

From the Friend's newsletter.... (UK mainland residents only)

If you’re in or around Covent Garden then don’t forget to visit our beautiful pointe shoe display, currently on view in the Royal Opera House Arcade.

Did you know that The Royal Ballet dances through over 6,000 pairs of pointe shoes each Season? Rather than throw these shoes away, our creative community of artists and craftspeople have worked with some of the UK’s top designers to create the Pointe Shoe Upcycling Project. Designers ROKSANDA, ERDEM, Simone Rocha, Rejina Pyo, Halpern, and Liberty used pointe shoes supplied by The Royal Ballet to create bespoke limited-edition pieces of art.

If you’d like to win one of these gorgeous one-of-a-kind pairs, all you need to do is enter the Royal Opera House Recovery Campaign Draw today. All proceeds go towards our Recovery Campaign. 

The Royal Opera House: The Royal Opera House Recovery Campaign Draw (enthuse.com)

Edited by oncnp

18 minutes ago, capybara said:

Nice, but they could have updated the accompanying script. It only takes a moment.

What is it with the ROH? Most jobs they do are ‘half done’.

Agree, they do seem to make a lot of mistakes on the website.

It's normal in "bigger" websites to have to have someone approve any edits before they're published - I wonder whether they just don't have this in place, either because they're short-handed or their system doesn't have this built in or set up.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, capybara said:

Nice, but they could have updated the accompanying script. It only takes a moment.

What is it with the ROH? Most jobs they do are ‘half done’.

ah, but it's 'world class' half done 😉

• Like 4