The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

I guess it could depend where you sit....as far as I'm concerned the 5-15 mins before show start refers to going in to the auditorium, not when you enter the foyer.

A bottle of water costs £2....I take a small botte of water with me in my man-bag but rarely need it but then it's not normally 27 degrees when I go

Edited by Rob S

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that 5 to 15 mins is at the entrance to the auditorium then? I interpreted the slightly vague wording as at the theatre entrance. My usual trains are not running so we’ll be walking from St Pancras, I need to stay hydrated but don’t want to be over-loaded with water bottles. Also don’t want to get too hot and fail the temperature scan…😅

Are people being admitted to the theatre building (not auditorium) before the entry time on the tickets?

Edited by Timmie

2 minutes ago, Timmie said:

Do you think that 5 to 15 mins is at the entrance to the auditorium then? I interpreted the slightly vague wording as at the theatre entrance. My usual trains are not running so we’ll be walking from St Pancras, I need to stay hydrated but don’t want to be over-loaded with water bottles. Also don’t want to get too hot and fail the temperature scan…😅

Yes....from what I've heard I think the foyer opens 45 mins (?) before curtain up, on each of the three occasions this season I turned up in the foyer 25 mins before with a ticket that 'stated 5-15 mins'

• Like 1

Interesting.  My tickets have always given a 25-minute window.  Be aware that you may need to queue outside before you can get in (and check which entrance you need to go in - the information I was initially given was incorrect), so I've always assumed it was arrival at the theatre.

And drinking water is not available except in the bottles (which are of course plastic.  I've reflected numerous times how considerations about pollution, recycling and so on have suddenly been turned on their heads in a pandemic).

I guess the time window depends where you’re sitting. We’re in the orchestra stalls, so in principle straight in the front door and into the auditorium. But we will need to make a diversion first 🙂.

A good point about the entrance though. Our tickets show the usual door for where we are seated but may not be correct with social distanced routeing.

So they are selling water then, presumably with the ice creams? I've never really noticed before if they sold bottled water or not.

The window differs depending on the seating area, you can see this info on a booking page....for the amphitheatre it's 30 to 5 mins, for the Stalls and SC it's 15-5 minutes, for the Grand Tier it's 40-25 mins!!! there are no more balcony seats available so can't see what that would be.

There are prices for the water and ice creams on the counter of the cloakroom but don't know where you buy them during the interval as I've always sat in my seat through an interval

1 hour ago, Rob S said:

There are prices for the water and ice creams on the counter of the cloakroom but don't know where you buy them during the interval as I've always sat in my seat through an interval

Yes, they're sold in the same place during the interval. Afraid I can't remember the prices as I've always bought multiple things. The new ice creams are very nice! They also sell ROH face masks - one with the legs of Nutcracker snowflakes and the other with lots of ballet shoes. I've bought one of each and found them particularly comfortable to wear! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmie said:

A good point about the entrance though.

I think this refers to getting into the building rather than the theatre. When I went the other day the Bow Street entrance was used for Stalls and Stalls Circle (just the one door where the old box office used to be); the new entrance for the Amphitheatre. Not sure about Balcony.
The website doesn’t seem to have this information and states: 

‘Please enter the Royal Opera House via the Bow Street entrance.’

https://www.roh.org.uk/visit-us/attending-a-performance-safely#entering-the-building

Enjoy Sunday’s matinee - I keep looking for returns as I see it’s now possible to get to London thanks to a new morning train service.

So far as entrance to the building is concerned, Amphi ticketholders enter through the main entrance to the "new" foyer (i.e. just to the south of the portico on Bow Street).  All other ticketholders enter through the main entrance to the theatre foyer proper (the "1858 foyer"), using the southern-most door (i.e. beside the entrance for Amphi ticketholders). 

• Like 1

I am not sure what the "time slot" thing was meant to be about...it seems like a Covid measure  that has not been implemented in practice. We have found no issue with going in via  the main doors soon after opening  at 45 minutes before the start, and entering the auditorium when we like. 

In fact the auditorium seems to be open much earlier than in the past at least 30 minutes before the start. Yesterday  after the obligatory comfort breaks we just wandered in (no usher) to a wholly empty orchestra stalls  at 6:30 - very surreal! 

2 hours ago, DanJL said:

Afraid I can't remember the prices as I've always bought multiple things. The new ice creams are very nice!

The ice creams are now £4  - glad you like them !    I personally preferred the previous £3 offerings - especially the stem ginger one. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies folks 👍. Looks like we’ll go for our usual schedule of planning to get there an hour before kick-off which allows for any delays and gives us a chance to wind down after what’ll probably be a hot and sticky journey.

Stem ginger is my usual favourite as well but I do like the sorbets in the Summer 🙂.

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Enjoy Sunday’s matinee - I keep looking for returns as I see it’s now possible to get to London thanks to a new morning train service.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. Dances at a Gathering was the last thing I saw before lock-down so it's nice it'll be more-or-less the first thing I'll see 🙂.

• Like 1

Pretty much my first memory of ROH is eating a Loseley lemon sorbet (unheard-of sophistication!) at a schools matinee. I also recall that we worked out you could spring the catch for the opera glasses with the wooden spoon instead of putting 20p in.

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 6

Actually, I always preferred Sadler's Wells' - they had all the flavours I liked (same brand) which ROH didn't usually stock.  I never ate the ROH ones unless desperate, or unless they brought the Alphonso mango sorbet in.

If it isn't - and I hope it is - I hope they'll at least indicate the number of casts and when they're scheduled to perform.  I wouldn't necessarily want to book several and find I'd got the same principals each time.

Well, those of us who abided by the timing on our tickets tonight found ourselves caught up in very heavy security for Prince Charles’s arrival.

I remember the days when the Queen Mother in particular used to step out of a limo and walk through a throng of people in the ROH foyer. Now, there are 6 or more police vehicles with flashing lights blocking the roads  and ‘dozens’ of seemingly armed Officers redirecting pedestrians.

• Like 1

The timings for the Sleeping Beauty bill are up:

Approximate running times: 

Anemoi: 30 minutes

Interval: 25 minutes

Divertissements: 50 minutes

Interval: 20 minutes

The Sleeping Beauty Act III: 45 minutes

Total ~2 hours 50 minutes

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

Well, those of us who abided by the timing on our tickets tonight found ourselves caught up in very heavy security for Prince Charles’s arrival.

I remember the days when the Queen Mother in particular used to step out of a limo and walk through a throng of people in the ROH foyer. Now, there are 6 or more police vehicles with flashing lights blocking the roads  and ‘dozens’ of seemingly armed Officers redirecting pedestrians.

I now know what all the sniffer dogs were doing !..this is the second time we have sat underneath P C without being aware of his presence...

It's the livestreaming of Balanchine / Robbins tonight.  The performance in the theatre starts at 7pm - but the live streaming says it starts at 7:30. I think this must be deliberate - it's not really "live" but with a half hour delay.  The Beauty stream also says it starts at 8pm. (later than the live show)

I presume this gives them a chance to edit any blips ? Anyone have any further insight.  (I would hate to log on at 7:30 and find that Apollo was just finishing...)

28 minutes ago, Lynette H said:

It's the livestreaming of Balanchine / Robbins tonight.  The performance in the theatre starts at 7pm - but the live streaming says it starts at 7:30. I think this must be deliberate - it's not really "live" but with a half hour delay.  The Beauty stream also says it starts at 8pm. (later than the live show)

I presume this gives them a chance to edit any blips ? Anyone have any further insight.  (I would hate to log on at 7:30 and find that Apollo was just finishing...)

They did the same with the 21st Century Choreographers stream. The live performance started at 7pm and the stream at 7.30pm.  This allowed them to stream the ballets without an interval break. 'The Statement' followed directly after the Kyle Abraham piece. Might this mean that, although there will be a delay of 30 minutes before they show the performances of Apollo and the Tchaikovsky pas de deux, the performance of Dances at a Gathering will be shown live?

Edited to suggest that maybe the Beauty stream is scheduled to start an hour after the beginning of the live performance so as to  'eliminate' two intervals.

Edited by Bluebird
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, and I'm really cheesed off - I was sure the first time I'd booked it was for the 8th, but when I checked recently no booking had gone through for that date, and there weren't any tickets left I could use :( 

19 hours ago, FionaE said:

Perusing the casting on ROH website …. 

All tickets for Beauty programme are SOLD OUT!

Managed to get a single (!) ticket today in the front row of the amphitheatre for next Friday!  👍 

• Like 4