The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
10 minutes ago, capybara said:

Does anyone remember how long 'Golden Hour' is, please?

It is ~ 32 minutes on the DVD without curtain calls if that helps.

Does anyone know how long the Balanchine/Robbins programme is, please? I need to know to book my train as I'm going straight home after the sunday matinée. No great rush as Arriva haven't even got their timetable ready yet for June weekends, or Sundays at least. Don't know how current train users are managing. However want to get booked ASAP as soon as the times are announced in case there's a rush. 

I'd take a guess that Apollo is roughly 30 minutes, Tchai pas maybe 12, and DAAG is 65 minutes.  Add perhaps one interval of 25 minutes ... it rather depends on whether the Balanchines are in the same half or whether there's an interval between them.

Anyone want to take a stab at how far I'm out?  I was doing it all from memory.

Guest oncnp
14 minutes ago, alison said:

I'd take a guess that Apollo is roughly 30 minutes, Tchai pas maybe 12, and DAAG is 65 minutes.  Add perhaps one interval of 25 minutes ... it rather depends on whether the Balanchines are in the same half or whether there's an interval between them.

Anyone want to take a stab at how far I'm out?  I was doing it all from memory.

Your memory appears excellent

- Apollo 28 Min - Apollo | New York City Ballet (nycballet.com)

- Tch - ~ 9:50 based on World Ballet Day rehearsal (a good excuse to watch it again); 10 minutes per Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux | Balanchine

- DAAG - ~66 minutes based on DVD

Edited by oncnp

21 hours ago, oncnp said:

Your memory appears excellent

- Apollo 28 Min - Apollo | New York City Ballet (nycballet.com)

- Tch - ~ 9:50 based on World Ballet Day rehearsal (a good excuse to watch it again); 10 minutes per Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux | Balanchine

- DAAG - ~66 minutes based on DVD

Thanks everyone. With one interval it seems the programme will last just over 2 hours which is great.

I went to the first night of La clemenza di Tito this evening.  It was a rather muted affair.

Amphitheatre patrons are segregated from the front of house patrons and the Floral Hall is reserved all evening for pre-booked diners only.  You are required to have your ticket scanned at the foot of the side stairs.  The rear entrance beside the bookshop is closed, so you need to approach from the tube station via Floral Street.

Programmes and cast sheets will not be available until next season.  Cast lists are not displayed in the audience areas.  You are required to download the cast list on your smartphone.

The running times for the first Triple Bill are:

WTGH - 34 mins from 19.03

Curtain call/pause - 8 minutes

New Kyle Abraham - 9 mins

Curtain call/announcement

Interval 19.58 - 20.28

The Statement - 19 mins

Curtain call/pause

Solo Echo - 21 mins

Curtain call

Close 21.21

In trying to get this information, I ended up listening to a message from Alex Beard about donations 7 times!!!!

By the way, Li Tai Po, the arrangements appear generally similar to those last autumn/December but with the addition of the dining option.

How was Fumi Kaneko's performance in La Clemenza de Tito?

• Like 2

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Thanks oncnp....just wondering where you got that from? - I can't see a link on the ROH website.

I found it by typing "cast sheet" into the search field on the ROH website but I see now it's on that pesky "More Info" page 21st-Century Choreographers (roh.org.uk) in the right column. 

I think it was only posted in the last hour or so so it might not have been anywhere when you looked. 

Edited by oncnp

27 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

Thanks oncnp....just wondering where you got that from? - I can't see a link on the ROH website.

The words were reported in some of the tabloid press yesterday but didn't read very well so I didn't include an article in links.  It looks like a standard agency press release.

Guest oncnp
4 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

The words were reported in some of the tabloid press yesterday but didn't read very well so I didn't include an article in links.  It looks like a standard agency press release.

was this meant to refer to the Reuter's link? (v. casting sheet)

Edited by oncnp

53 minutes ago, oncnp said:

I think it was only posted in the last hour or so so it might not have been anywhere when you looked.

Yes that must be it...I had that link but it was only showing yesterday's opera when I tried. Hopefully future cast lists  will be posted rather sooner in the day!

3 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Yes that must be it...I had that link but it was only showing yesterday's opera when I tried. Hopefully future cast lists  will be posted rather sooner in the day!

Agreed! I’d asked about it on Twitter and after a bit of toing and froing, was sent a link to it one minute after I’d left the office to walk to Covent Garden!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Just looking at the casting of the Karl Abraham - wondering why the cast for the 30th have no other performances. Really feel for Melissa Hamilton -  she is so under used.

Yes, what's happened to Beatrix Stix Brunel as well? Is she cast in anything? I really enjoy her performances but haven't seen her much in any of the concerts streamed over the past year or seen her mentioned much in the upcoming ones. I know Kevin is spoilt for choice with the quality of the dancers available to him but even so to neglect someone so obviously talented... Unless for whatever reason it's her own choice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Balletfanp said:

She’s been injured, I think (in the public domain as she mentioned it on Instagram a while back).

Thanks very much for this, Balletfanp. I joined Instagram to try and catch up with the latest news of my favourite dancers but I can find pictures and videos but no text. Hopefully she'll be back fully fit for September.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmhopton said:

Thanks very much for this, Balletfanp. I joined Instagram to try and catch up with the latest news of my favourite dancers but I can find pictures and videos but no text. Hopefully she'll be back fully fit for September.

Joan, if you click on the pictures to open them up you should see any text (including comments) alongside them.  I love IG as a medium for photograph sharing (I probably share far too many) but it took me a while to get the hang of it.

If you are an active poster you have to do it from a phone/tablet app; you can view and make comments on posts on a computer but you can't post your photographs from one.  I find that quite irritating because if I want to post photographs I have taken on my camera I have to wait for my devices to sync before I can.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Joan, if you click on the pictures to open them up you should see any text (including comments) alongside them.  I love IG as a medium for photograph sharing (I probably share far too many) but it took me a while to get the hang of it.

If you are an active poster you have to do it from a phone/tablet app; you can view and make comments on posts on a computer but you can't post your photographs from one.  I find that quite irritating because if I want to post photographs I have taken on my camera I have to wait for my devices to sync before I can.

I email the photos to myself using the laptop and then access the email on the phone, I gave up waiting for syncing long ago 

4 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

My camera has a Wi-fi function that allows me to transfer easily using an app on my ‘phone. It’s great!

In theory so does mine Lee but sadly when Mac OS upgraded a couple of years ago the camera software did not!!  I queried this with the camera company and it was "oh dear...".

My cloud does update fairly quickly so it's not too much of a problem, more of a minor irritation.

Guest oncnp

Insights: The RB in RehearsalTuesday 15 June 2021, 7.30pm | Clore Studio

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/insights-the-royal-ballet-in-rehearsal-details

Tickets are on sale for Friends (add 5 hours for BST)

General: 25 May 2021, 4.30am
Young ROH: 24 May 2021, 11am
Friends: 24 May 2021, 9am
Young Friends: 24 May 2021, 9am
Friends+: 24 May 2021, 7am
Supporting Friends: 20 May 2021, 11am
Premium 1 Friends: 20 May 2021, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 20 May 2021, 7am

5 hours ago, Rob S said:

I email the photos to myself using the laptop and then access the email on the phone, I gave up waiting for syncing long ago 

I did this too for about a year but got very fed up with it, especially as when we went into the first lockdown last year I didn't have my phone on much of the time. So a bit of Googling revealed a way of posting photos from a desktop computer. It only works for main posts, not for stories, but as I mostly do the former then it's working very well for me.