The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

27 minutes ago, LinMM said:

And here’s me thinking I can do the double on June 26th and see students in afternoon and Beauty programme in the evening when already looks like Beauty is out that day so have to split that. 

It's going to incredibly difficult to get tickets for the RBS performances in the Linbury (and, to an extent, on the main stage) as the school have confirmed the parents of the students will have priority (I'll let you know how booking for RBS Friends goes).

• Like 3

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hope it isn’t that sold out already as even ordinary Friends ( which many of my ballet friends are) haven’t even had a chance to book yet ...let alone the general public!! 
I think I’m resigning myself now to not being able to see the Royal until the Autumn. 
Still ENB has what seems like a nice programme at the Festival Hall in June........

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Still ENB has what seems like a nice programme at the Festival Hall in June........

And Northern Ballet are at Sadler's Wells in June.  I really like Dangerous Liaisons but I know it has been tweaked.  The mixed programme is fab!

• Like 2

In answer to bangorballetboy yes I realised it would probably be much more difficult to see the students this year with all the restrictions as quite rightly families should be prioritised. Was just hoping might get an odd seat but it looks like this year those “odd seats” are just the ones not available!!

Its a shame they couldn’t have had a couple more days in the Linbury in the circumstances. They missed out being seen last year so had really been hoping things might have got more back to normal by this summer but alas not so 😢 

Anyway at least I know the score now when booking on Friday.....will have a gin and orange standing by for either celebration or commiseration as it may be 🍹 

I have found that the ROH's idea of the best available seat for the price in any area does not tend to coincide with my  own! 

So if the first allocation you get for a particular performance  doesn't suit, within your 30 minute time slot you can delete it from your basket and try another area, or price, or else keep it in your basket initially and book somewhere else in the same area (to find what is the next allocated choice there) or elsewhere, up to the allocation limit of 4 tickets per performance, and then delete what you don't want before going to the checkout.

That all sounds rather convoluted but I hope it makes sense.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Richard LH said:

I have found that the ROH's idea of the best available seat for the price in any area does not tend to coincide with my  own! 

So if the first allocation you get for a particular performance  doesn't suit, within your 30 minute time slot you can delete it from your basket and try another area, or price, or else keep it in your basket initially and book somewhere else in the same area (to find what is the next allocated choice there) or elsewhere, up to the allocation limit of 4 tickets per performance, and then delete what you don't want before going to the checkout.

That all sounds rather convoluted but I hope it makes sense.

I did the same thing! I don't really understand why the old system couldn't have been used and which shows all the seats available to select in a particular part of the auditorium. They could have simply blanked out those seats not available to book. Anyway let's hope normal booking resumes for the autumn!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, MJW said:

I did the same thing! I don't really understand why the old system couldn't have been used and which shows all the seats available to select in a particular part of the auditorium. They could have simply blanked out those seats not available to book. Anyway let's hope normal booking resumes for the autumn!

As did I!  And I join in that hope!  I have no idea whether my preferred seating choices were available, but my repeated efforts failed to procure any,  and I was even more disappointed in the location of the few single seats I found avaiiable in my preferred price bands.

54 minutes ago, MJW said:

As I mentioned last year,  my local decent theatre, the Theatre Royal Bath, managed to use the sytem you described. ROH has had plenty of time to work out a way of doing the same....it's not like they fixed the lifts instead

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bangorballetboy said:

It's going to incredibly difficult to get tickets for the RBS performances in the Linbury (and, to an extent, on the main stage) as the school have confirmed the parents of the students will have priority (I'll let you know how booking for RBS Friends goes).

Do you happen to know, but I read somewhere that the lower school performances will be performed at White Lodge not in the Linbury.

1 hour ago, Richard LH said:

It never has done.  It "thinks" that a central seat farther back is better than a closer one on the side.  You may (well) not agree with it.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Rob S said:

As I mentioned last year,  my local decent theatre, the Theatre Royal Bath, managed to use the sytem you described. ROH has had plenty of time to work out a way of doing the same....it's not like they fixed the lifts instead

I've thought about this and maybe the ROH system - which is peculiar to them - just didn't readily allow this. Some of us are all too aware that the software that Sadler's Wells uses, for example, already had something similar set up.

They could possibly have developed something specifically, but I imagine spending has been very tightly controlled and development can easily attract a large bill.

33 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Do you happen to know, but I read somewhere that the lower school performances will be performed at White Lodge not in the Linbury.

That's right.  It's only upper school in the Linbury and each performance is just one year group.

23 June 1st year

24 June (m) 2nd year

24 June (e) 3rd year

25 June 2nd year

26 June (m) 1st year

26 June (e) 3rd year

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

I've thought about this and maybe the ROH system - which is peculiar to them - just didn't readily allow this. Some of us are all too aware that the software that Sadler's Wells uses, for example, already had something similar set up.

They could possibly have developed something specifically, but I imagine spending has been very tightly controlled and development can easily attract a large bill.

Someone at the ROH had to work out which seats should be left empty....worst case scenario, a small team of booking office people then have to book those seats for every performance before they go on sale to real people. So long as they don't use Fujitsu systems to directly connect 'booked' empty seats and income figures the booking office team won't get charged with theft and the public can see which seats are available to book, everyone's a winner

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alison said:

It never has done.  It "thinks" that a central seat farther back is better than a closer one on the side.  You may (well) not agree with it.

I never go for a central seat (unless I'm on the front row of any area; very seldom) as I find if I get someone tall in front it completely blocks my view. I always prefer a seat more to the side.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Someone at the ROH had to work out which seats should be left empty....worst case scenario, a small team of booking office people then have to book those seats for every performance before they go on sale to real people. So long as they don't use Fujitsu systems to directly connect 'booked' empty seats and income figures the booking office team won't get charged with theft and the public can see which seats are available to book, everyone's a winner

but how does the system ensure doubles aren't booked by two unbubbled singles?

With the seating layout in the ROH, I can imagine that it might be a nightmare trying to work out which seats to take out compared with, say, Sadler's Wells, where everything is in nice straight rows, all equally spaced.

1 minute ago, alison said:

With the seating layout in the ROH, I can imagine that it might be a nightmare trying to work out which seats to take out compared with, say, Sadler's Wells, where everything is in nice straight rows, all equally spaced.

But someone had to work it out for the performances that have been on offer since this time last year.

35 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

but how does the system ensure doubles aren't booked by two unbubbled singles?

It has to be an option on their system, numerous venues have prevented me from choosing a seat that would leave one empty seat next to me, forcing me to choose another bit of the theatre, we know from last year that this one is able to work out when a booker's maximum number of tickets per programme had been reached or in normal times when a ticket for different ballets had to be bought in order to buy Total Ballet packages for example.

Edited by Rob S

31 minutes ago, Rob S said:

It has to be an option on their system, numerous venues have prevented me from choosing a seat that would leave one empty seat next to me, forcing me to choose another bit of the theatre, we know from last year that this one is able to work out when a booker's maximum number of tickets per programme had been reached or in normal times when a ticket for different ballets had to be bought in order to buy Total Ballet packages for example.

But these are different systems and different calculations. (And at the ROH subscription process mentioned looked to me like something developed specifically for that task.) And we know that the ROH have been working for years on a replacement for the current set-up - possibly because of the limitations, not necessarily visible to us, of the current one.

If a seat map-based system had been a simple option I don't see why ROH wouldn't have implemented one, rather than having us all complaining at them and phoning their already stretched box office staff. That to me is the most compelling evidence that it wasn't.

21 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I don't know why they didn't just sell single seats - its not like you should be talking to each other all the way through the performance.

It would suit me and many on the Forum but wouldn't it result in even less audience members as everyone would have to be socially distanced from everyone else.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Am waiting nervously to hear how ROH Friends get on with booking today!!

Can anyone looking at Thursday June 10th tell me how it’s looking for that day 🤔 

I couldn't get a single ticket for any of the dates I tried for the Balanchine/Robbins bill (inc 10th June), at any price. I'll try again when general booking opens tomorrow, but maybe they haven't held back any singles. Grrr... 😒

Edited by bridiem
Added programme for which I tried to book
  • Like 1

All I was offered was a standing, 2nd row, Upper Slips, for 1 performance, with very poor visibility. Not worth a 380 round trip for. (I only checked the Robbins/Balanchine bill but presumably it's true for all).

It's very poor that there are so few single tickets available.

• Like 5

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I couldn't get a single ticket for any of the dates I tried (inc 10th June), at any price. I'll try again when general booking opens tomorrow, but maybe they haven't held back any singles. Grrr... 😒

Singles were pretty scarce even when booking opened on Tues, and none anywhere near the stage for the couple Robbins/Balanchine programs I was looking at.  

15 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Not the ROH but don't talk to me about discrimination towards single ticket bookers...

I guess that a number of us are becoming familiar with this nonsensical message?

We could not find 1 tickets together. Try requesting fewer tickets, or select a different area.

• Like 12