The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, LinMM said:

I remember Bergsma mostly as a lovely Lilac Fairy in Sleeping Beauty and in Enigma  Variations and in a more modern ballet could have been Tetley can’t think of name. 

Field Figures? 

Actually I found the schedule few days ago from this forum before I join this forum. Just wanna say thanks for the information :) unfortunately I can't attend as I live so far away from the UK, but will try to find a way to watch the livestream. Really wanna see Nunez and Muntagirov do that Tchai PDD after I saw them rehearsed it last year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Actually I found the schedule few days ago from this forum before I join this forum. Just wanna say thanks for the information :) unfortunately I can't attend as I live so far away from the UK, but will try to find a way to watch the livestream. Really wanna see Nunez and Muntagirov do that Tchai PDD after I saw them rehearsed it last year

Hello Raven and welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
On 13/04/2021 at 14:10, oncnp said:

General: 7 May 2021, 5am
Young ROH: 6 May 2021, 9am
Friends: 6 May 2021, 5am
Young Friends: 6 May 2021, 5am
Friends+: 5 May 2021, 9am
Supporting Friends: 5 May 2021, 5am
Premium 1 Friends: 4 May 2021, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 4 May 2021, 5am

It appears booking times have been moved up by 30 minutes (add 5 hours for GMT)

General: 7 May 2021, 4.30am
Young ROH: 6 May 2021, 8.30am
Friends: 6 May 2021, 4.30am
Young Friends: 6 May 2021, 4.30am
Friends+: 5 May 2021, 8.30am
Supporting Friends: 5 May 2021, 4.30am
Premium 1 Friends: 4 May 2021, 8.30am
Premium 2 Friends: 4 May 2021, 4.30am

After apparently overlooking  the Fonteyn centenary in 2019 and remedying the oversight by adding a gala in her honour somewhat late in the day perhaps  Kevin has become a little more aware of the company's significant anniversaries. Perhaps he has appointed one of the more historically aware members of staff on the admin side to remind him about them as they arise or perhaps he got someone to draw up a list of them to avoid further embarrassment. Well whether the choice of repertory is the result of the desire to mark significant anniversaries or merely a matter of chance  Kevin has managed with the two of the ballets he has announced to suggest that he is acknowledging the company's ninetieth  anniversary and the centenary of the first London staging of the  Sleeping Beauty the ballet which has played a significant part in the history and long term development of the company and its international standing. Perhaps staging what to all intents and purposes is Aurora's Wedding is more appropriate than performing the whole ballet since it is a reminder of the important part that Diaghilev played in creating a real interest in ballet in this country which made audiences far more receptive to the early efforts of Rambert and de Valois and willing and eager to support them.

I wonder what state the company's twentieth century repertory will be in when it comes to celebrating the centenary and how much of it will be left given the limited range of works from it which we are permitted to see with anything approaching regularity. I don't think that denying the Ashton two and three act ballets a regular place in the seasonal turnover of repertory helps maintain his performance style when the company is dancing so many works which seem to rely on asymmetry and displays of extreme energy for their effect. While the label "Heritage Works" suggests that the ballets in question are old fashioned and irrelevant and only merit revival on special occasions such as significant anniversaries. Then if they fail to make much of an impression their past neglect will be justified as will their further long term neglect . The problem with the beneficial neglect approach is that works which lie unperformed for any length of time wither and die and the works to which this policy is being applied include a significant number of major works by the great choreographers of the last century. They are works which should be part of the company's active repertory even if that means they only see the light of day every five or six years because dancers need the opportunity to dance in them more than once in their careers and audiences have the right to see them.

• Like 7

On 22/04/2021 at 22:17, oncnp said:

It appears booking times have been moved up by 30 minutes (add 5 hours for GMT)

General: 7 May 2021, 4.30am
Young ROH: 6 May 2021, 8.30am
Friends: 6 May 2021, 4.30am
Young Friends: 6 May 2021, 4.30am
Friends+: 5 May 2021, 8.30am
Supporting Friends: 5 May 2021, 4.30am
Premium 1 Friends: 4 May 2021, 8.30am
Premium 2 Friends: 4 May 2021, 4.30am

@oncnp thank you very much for the alert on bookings timings.  I am resigned to the fact that very little will be available once my level is reached, unless there are sufficient held back to satisfy the enormous penthouse demand 🙏

However we do have the streams, which is an enormous upside for me.  Thank you also for the alert that these links are loaded and ready for booking 🙏

5 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

This is interesting but I thought I'd read somewhere that Romeo and Juliet were opening the season in September and yet here they're scheduled for February. Does anyone else remember this or have I got it mixed-up?

Just now, jmhopton said:

This is interesting but I thought I'd read somewhere that Romeo and Juliet were opening the season in September and yet here they're scheduled for February. Does anyone else remember this or have I got it mixed-up?

I read it was R&J starting the season too

2 hours ago, capybara said:

I believe that a Season summary of some kind is due out this week.

The online announcements are ahead of it.

The ROH Friends magazine has arrived but there aren't any performance dates for 2021/22 in it, just booking dates. It says the new season summary should be issued at the beginning of June. 

For this summer it does say that the "meet the Young Dancers" insight event will now be streamed on 7th May. Other insight events are mentioned but there are no dates for these yet. 

• Like 2

This is me probably being unrealistic and totally wishful thinking, but I don't suppose Kevin has seen the light (and what so many people want) and is starting the season with La Fille? To open up with such a happy, fun, colourful ballet after 18 months of practically no full length ballets would be a real joy and a great reply to the months of stresses and strains experienced by so many. It's probably too good to be true but all the other full-length ballets mentioned in the programme outline in March seem to have been accounted for later in the year if the School/NHS programmes are accurate. Unless they're doing spilt performances of Romeo and Juliet in September and February. If Wayne Macgregor's new full length is in October surely they wouldn't open with another debut with Like Water for Chocolate, or a contemporary triple bill when they know people are desperate for a full length work after months of short ballets. I can only hope, I suppose until June when more should be revealed.

• Like 1

Didn't one of the announcements mention that the season is bookended by the new ballets? Dante project opening and Like water for chocolate closing the season. Or have I imagined that? They may have changed plans since then of course.

Then with the clues in the link we seem to have Giselle in late autumn, Nutcracker over Christmas, Romeo and Juliet early in the New Year, Swan Lake in spring.

On 28/04/2021 at 22:09, DanJL said:

Didn't one of the announcements mention that the season is bookended by the new ballets? Dante project opening and Like water for chocolate closing the season. Or have I imagined that? They may have changed plans since then of course.

Then with the clues in the link we seem to have Giselle in late autumn, Nutcracker over Christmas, Romeo and Juliet early in the New Year, Swan Lake in spring.

Just like the olden days 😉

• Like 1

Guest oncnp

Additional information from the Friends Newsletter

Box office opens for bookings at 10:00 and 2:00 BST for each group (1/2 hour after on-line bookings open)

More single tickets promised but still limited 

Ticket holders are invited to dine around the show in the Piazza Restaurant or the Paul Hamlyn Hall. We will also have a table service bar with light snacks available in the Paul Hamlyn Hall. All options must be pre-booked in advance. Booking information will be sent to ticket buyers nearer the time of their performance.

Guest oncnp

Just to note some of the ROH lifts are out of commission

Main Stage

There is no lift and step-free access to the auditorium for tickets that use doors 1D, 2D, 3E and 4E due to maintenance work. Wheelchair and companion seats are still available on level 6 (door 6F) and in the Stalls Circle. Step-free access to the left hand side of the auditorium is subject to delay due to only one lift being in operation.