The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

I was rather hoping they might open with Dances - imagine the curtain going up in silence on the dark, empty stage which is all there's been for these long months, and then the man walks on and slowly tries a few steps and the music starts... and then the ending, when maybe for this one time they could look directly at us instead of up to the sky, and maybe the man could just stretch out his arms to us... not a dry eye in the house!

• Like 10

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Jamesrhblack said:

No Sarah Lamb in WTGH or DAG and no Tierney Heap either...

Lots of casting I'm really excited about and can't wait to see 😊 But no mention of Sarah Lamb anywhere is my main disappointment. Hopefully she may still appear in the third programme 🤞🏻

Guest oncnp
16 minutes ago, now voyager said:

What are the booking dates for the various categories of Friends?

General: 7 May 2021, 5am
Young ROH: 6 May 2021, 9am
Friends: 6 May 2021, 5am
Young Friends: 6 May 2021, 5am
Friends+: 5 May 2021, 9am
Supporting Friends: 5 May 2021, 5am
Premium 1 Friends: 4 May 2021, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 4 May 2021, 5am

1 hour ago, Jamesrhblack said:

No Sarah Lamb in WTGH or DAG and no Tierney Heap either...

Can anybody remember who Teo Debreuil is taking over from in the second cast of DAG? I’ve tried some googling but can’t find details of the 2020 second cast...

According to my records, the two casts from 2020 were:

- Nunez, Hayward, Naghdi, Kaneko, Morera, Campbell, Bracewell, Bonelli, Zucchetti, Acri
- Lamb, Magri, Hinkis, O'Sullivan, Heap, Sambe, Edmonds, Clarke, Ella, Hay

Order is: Pink, Lilac, Yellow, Blue, Green, Brown, Green, Red, Blue, Orange

So I would guess that Dubreuil is taking over from Reece Clarke in Red

Edited by Saodan

Guest oncnp
28 minutes ago, oncnp said:

General: 7 May 2021, 5am
Young ROH: 6 May 2021, 9am
Friends: 6 May 2021, 5am
Young Friends: 6 May 2021, 5am
Friends+: 5 May 2021, 9am
Supporting Friends: 5 May 2021, 5am
Premium 1 Friends: 4 May 2021, 9am
Premium 2 Friends: 4 May 2021, 5am

Sorry - add 5 hours to those times

Guest oncnp
8 hours ago, Richard LH said:

Actually it looks as if they  may only be available on the one specified day, going by the blurb for each one  on the website..."There will be a livestream of the performance on ......... Watch via ROH Stream".

The Membership office has said they will be available for the usual 30 days.

11 hours ago, Saodan said:

According to my records, the two casts from 2020 were:

- Nunez, Hayward, Naghdi, Kaneko, Morera, Campbell, Bracewell, Bonelli, Zucchetti, Acri
- Lamb, Magri, Hinkis, O'Sullivan, Heap, Sambe, Edmonds, Clarke, Ella, Hay

Order is: Pink, Lilac, Yellow, Blue, Green, Brown, Green, Red, Blue, Orange

So I would guess that Dubreuil is taking over from Reece Clarke in Red

Thanks. Clarke is listed in the second cast so it must be replacing Edmonds...

3 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

Thanks. Clarke is listed in the second cast so it must be replacing Edmonds...

Yes, I think you must be right. It looks like they have changed the order of the roles around from last time, so Clarke still doing Red, Dubreuil replacing Edmonds in Green.

I do wish the ROH would be a little clear and more consistent with casting information!

I was very pleased to see that there will be quite a number of performances between May and July; I was a bit worried there would only be a few, which would mean a lot of people would miss out. 

Between now and early I have got to try and work out which performances to try for and balance that with work commitments etc ! I'm hoping that booking might be a bit easier than it was at the end of last year!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Looking at the opera side, I see that Fumi Kaneko has been cast in La Clemenza di Tito.

https://www.roh.org.uk/tickets-and-events/la-clemenza-di-tito-by-richard-jones-dates

Together with Leo Dixon's and Elizabeth McGorian's appearances in Death in Venice, I hope this makes a trend!

they must have been taking singing lessons in lockdown, as the ROH website never makes mistakes (ahem)

• Like 1

I wouldn't get too excited about seeing Cuthbertson as Aurora or anyone else among the principal dancers in the final mixed bill. We are only getting act 3 of Sleeping  Beauty not the entire ballet. With any luck management will use these performances as an opportunity to try out some of the younger dancers in roles they must covet.

As far as the divertisements are concerned I sincerely hope that we are spared Voices of Spring as everyone who dances it now is far too earnest about it and completely fails to recognise it as a tongue in cheek homage to soviet style exhibitions of dance like Spring Waters. I should like to think that we will be given the opportunity to see some of Ashton's less frequently performed gala pieces such as the Thais pas de deux;  Raymonda pas de deux; Varii Caprici and The Walk to the Paradise Garden.  I would be quite happy to see the Awakening pas de deux from Sleeping Beauty once again and his Pas de Quatre from Swan Lake. 

As far as Clemenza is concerned the fact that Kaneko has been cast suggests that the new production will include Berenice's departure from Rome something which is not  essential to a successful staging of the opera but was included in the 1974 production.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

they must have been taking singing lessons in lockdown, as the ROH website never makes mistakes (ahem)

It’s a mime role, not included in the libretto but sometimes introduced to help clarify the story. Deanne Bergsma took the role in the 1974 production at the ROH.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FLOSS said:

I wouldn't get too excited about seeing Cuthbertson as Aurora or anyone else among the principal dancers in the final mixed bill. We are only getting act 3 of Sleeping  Beauty not the entire ballet. With any luck management will use these performances as an opportunity to try out some of the younger dancers in roles they must covet.

As far as the divertisements are concerned I sincerely hope that we are spared Voices of Spring as everyone who dances it now is far too earnest about it and completely fails to recognise it as a tongue in cheek homage to soviet style exhibitions of dance like Spring Waters. I should like to think that we will be given the opportunity to see some of Ashton's less frequently performed gala pieces such as the Thais pas de deux;  Raymonda pas de deux; Varii Caprici and The Walk to the Paradise Garden.  I would be quite happy to see the Awakening pas de deux from Sleeping Beauty once again and his Pas de Quatre from Swan Lake. 

As far as Clemenza is concerned the fact that Kaneko has been cast suggests that the new production will include Berenice's departure from Rome something which is not  essential to a successful staging of the opera but was included in the 1974 production.

I know of at least one Principal who will be dancing Aurora.  If there’s one, there may well be more...

I suppose, too, that doing one act of Sleeping Beauty is probably a good way of easing the dancers back into classical ballet, because it won't require the sort of levels of performance stamina that doing the whole 3-4 acts would?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alison said:

I suppose, too, that doing one act of Sleeping Beauty is probably a good way of easing the dancers back into classical ballet, because it won't require the sort of levels of performance stamina that doing the whole 3-4 acts would?

The key criteria underpinning the spring/summer programme appear to be to provide opportunities for as many dancers as possible and staging logistics. But performance fitness must also come into play.

Not easy in planning terms but the second and third programmes are especially attractive.

• Like 6

Guest oncnp

According to the ArtsDesk story in today's links

"Yet as soon as restrictions allow, a series of classes will be held on the Opera House main stage, open to the public."

I hope they stream or record them. 

19 hours ago, Jamesrhblack said:

It’s a mime role, not included in the libretto but sometimes introduced to help clarify the story. Deanne Bergsma took the role in the 1974 production at the ROH.

...as she did at the premiere, in 1973, and for years afterwards.

52 minutes ago, Jane S said:

...as she did at the premiere, in 1973, and for years afterwards.

No, the ROH production La Clemenza di Tito in which Bergsma was Berenice was first performed in 1974...

Are you thinking of Death in Venice? That was premiered in 1973.