The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

17 hours ago, Rob S said:

We had a retail circular at work (at a train operating company) today to say that with trains being used for non essential travel soon a reservation system will be in operation to restrict passenger numbers, with reservations ‘strongly advised’ on all First services and Crosscountry Trains otherwise carriage on a particular train can’t be assumed. This even applies to off duty staff using their privilege passes ie me. This may help with your concerns 

Neither of the train companies I can use to get down to London, Greater Anglia & Thameslink, have previously had reservations on their Cambridge-London trains & nor do they have guards. So I can't imagine how they would implement such a system.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

Neither of the train companies I can use to get down to London, Greater Anglia & Thameslink, have previously had reservations on their Cambridge-London trains & nor do they have guards. So I can't imagine how they would implement such a system.

Hmmm....can you sit in the toilet for the whole journey? 🤔

Now, that would make her popular ;)  Yes, trouble is, I don't think most of the "metro" services round London have that facility, only the long-distance trains.  It's one of the failings of the new Thameslink rolling-stock that nobody seemed to think that people might want to make long-distance trips on them rather than commute: virtually no tables, frequently no Wi-Fi, ..., and I can't remember whether there was any at-seat reservation facility, but then I haven't been on one since before Christmas.

Guest oncnp

From an article with Kevin O'Hare in the Evening Standard

'Next week, the 2021/22 season will also be announced, which will include a new three-acter by Wheeldon ' and "He confirms that Edward Watson, one of the Royal’s most loved principals, will get the chance to dance a series of farewell performances in Wayne McGregor’s postponed Dante Project next season. "

https://www.standard.co.uk/culture/dance/royal-ballet-boss-kevin-o-hare-diversity-gender-race-pandemic-b924340.html

I often pick up the Thameslink Cambridge line from completely the other end at Brighton. I’ve only been up to London twice ( last September and then December) since Pandemic and both times happened to be a Cambridge train. 
Often this train has 12 carriages which is great as plenty of room and both times hardly anybody on the train I had about two whole carriages to myself!! 
Of course this will start to change from June so more of a risk unless vaccinated.

As have friends in Cambridge I have done the whole run from Brighton but it’s a long time on the train and they are not THAT comfortable for longer journeys!! On the newer trains nowhere  even to put a cup of tea/coffee except on the floor 🙄 

As per usual people designing for transport they never use!! 
Looking forward to hearing what’s on offer at ROH both later on in the summer and next Autumn and looking forward to the Dante Project. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capybara said:

I have had a response from the ROH to the effect that this event has had to be postponed until the summer.

Thank you so much for finding out.  

I was quite excited for this and noticed the relevant young dancers had gone quiet about it on social media.  You’d think the ROH would make a short statement ....  I won’t be the only one interested and waiting.  It doesn’t need to be revealing of whatever the reason is either.  It would be sufficient to say ...

”we regret to inform, that this event has been postponed until later this year.”

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FionaE said:

Thank you so much for finding out.  

I was quite excited for this and noticed the relevant young dancers had gone quiet about it on social media.  You’d think the ROH would make a short statement ....  I won’t be the only one interested and waiting.  It doesn’t need to be revealing of whatever the reason is either.  It would be sufficient to say ...

”we regret to inform, that this event has been postponed until later this year.”

Exactly - especially when they were sending out another ad. for The Dream today.

I don't think that the sections of the ROH which communicate with the Friends/Patrons/Public always see things sufficiently from the point of view of the supporters.

• Like 8

An email from the Friends of RBS indicates this about School performances. They

" will be at the Royal Opera House, both on the main stage for the Matinee on Saturday 10 July and also in their Linbury Theatre, from 23-26 June with further performances in the Upper School and at White Lodge."

"Only the Upper School will perform at the Royal Opera House while White Lodge will perform in their own Margot Fonteyn Theatre, though this will just be for their families."

Tickets will be very limited (socially distanced seating). 

Guest oncnp

Director of operations at the ROH  Heather Walker quoted in The Stage (paywall, limited access with registration)  saying some restrictions may remain in place even after the government restrictions are reduced including  timed entry, temperature checks and one-way systems. Happily for the Telegraph's critic the bars will be open during intervals, initially only with table service ( indicating intervals will be back as well, unlike Sadler's Wells). Digital tickets and cast lists will probably remain for some time.  

Edited by oncnp

Does anyone know when booking opens for the General Public for performances in May/June/July I can’t see any info on the website. 
Also can’t see any dates for any particular performances everything seems a bit vague but they say they are opening on May 17th so it’s less than six weeks away 🤔

Guest oncnp
7 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Does anyone know when booking opens for the General Public for performances in May/June/July I can’t see any info on the website. 
Also can’t see any dates for any particular performances everything seems a bit vague but they say they are opening on May 17th so it’s less than six weeks away 🤔

Program will be announced next week I think with booking dates

Guest oncnp
14 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thankyou oncnp I just couldn’t find the info! 

'Becasue I don't think it's there. I just vaguely remember April 13 as being the date that Spring performaces will be announceced. 

Guest oncnp
39 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Thankyou oncnp I just couldn’t find the info! 

Yes - 13 April according to the ROH news of 10 March (listed under Opera). 

I do hope there is going to be something more substantial, other than the 2 x Pite Ballets & ‘Golden Hour’ announced for 17 May onwards.   It’s an awfully long time until the full new season in October.  For dancers and audience!

It would such a waste of the dancers if the RB doesn’t perform longer into the summer too.  In place of taking the usual most of July, all of August and into September break.  I imagine everyone is fed up of not performing.  And there presumably won’t be any visiting international companies either this summer. 

And imagine the waste if at least some of the summer is not utilised and (god forbid) new restrictions get imposed next Autumn/Winter.  That would be too awful for all.  

Edited by FionaE
Typo
  • Like 6

Guest oncnp
1 hour ago, FionaE said:

It’s an awfully long time until the full new season in October.

The last ROH e-mail said the Autumn season will start in September this year.

As a 'follower' of many RB dancers on Instagram, I think that I am picking up hints that the summer programme might have three different programmes and, if so, surely they will announce them (hopefully with casting) on the 13th April.

It was confirmed yesterday that Royal Ballet dancers will again feature in a gala at Athelhampton House -11th and 12th September.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

As a 'follower' of many RB dancers on Instagram, I think that I am picking up hints that the summer programme might have three different programmes and, if so, surely they will announce them (hopefully with casting) on the 13th April.

It was confirmed yesterday that Royal Ballet dancers will again feature in a gala at Athelhampton House -11th and 12th September.

Thank you !  Never quite sure at the moment if what the dancers are playing about with is their personal wish list or something for the stage.  I’ve seen Valentino Zucchetti is choreographing something ... but that could be for Draft Works in the Linbury.

As for casting ... whilst that info would be nice, I’m so starved of the live experience I don’t really mind!!!

I’m following Athelhampton on IG with interest .... hoping the cheap seats are still affordable 😉

Didn't the announcement from the ROH mention three ballet programmes for the spring / summer season? With Petipa mentioned for one of them.

The draft works was also announced to be streamed in early May. So they could be rehearsing a wide range of things at the moment.

23 minutes ago, DanJL said:

Didn't the announcement from the ROH mention three ballet programmes for the spring / summer season? With Petipa mentioned for one of them.

It did.  From the 10 March announcement: 

The Royal Ballet is thrilled to return to live performances with three programmes of works ranging from Crystal Pite to Marius Petipa. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, prs59 said:

Frustrating not to know the dates yet of RB performances as ENB and NBT are now onsale at Sadlers Wells. 

I think all is being revealed this Tuesday about the summer concerts.