The Royal Ballet’s Spring and Summer programmes 2021

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kevin O'Hare came out to explain that a number of dancers were having to self-isolate and that adjustments had been necessary for Anemoi and fewer guests than usual would be attending Aurora's wedding.

The audience would not have realised so kudos to those who had to adapt to the circumstances.

Feeling so sorry for the dancers affected............

• Like 8

And they appeared to have been doing so well, bubble-wise (as far as we could tell :( )  What a shame.  I suppose it's too much to hope for that the self-isolation started some time ago, and so is nearly at an end?  BTW, what are the current self-isolation rules?  Is it still 10 days, or is it now less if you take a test which proves negative?

Guest oncnp
12 minutes ago, alison said:

And they appeared to have been doing so well, bubble-wise (as far as we could tell :( )  What a shame.  I suppose it's too much to hope for that the self-isolation started some time ago, and so is nearly at an end?  BTW, what are the current self-isolation rules?  Is it still 10 days, or is it now less if you take a test which proves negative?

You usually have to self-isolate for 10 full days if you've tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) or have been in close contact with someone who has it.

You might need to self-isolate for longer if you get symptoms or your symptoms do not go away.

How long to self-isolate - Coronavirus (COVID-19) - NHS (www.nhs.uk)

1 hour ago, Raven said:

So sorry to hear this, I hope everyone's alright. By the way I've always heard that bubble thing, what is that exactly?

In terms of dance companies, casts would bubble together and not mix with other bubbles.  If one bubble has to self-isolate the others would not be affected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

In terms of dance companies, casts would bubble together and not mix with other bubbles.  If one bubble has to self-isolate the others would not be affected.

Thank you for the explanation

17 hours ago, alison said:

And they appeared to have been doing so well, bubble-wise (as far as we could tell :( )  What a shame.  I suppose it's too much to hope for that the self-isolation started some time ago, and so is nearly at an end?  BTW, what are the current self-isolation rules? 

I felt that Kevin was implying that the issue arose on Friday (25th) but I might have misheard him as the reproduction wasn't great where I was sitting. He certainly said that the adaptations to Anemoi had needed to be last-minute ones.

• Like 1

Guest oncnp
1 minute ago, capybara said:

I felt that Kevin was implying that the issue arose on Friday (25th) but I might have misheard him as the reproduction wasn't great where I was sitting. He certainly said that the adaptations to Anemoi had needed to be last-minute ones.

That would make sense as they test on Tues and Fri, if I recall.

5 hours ago, capybara said:

There were very late changes to the General Rehearsal (11:30 on Friday) casting for Anemoi and for Sleeping Beauty just the divertissements were rehearsed. I think the casting was only available just before curtain up so I guess most of the audience scanned the cast sheet during the first interval - I certainly did. Doors to the auditorium were opened about 11:25.

Just received from ROH:

“We are sad to announce that The Royal Ballet's Summer Draft Works on 1–3 July is unfortunately unable to go ahead at this time due to a number of dancers having to self-isolate.

Summer Draft Works will now be postponed until next Season and all tickets will be refunded.”

Edited by Bluebird

Guest oncnp

Cast changes for tonight

Royal Opera House

Anemoi
Cast Change

Conducted by Koen Kessels

Cast

Divertissements
Cast Change

Conducted by Koen Kessels

Cast

Edited by oncnp

9 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I do wish they would say if a dancer is injured or isolating.   Injury however minor will be longer away from the stage.  

Isn't it up to each dancer to tell us this? If it were me I'd be happy to tell people, but I don't think I'd want my employer to have that right.

• Like 3

Ah elsewhere it says Valentino had a minor accident with his bike and had been advised to rest … which presumably necessitated the domino effect seen in the casting change.  

Good to know it is only one person affected and that it is likely very minor. 

23 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I do wish they would say if a dancer is injured or isolating.   Injury however minor will be longer away from the stage.  

I think that Taisuke Nakao is telling everyone about the situation on his Instagram posts.

2 minutes ago, FionaE said:

Ah elsewhere it says Valentino had a minor accident with his bike and had been advised to rest … which presumably necessitated the domino effect seen in the casting change.  

Kevin O'Hare explained the 'knock on' effect of Valentino's accident in his 'front of curtain' announcement on Friday. He always comes out if a Principal's appearance is affected - in this case two (plus two 'about-to-bes').

13 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Isn't it up to each dancer to tell us this? If it were me I'd be happy to tell people, but I don't think I'd want my employer to have that right.

I disagree.  This is a physical art form … 

So physical events are entirely relevant. Footballers tell the public through their employers.  

If there is a personal reason for not performing (Eg early stages of pregnancy say) then the dancer/employer can say ill until they are ready to share that info.

3 minutes ago, FionaE said:

I disagree.  This is a physical art form … 

So physical events are entirely relevant. Footballers tell the public through their employers.  

If there is a personal reason for not performing (Eg early stages of pregnancy say) then the dancer/employer can say ill until they are ready to share that info.

Employment law says otherwise.  My employer has no right to disclose anything about my personal circumstances without my consent.

• Like 5

Just now, bangorballetboy said:

Employment law says otherwise.  My employer has no right to disclose anything about my personal circumstances without my consent.

This is not about legal contracts.   It’s about public openness.  

8 minutes ago, FionaE said:

This is not about legal contracts.   It’s about public openness.  

That is a novel bit of reasoning.

3 minutes ago, FionaE said:

And in any event in this case there has been total openness from KoH and Valentino (presumably they agreed what would be said) and also personally from Taisuke.  

Glad they all agree with me!

I'm glad they were happy to share this information, but it doesn't mean that we have a moral or a legal right to it.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

That is a novel bit of reasoning.

I'm glad they were happy to share this information, but it doesn't mean that we have a moral or a legal right to it.

why do you think professional athletes, tennis players, cyclists, Footballers, etc  share the information but dancers shouldn’t? 

Edited by FionaE
Typo

I rather think that you can't make that sort of blanket statement about professional sportspeople.  I'm aware of plenty who haven't - or who have at the very least understated the situation, and may even have been "economical with the truth" on occasions.

• Like 5