Tring and Hammond Auditions

theballerinapointe

Hi Tomuchtallent

I tried to post earlier to answer your earlier question unfortunately for some reason it wouldn't post.

I listed every performance opportunity a yr7 would usually get at Hammond.

Yes the dance students do get bigger roles and it is all done by audition.....it was my DD's audition today for Phantom so fingers are tightly crossed.

In the yearly production the yr7 & 8's join together to do a number from a west end show.......last year it was a medley from Matilda it was fabulous.

I echo Justamum Mr Williams and the music staff are all amazing ,enthusiastic teachers who bring out the very best in my DD's.They have lots of singing as well as private lessons they have junior choir.

If your DD loves both dancing and singing The Hammond is worth serious consideration.

Edited by HAIRBELLES

Is your dd in year 9 now hairbelles. I have it on very good authority the year 9s are fab singers.

The Matilda excerpts were fab I agree.

Dd is currently learning quiet which she will sing in a charity concert at Xmas.

Dd so wishes her dance was a bit stronger but we have to look at what might be- not at what wont be.

This musical is just for lower school years 9-11. The upper school do a separate Musical in the summer.

Last year it was cabaret and was the MT students but I don't know with the change in how the course is structured how it will work next year

I could be wrong, I'm sure my DD said it is also MT 2's. :wacko:

Yes I remember quite a few upper school students having major roles in Les Mis, In fact I think only a few lower school students got main parts but did make up the majority of the cast.

All in all it was spectacular.

Can't wait for the next one.

Jx

I can confirm that the upper school are invited to audition for parts alongside all the lower school students.

My dd is auditioning for a dancing part (yes, all the children have to audition internally - even the seniors!) and although it is mainly for years 9 and above, there were a few opportunities in their last musical (Les Miz) for a few talented children from years 7 & 8.

In order to accomodate and showcase lots of talent, they usually offer some leading and lesser roles around to several different children so everyone gets a chance and parents can attend the performance/night their own child is doing their thing.

If Les Miz was anything to go by this will be a terrific performance....they really are a talented lot!

T

• Like 1

Letters for 26th auditions for Hammond are out! My dd has been offered a year nine place. I'm so excited to tell her, she's at dance at the moment so won't know until 5 o'clock! This was the school she was hoping for, so her dreams are about to come true :D

Edited by All4dancers
  • Like 13

Have you put any videos of your DD dancing on youtube? Just wondering so I can try to get and idea of the level of dance required of dancers who apply later than year seven :) If not can you give me an idea of the level of dance she does etc? E.g can she do fouette turns en pointe, 180 degree jetes, perfect middle splits etc :) Thanks xxx

Hi theballerinapointe, dd is intermediate level ballet and grade 6 modern. She is very flexible and can do splits to both sides and box splits, but has only been en pointe for about a year, so no fouettes en pointe yet! She said the ballet class for the audition lasted an hour and a half and was very basic, looking more at their technique than what they could do and the same with the modern class. I hope this helps.

Slightly off topic, just looked at the Hammond web site and it appears that there is no director of dance at the moment. So who is making the overall decisions regarding dance and auditions at the moment? The gallery photos look lovely and I was able to recognise a couple of children who have now grown up aw.

Fantastic news for you all and fingers crossed for DA DA awards. Good luck to everyone else who is awaiting their auditions. That's not a bad idea having senior teachers looking after certain areas of dance that is perhaps their speciality.