Tring and Hammond Auditions

theballerinapointe

Hello, theballerinapointe. I can't help with your question, but welcome to the forum. If you use the search facility there may be some threads already on the subject of auditions for post year 7 places, but if not I am sure someone will be able to help.

• Like 1

i auditioned for year 10 entry last year. Tring looked more at talent already where as hammond took potential more into consideration.i know 3 people got accepted into hammond foryear 10 and atleast 2 for tring not excatly how many for tring but qs i said atleast 2 it just depends in your abilty and potenial if they want you they will make space. any more questions hapoy to help :)

sorry the auditions were a basic ballet and jazz class for both plus solos. trings ballet was harder than hammonds. you need to be able to pick up things quite quickly. but dont worry to much i messed up my tring auidtion hurting my ankle 10 mintues in and then messing up all the center work but the teachers were lovley and helped you as much as they could. both ballet classes were bar work then just basic center work plus strechtes.

Hammond are assessing out starting this year. But I must also say that the current year 9 is very strong from what I have seen of them.

Others have tried to join this year group without success, and not sure if one or two did join this year group.

Class sizes seem to differ quite a bit, and the current year eleven is enormous, whilst year 10 is very small indeed.

Also you must consider the GCSE options at Vocational schools as they do not offer a great selection of subjects and the pupils normally only take a total of 8 GCSE's.

Best wishes to all auditioning.

Jx

In defense of vocational school accademics, considering my daughter only did half day accademics at Tring, she still came out with six As and three Bs. These subjects were pure accademic subjects eg sciences, maths etc. At Tring the accademics are excellent and the day seems to be very well balanced. Any vocational activities are NOT allowed to take place during accademics.

• Like 6

Yes, the assessments take place on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week and from the sounds if it the children are getting rather stressed. It's not a pleasant experience for them to go through!

Thanks for your comments regarding the standard of the year, Justamum, it's very nice to hear it from an unbiased parent!

I would like to point out that I did not , nor was it my intention to judge the quality of the teaching at any of the schools.

So really there was no need to defend Tring as they were not accused.

I was making the point that at Vocational School, pupils did not have the choice of subjects that would be on offer at other mainstream schools.

J x

I know a very talented young dancer who actually left her vocational school for sixth form having been there since yr 7, despite getting a funded place into the sixth form, because of the limited range of A-levels on offer and the prospects later in her career. She carried on her dance training at her old dance school, went to a good sixth form and took 4 A levels, and is now at Laine.

• Like 2

I would like to point out that I did not , nor was it my intention to judge the quality of the teaching at any of the schools.

I was making the point that at Vocational School, pupils did not have the choice of subjects that would be on offer at other mainstream schools.

J x

You are right regarding the choice of subjects, Justamum. Dd decided not to audition for a year 10 place at Vocational school as she wants to take her GCSEs at her current school, including Russian. Her plan at the moment is to take 12!

J x

Hi, no, I wasn't rushing to their defence or anything like that! :) It's just that someone mentioned the league tables to me the other day, and I though people might be interested in the information

• Like 1

Yes, the assessments take place on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week and from the sounds if it the children are getting rather stressed. It's not a pleasant experience for them to go through!

Thanks for your comments regarding the standard of the year, Justamum, it's very nice to hear it from an unbiased parent!

Wow, sorry .... playing dum here ... lol :lol: - I didnt realise Hammond didn't Asses Out ..... Not having my DD there i wasnt any the wiser .... If it is happening now I think it is rather early ..... they only started in Sept bless them :blink::unsure: x

Hi justamum, I know you were not having a go at any of the teaching at any vocational schools and I only mentioned Tring, because that is where my daughter used to go. I must say though at Tring they do actually cover an awful lot of subjects, which was one of the reasons why my husband was happy for our daughter to go there.

Tring do not assess out, but they can reccomend a student to move accross to the musical theatre side of things. It has also been known for MDS funding to be removed from a student who may not be progressing as well as was hoped.

• Like 1

Hoobydigger, Hammond has put in place a more structured way of assessing out than it has in the past.

It is the year 9's, as mentioned earlier in the thread, that are being considered most carefully for assessing out. They've been there considerably longer than since September in most cases!

• Like 1

Hi Tulip.

If someone moves from Classical over to Musical theatre at Tring, and they can't afford the funding if the MDS is taken away, then surely that's just another way of saying nicely that they were assessed out?

Sorry if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

As I say, it's very new so I'm sure not many people do know. But I've said on another thread that I don't believe that students will be assessed out often. I personally think that the school is putting in place a mechanism which they can use if ever needed for (extreme?) cases.

I hope your friend's daughter had a good day! Four new children - 2 girls, 2 boys - started year 9 this year. They were additional to those already there (my own daughter started last year in year 8 having moved from Tring) and weren't replacing leavers. One boy left during the course of year 8 but I believe he was the only one.

Edited by Regattah
  • Like 1

My dd auditioned for the Hammond today and also felt it went very well. They were very open about assessing out in yr9. They also said they didn't have a specific number in mind for each year group and although the girls boarding house is very full, they would fit people in if they were allocated a place.

Wow, sorry .... playing dum here ... lol :lol: - I didnt realise Hammond didn't Asses Out ..... Not having my DD there i wasnt any the wiser .... If it is happening now I think it is rather early ..... they only started in Sept bless them :blink::unsure: x

Yes the assessments this year are early,they usually take place around february,the children then put on a performance entitled Work in Progress.Every two years The Hammond stage a full scale MT show involving yrs9-11 and apparently this is why it has been brouight forward.

I agree year 9 is a very strong year......Hammond have always assessed the children but not as rigourous as RBS or Elmhurst and for the first time yr11 are being assessed.I presume for their suitability to carry on into Upper School.

Although it was around 6 yrs ago when we visited Tring my husband was very impressed with their attitude to the academic side of the school.

I firmly believe my elder DD will achieve better results than she would have done at our local school. I know the education at vocational school comes at a price and some of my friends would expect my DD's to finish with a fistfull of qualifications because they've been to "private" school but as I tell them it is an independent education where the children are selected for their talent in dancing and not academic excellence.

Wow spannerandpony Russian! That could be more useful than french or conversational spanish.....as ever my ballet brain thought process The Bolshoi perhaps ;)

• Like 2

When my DD joined Hammond 4 1/2 years ago they had the best academic results from the 4 vocational schools, and this did sway me at the time when looking for places at the schools.

But this I suppose will change year on year depending on the ability of the pupils.

Russian ! Wow !

Jx

• Like 2