Alina Cojocaru news

ENB announce today:

"Today, we say goodbye to Alina Cojocaru, who is leaving our Company after over 7 years with us. It has been a privilege to have an artist of Alina’s calibre as part of the English National Ballet family. We are so thankful for her immense contribution and dazzling performances. We hope to welcome her back as a guest in the future. Thank you, Alina!"

• Like 5

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was announced in the Winter Update a couple of months ago but I think she deserves her own thread, assuming this is her last day.

Very best wishes to Alina Cojocaru for the future and whatever plans she has.

Although not a regular at ROH I first saw her as Titania in The Dream when she was about 19, just before she was promoted to principal.  She has been one of the very brightest stars in the British ballet firmament during her whole career.

Don't forget that she is Manon in the ENB on demand recording available from today.  

• Like 9

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Alina Cojocaru leaves ENB
1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

It was announced in the Winter Update a couple of months ago but I think she deserves her own thread, assuming this is her last day.

Don't forget that she is Manon in the ENB on demand recording available from today.  

That's probably why it was flashed up again then (the Manon stream).

Is she retiring ...just having a breather ...or going on to somewhere else? 
she is a great dancer and ENB did say she would guest with them so can still see her dance again. 
perhaps is going to be a guest artist so can control more how many performances to commit to as although still delightful and has a lot to offer still she must be nearing her 40’s? It’s harder to stay at top of ones game from 40’s onwards. 

38 minutes ago, Peony said:

I just googled and couldn’t find any mention of an arrival, congratulations to them both!

On Alina’s (public) Instagram account there is a lovely little video of her daughter Chulpan meeting the new arrival; a baby girl called Ella Armelle.  Pretty name. 

• Like 7

I’m not on Twitter or Instagram so miss quite a lot of such info which you often have to be “following” the person to see anyway! If it was on the Forum earlier  I must have missed it 😢 

Talking of babies apparently Lauren Cuthbertson has also had a baby girl (Peggy) born on Dec 29th

Has this been mentioned on the Forum? 
I seem to keep missing things at the moment 🙄 

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

Talking of babies apparently Lauren Cuthbertson has also had a baby girl (Peggy) born on Dec 29th

Has this been mentioned on the Forum? 
I seem to keep missing things at the moment 🙄 

Yes it has been mentioned as has the birth of Daria & Tyrone (BRB)' son.

• Like 3

Alina is still a guest principal at Hamburg, and now a potential guest at ENB.

She was expecting to be back on stage at least by May this year, as she was due to perform Juliet in Johan’s R&J opposite Sergei Polunin at the Albert Hall on 6th May 2021.  Her second child was born in November/December last year.  (Good timing 😉)

With the recent announcement that theatres cannot reopen until 17th May, presumably R&J will be rescheduled (again).   With 90% of the 5000+ tickets sold, will they have to reschedule to a time when they can have a full audience?  Do we even know when that might be?

I also note that Hamburg’s The Glass Menagerie was scheduled for June 2021 and ENB Akram Khan Giselle for September 2021. As the original lead in both these ballets, I would think it’s likely Alina could be performing them when they are on.

• 3 months later...

for those who are starting mssing her, Alina Cojocaru will dance Giselle opposite Timofej Andrijashenko (Teatro alla Scala) in Palermo (Sicily) on the 29th and 30th of July.

The event is part of the summer season of the teatro massimo, held in the open air Teatro di Verdura.

Tickets on sale (as single seat, double  or triple in order to keep social distancing) from today on Ticketone (with an amzing top price of 30 euros!)

https://www.ticketone.it/en/city/palermo-223/teatro-58/balletto-classico-e-moderno-1070/

The theatre Summer season inludes also a ballet gala (Italian dancers for paris Opera) on the 1st of August, and alos operas and concets in vaious dates

Who is coming? 😉

• Like 1

@annamicro
thank you so much for this news!  What a super partnership this would be.  Would love to see it!     

Leisure travel seems unlikely at the moment for 🇬🇧 even if fully vaccinated.  Sadly.  

I will share this super news with the Alina Cojocaru Fans Facebook group.  Anyone is welcome to join it.  

• 3 months later...

Alina is due to perform in John Neumeier’s The Glass Menagerie with Hamburg Ballet … starting next week …on 3, 6, 11 and 14 November.  Alina created the lead role of Laura Rose Wingfield in this version of Tennessee Williams’ memory play.  

Principal Hélène Bouchet debuts in the lead role on the other dates in this run, namely 10 and 20 November.  It was previously announced that Hélène is retiring and will give her farewell performance in December 2021.

A video clip was posted earlier this week on an Instagram story by one of the Hamburg dancers, showing Alina rehearsing with Hamburg principal Christopher Evans.  🤞 she seems to be recovered from injury.

Photos of Alina from the first run in December 2019

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVf-50Lqn53/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CViY1nGq23O/?utm_medium=copy_link

Lots more info, photos and videos here

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/event.php?AuffNr=176502

There appear to be plenty of tickets available (same link), perhaps because German states have only recently reverted to 100% audiences.

Edited by FionaE
Add information on tickets
  • Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Alina Cojocaru news
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Alina will be performing the lead role of Julie created for her by John Neumeier in ‘Liliom’ with Hamburg Ballet on 20, 24, 27 February.

Photos of rehearsals at Hamburg Ballet social media and website.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ9you_qrIR/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/event.php?AuffNr=176539

There are tickets available and it’s easy to fly there.  3x vaccination means no quarantine or tests either way.  I’m going 😉

• Like 5

On 16/02/2022 at 23:18, FionaE said:

Alina will be performing the lead role of Julie created for her by John Neumeier in ‘Liliom’ with Hamburg Ballet on 20, 24, 27 February.

Photos of rehearsals at Hamburg Ballet social media and website.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZ9you_qrIR/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.hamburgballett.de/en/schedule/event.php?AuffNr=176539

There are tickets available and it’s easy to fly there.  3x vaccination means no quarantine or tests either way.  I’m going 😉

Very jealous Fiona. I have always found it very difficult to find out where Alina is going to perform and its rather late now for me to try and get there! 

• Like 2