What are you particularly looking forward to?

We stagger through the desert…. An occasional oasis appears, enough to sustain us for the next part of our journey; dessicated and half starved, we trudge on.  Some of our companions flounder, weaken, die.  News comes of other travellers expiring.  However on the horizon we can see the glimmer of a theatre curtain. We feel sure it is not a mirage. A surge of hope floods our weakened frames.  Yes, the opera houses and theatres will open again!

What are you most looking forward to, post-covid?  Will you continue to watch more on-line, thankful not to travel and pay large sums for obstructed seats?  Do you have a particular performer or ballet that you are particularly looking forward to?  Do you have any actual tickets booked?

I have only one performance booked – Polunin’s Romeo and Juliet at the Royal Albert Hall on 6 May – it seemed a long while ahead at the time but now I fear it will be postponed again, or cancelled.

What I long for: any live ballet performance, really!  On these shores would love to see Muntagirov, Hayward, Hirata/Morales, Christopher Harrison, Cojocaru, Nuñez, Osipova, Lukas BB, Reece Clark and many others! And long to eventually catch up with my cancelled tickets for Danish Royal Ballet (Et Folkesagn) and Paris Opera Ballet.

Whatever the first performance I see I fear I might burst into tears at the very joy of being amongst the live audience once again.

bcf.jpg

• Like 6

Mary Rose:  Much as I would like to see something live again, what I'm really looking forward to is the first occasion, wherever and whenever it may be, on which the Cambridge Philharmonic chorus can join with our tremendous orchestra in a performance of almost anything at all.  We managed to get in a terrific Beethoven/Mozart night just a week before the first Lockdown in March last year.  In my head I imagine the opening page of Handel's Zadok the Priest, with its tension building till the chorus enters fully fff and, to finish, the Hallelujah chorus.  Between those, I don't mind at all what's programmed.

In Dance, something by Cathy Marston, please - with Serenade and Concerto would do just fine, thanks.

• Like 3

I was blessed to have gone everywhere on earth where I wished to go - bucket list completed by age 60!   My sincere hope is that the younger balletomanes will have the opportunity to do the same, if they wish (to travel freely & to experience live ballet on the world’s great stages)!

• Like 5

I think everyone has responded with things that I wish for.

In terms of ballet, I want to see our companies performing without restriction with full audiences cheering them on.

I really want to see Northern Ballet's Swan Lake and Geisha amongst others.  I want to see BRB's Cinderella and for them finally to be able to perform Don Quixote.  I want to see Scottish Ballet's The Scandal at Mayerling.  I want to see ENB's Raymonda.

I want to meet up with family and friends and eat out and drink out with them.

I want to be able to wander and browse around museums and shops.

I want to be able to travel in both the UK and abroad.

• Like 12

What I am particularly looking forward to is sitting back where I feel I belong (i.e. in the ROH) surrounded by an expectant audience (even if reduced in capacity) with the music playing and the curtain rising to reveal.................... (drum roll)............... one or more of my favourite dancers, quickly followed by the whole of the RB having the opportunity (somehow) to be back on stage.

And quickly followed again by ENB's Raymonda and all the other new fare from all the other companies which has been on the pause button for so long.

Can't wait - even if it has to be Triple Bills with ingredients I'm not normally keen on to begin with.

• Like 6

I long to see this forum once again buzzing with opinions and knowledgeable criticism of last night's performance...

As an aside, I also long to be able to visit my in-laws - I don't actually want to see them, I just want the choice! 

• Like 6

On 28/02/2021 at 11:08, Jeannette said:

I was blessed to have gone everywhere on earth where I wished to go - bucket list completed by age 60!   My sincere hope is that the younger balletomanes will have the opportunity to do the same, if they wish (to travel freely & to experience live ballet on the world’s great stages)!

So you've been to Georgia then?  What did you think?

On 27/02/2021 at 23:34, Ian Macmillan said:

Mary Rose:  Much as I would like to see something live again, what I'm really looking forward to is the first occasion, wherever and whenever it may be, on which the Cambridge Philharmonic chorus can join with our tremendous orchestra in a performance of almost anything at all.  We managed to get in a terrific Beethoven/Mozart night just a week before the first Lockdown in March last year.  In my head I imagine the opening page of Handel's Zadok the Priest, with its tension building till the chorus enters fully fff and, to finish, the Hallelujah chorus.  Between those, I don't mind at all what's programmed.

In Dance, something by Cathy Marston, please - with Serenade and Concerto would do just fine, thanks.

No Cathy Marston for me, thank you :D

On 28/02/2021 at 12:08, Odyssey said:

To see dancers being able to return to their companies and begin rehearsing for performances with full casts and without bubbles, allowing them to release their creative selves and continue developing their relatively short performing careers. 

Yes, yes, and yes!  The dancers have given so much - how must they feel?  I empathise with those at the end of their careers, probably truncated with a horrible and unexpected brutality; and with those who were just developing their full potential, who are now put 'on hold' instead of taking the expected step up; and all of those in between.  Not to mention the non-dancers....

On 28/02/2021 at 14:57, capybara said:

What I am particularly looking forward to is sitting back where I feel I belong (i.e. in the ROH) surrounded by an expectant audience (even if reduced in capacity) with the music playing and the curtain rising to reveal.................... (drum roll)...............

Me too, me too!  That ineluctable feeling of joyful anticipation....

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 14:46, Jan McNulty said:

I really want to see Northern Ballet's Swan Lake and Geisha amongst others.  I want to see BRB's Cinderella and for them finally to be able to perform Don Quixote.  I want to see Scottish Ballet's The Scandal at Mayerling.  I want to see ENB's Raymonda.

Geisha was one of the performances for which I had tickets (in Sheffield) :(  Was so looking forward to it!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

So you've been to Georgia then?  What did you think?

Hi. I was there in ‘08, in the context of my int’l relief work. Wondrously beautiful country! Alas, the big ballet venue in Tbilisi was closed during that period but I’ve had the opportunity to see the main ballet (which Nina A. directs - Lali Kandelaki extraordinary ballerina) and folk (Sukhishvili) troupes on tours elsewhere; love them both! Wow! 😃 

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1