Northern Ballet Academy Leeds - CAT scheme

BusyDancemum

1 hour ago, CRH said:

does anyone know how many dancers they put on the reserve lists or each age group?

No idea, but when my DD was a reserve for IF 4 years ago a place did come up. This year I believe all current associates have been given a place for next year. I can understand why - telling a student they haven't met the grade after all the restrictions of dancing under lockdown would be really harsh. But like last year, this means new places are probably quite limited.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Streetdancer said:

No idea, but when my DD was a reserve for IF 4 years ago a place did come up. This year I believe all current associates have been given a place for next year. I can understand why - telling a student they haven't met the grade after all the restrictions of dancing under lockdown would be really harsh. But like last year, this means new places are probably quite limited.

Hi - thanks for that. Yes it would be harsh to drop current dancers when they have not had chance to attend due to Covid. It's just a waiting game then to see if an elusive place comes up ! x

Hi all - newbie here! Just had much unexpected offer for CAT and now trying to process what's involved! Would be great to hear from anyone who's been through it and survived it as a family!!  DD 10 -she's absolutely delighted and is really up for the commitment, but I think a bit shellshocked

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jc123 said:

Hi all - newbie here! Just had much unexpected offer for CAT and now trying to process what's involved! Would be great to hear from anyone who's been through it and survived it as a family!!  DD 10 -she's absolutely delighted and is really up for the commitment, but I think a bit shellshocked

I don’t know a massive amount but they have been so incredibly supportive of my DS and fun and also very organised so you know way in advance any changes. They don’t do last minute rehearsals or anything. They are also very supportive of school and understand sometimes work must come first. My advice is give it a go and see, you aren’t signed up for life, if it’s not working for you then you can think about it then xxx

2 hours ago, Jc123 said:

Hi

I have two children on the CAT scheme , one who is 10 , it’s hard as they are different ages and I have other children as well! Expect lots of sitting in the car park and hanging around but it’s worth it, it’s a fantastic scheme! 
Feel free to inbox me if you want anymore questions answered 🙂

Hi ..I am also new to this forum. Just would like to ask if anybody's child attends / will attend CAT but not the JA? My DD was offered both....and I am thinking if it would not be too much for her....on the top of her current dance school. 

45 minutes ago, Kat said:

Hi ..I am also new to this forum. Just would like to ask if anybody's child attends / will attend CAT but not the JA? My DD was offered both....and I am thinking if it would not be too much for her....on the top of her current dance school. 

Hi Kat, my dd is in her 4th year of CAT and the children aren't allowed to attend both CAT & associates, the reason being it will be too much for them.

The CAT hours are reduced at the moment but usually by level 2 they will be doing about 10+ hours a week.

Hope that helps.

10 minutes ago, dancingmuppet said:

Hi Kat, my dd is in her 4th year of CAT and the children aren't allowed to attend both CAT & associates, the reason being it will be too much for them.

The CAT hours are reduced at the moment but usually by level 2 they will be doing about 10+ hours a week.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. It helped a lot. 

4 hours ago, Balletmum08 said:

Hi does anyone have any ideas how many they put on the reserve list? And how many places are in each year group, as I seen a earlier comment that all existing associates places were honoured & they didn't have to re audition.

Actually, all existing associates were formally assessed this weekend, as they are every year. Offers went out at the same time as new place offers. Not all students will have been "moved up" as it were, but my understanding is that everyone has been offered a place somewhere.

There are approx 30 in a class in normal times - at least for IF, Intermediate and Senior. We have no experience of JA. 

31 minutes ago, Streetdancer said:

Actually, all existing associates were formally assessed this weekend, as they are every year. Offers went out at the same time as new place offers. Not all students will have been "moved up" as it were, but my understanding is that everyone has been offered a place somewhere.

There are approx 30 in a class in normal times - at least for IF, Intermediate and Senior. We have no experience of JA. 

So no one was assessed out?  So there wouldn't have been many spaces for new students? 

Edited by Balletmum08

4 hours ago, Kat said:

CAT  is  Vocational Lower School training and should be  viewed in that  way ( a teacher friend's eldest  DD  is a CAT dancer), i'm not sure what the rules are about  still dancing with current dance school,

8 hours ago, Balletmum08 said:

So no one was assessed out?  So there wouldn't have been many spaces for new students? 

That's what I understood from the email we had. Of course, students may have left during the year, or will be going elsewhere in September so there will always be some spaces.

12 hours ago, Balletmum08 said:

My daughter was a JA at Northern last year  and nearly half her class of 15 dropped out. Not sure why, I can only assume they didn’t get on with Zoom classes. 
All associates were offered a place again with some like my DD going into the next level up and others staying at the same level. 
I imagine there would be some associate places available due to people dropping out or moving into CAT or vocational school. 
I also know of a child who has turned down CAT to go to vocational school and there may be more.

Fingers crossed for all those waiting for a place x

• Like 1

I think it’s great that they have thought of the children who have been on zoom , to give them the opportunity . 
my DD enjoyed every min of her audition and is over the moon to be a reserve who knows fingers crossed 🤞, or next year . 

2 hours ago, BalletNorth said:

Also new to the forum. My DD has been offered places on both CAT and associate programme. For those with children already on the CAT am I right in thinking they can still dance with their local dance schools? 

Hi, well done to your dd. Yes they can stay at their local dance school unless doing both gets too much.

On 29/04/2021 at 12:36, BalletNorth said:

Also new to the forum. My DD has been offered places on both CAT and associate programme. For those with children already on the CAT am I right in thinking they can still dance with their local dance schools? 

Hi

My daughter is on the CAT programme level one and still dances at her dance school, as they get older though the hours become more intense , my eldest daughter is also on the scheme and only does a couple of hours now with her local dance school . 

• Like 1

Difficult week here, reserves again. We’re not quite sure which direction to go in, but I’m suspecting it might be the end of the vocational route for us. There is a not-so-little bit of me who’ll be quite relieved to simplify things and return to simple Saturdays, and perhaps the return of some cash in the bank! There’s still the reserve list glimmer of hope, but I remain unconvinced that there will be much movement. 

Well done to all those children who gained places, it sounds like it was a very tough year so they’re well-deserved indeed!!!!! 

8 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

Difficult week here, reserves again. We’re not quite sure which direction to go in, but I’m suspecting it might be the end of the vocational route for us. There is a not-so-little bit of me who’ll be quite relieved to simplify things and return to simple Saturdays, and perhaps the return of some cash in the bank! There’s still the reserve list glimmer of hope, but I remain unconvinced that there will be much movement. 

Well done to all those children who gained places, it sounds like it was a very tough year so they’re well-deserved indeed!!!!! 

Have you considered Renaissance Scholars? They do fortnightly associate level classes in the Northern Ballet studios on Sundays and I believe applications are still open to audition for this September. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BlueLou said:

Have you considered Renaissance Scholars? They do fortnightly associate level classes in the Northern Ballet studios on Sundays and I believe applications are still open to audition for this September. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info. 

Highly recommend Renaissance Arts Scholars. 

• Like 3