Northern Ballet Academy Leeds - CAT scheme

BusyDancemum

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Please could someone tell me the difference between Northern Ballet Leeds and Northern Ballet Manchester? I know they are in different locations but are they the same Company or different Company’s with the same name?

Northern Ballet School in Manchester Has nothing at all  organisationally to  do with Northern Ballet (the Company) or  the Academy of the Northern Ballet  in Leeds,  that said  obviously there is some  cross pollination of teachers and  the like  as there are a  good number of  very good teachers who work  freelance   across  that M62 Corridor...

there is some  confusing because   Lavernen Meyer era  Northern Dance Theatre / Northern Ballet Theatre  ( i.e. the Company now based in Leeds) was based in Manchester...   at the time  the likes of Terence Etheridge was dancing with the company... 

NBS is  an interesting organisation  with the different emphasis /. streaming  available  within their course 

I do , personally, wonder  however, if the  Existence of NBS is one of the  reasons  ( along with the historical links  of NBT/NB  as a company  with Central  School of ballet via Chistopher Gable  and continued through a good number of Gable and Nixon era dancers   ( including Kenny Tindall )   is one of the reasons that AoNB  doesn;t  have  an 'upper school'  of it;s own despite having  a 'lower school' in  AoNB CAT   and the PGP   as well as  the Associates and the talent spotting 

Edited by NJH

13 hours ago, Balletbuds80 said:

Please could someone tell me the difference between Northern Ballet Leeds and Northern Ballet Manchester? I know they are in different locations but are they the same Company or different Company’s with the same name?

Northern Ballet is a company based in Leeds. It has an attached Academy which runs the UK's only CAT training programme in ballet and an Associates scheme. Training stops usually at 16/17 though there is a post-graduate course too. Training is in ballet and (after age 12) contemporary. Company and students share the same studios.

Northern Ballet School (rebranded NBS) is an upper school which starts its training at 16. Its name is largely historical I would say - it does have a classical ballet strand but also a (bigger I think) theatre dance strand. 

Hope that helps! 

31 minutes ago, Dancemumk8 said:

We got a not this time email but that’s ok. It was her first time trying so sure she will try again next year. Awaiting associates results by the end of May. Good luck everyone 

Were you expecting CAT results now or did they say end of May? Just wondering if we'll hear about associates earlier than they said?

1 hour ago, Balletmad78 said:

Were you expecting CAT results now or did they say end of May? Just wondering if we'll hear about associates earlier than they said?

No was expecting to not hear anything until end of May for both so was a surprise to get this today 

2 hours ago, Dancemumk8 said:

We got a not this time email but that’s ok. It was her first time trying so sure she will try again next year. Awaiting associates results by the end of May. Good luck everyone 

Loads of kids start in later years so she has plenty of time, well done to her for giving it her all xxx

1 hour ago, Balletmad78 said:

I was also surprised as thought it would be end of may and I only put down CAT so maybe associates are coming soon🤞

On 23/04/2021 at 12:01, NJH said:

Northern Ballet School in Manchester Has nothing at all  organisationally to  do with Northern Ballet (the Company) or  the Academy of the Northern Ballet  in Leeds,  that said  obviously there is some  cross pollination of teachers and  the like  as there are a  good number of  very good teachers who work  freelance   across  that M62 Corridor...

there is some  confusing because   Lavernen Meyer era  Northern Dance Theatre / Northern Ballet Theatre  ( i.e. the Company now based in Leeds) was based in Manchester...   at the time  the likes of Terence Etheridge was dancing with the company... 

NBS is  an interesting organisation  with the different emphasis /. streaming  available  within their course 

I do , personally, wonder  however, if the  Existence of NBS is one of the  reasons  ( along with the historical links  of NBT/NB  as a company  with Central  School of ballet via Chistopher Gable  and continued through a good number of Gable and Nixon era dancers   ( including Kenny Tindall )   is one of the reasons that AoNB  doesn;t  have  an 'upper school'  of it;s own despite having  a 'lower school' in  AoNB CAT   and the PGP   as well as  the Associates and the talent spotting 

Thank you for this. I did have a feeling they were two separate entities but wasn’t sure. 

On 23/04/2021 at 22:45, Streetdancer said:

Northern Ballet is a company based in Leeds. It has an attached Academy which runs the UK's only CAT training programme in ballet and an Associates scheme. Training stops usually at 16/17 though there is a post-graduate course too. Training is in ballet and (after age 12) contemporary. Company and students share the same studios.

Northern Ballet School (rebranded NBS) is an upper school which starts its training at 16. Its name is largely historical I would say - it does have a classical ballet strand but also a (bigger I think) theatre dance strand. 

Hope that helps! 

Yes it does! Thank you 

13 minutes ago, Mildred72 said:

Hi, has anyone else not heard anything from the CAT recall?

Thanks.

Oh no, that’s strange. Have you checked your junk? I would email Laura at northern if you haven’t heard anything as I’m sure they’d let everyone know at the same time xxx

27 minutes ago, Mumofmidge said:

Well done. Some of our friends haven’t had anything yet so I wonder if there’s an order. 

What year would you be in x

Well done to your dc too! Yr 6 JA, made reserve last year but with covid they didn't take anyone so will just have to wait and see I there is any movement this year. Proud of her either way 😊

5 minutes ago, Luna said:

Well done to your dc too! Yr 6 JA, made reserve last year but with covid they didn't take anyone so will just have to wait and see I there is any movement this year. Proud of her either way 😊

Oh well done! 

this is our first try for northern as it clashes so she’s never done it before.

she attends midlands associates with Shannon and Peter so this is a great thing x