Hammond finals 2021

Raquelle

38 minutes ago, valentina said:

Our experience would be that students share quite freely, within a year group, whether they are on a MDS or not. It might have been a sensitive subject for some but the students didn’t appear to see it that way. Some of those not on MDS were applying to re- audition for the award the following year, which was possible in some Vocational schools. Not sure if that still happens.

This was our experience too.

The Dc know exactly who is on an MDS/Dada and who has extra funding/support etc. 

On anonymity, the ballet world is small and Instagram etc makes it smaller as Dc put themselves out there. Personally I feel that the beauty of posting on here is that, for that reason, people can be identified and that gives some form of protection from nasty and unpleasant comments that are so rife in the internet/ballet world. 

My concern with silencing of parents from sharing their happy news is that this is the start of the vocational ballet journey of isolation. Personally this is how we felt. Afraid to talk to the school about issues, afraid to talk to other parents about concerns or problems 😢 On reflection we felt isolated and sad 😞 The ballet bubble has left a huge knot in our chests that won’t go away. This sadly, in my experience, is many parents and dcs experience. 
So congratulations to the yess 🎉 Shout it from the rooftops if you want too !! And a sorry for the nos 🤗 but you may have just had a lucky escape 😅

• Like 9

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of private schools ask people not to disclose any financial information, and many also say that they will never make your child aware of any bursary or discounts. I quite understand that having an MDA is like having a scholarship and as such should be celebrated. On the other hand parents who need financial assistance may not want their children to feel like second class citizens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flower said:

Plenty of private schools ask people not to disclose any financial information, and many also say that they will never make your child aware of any bursary or discounts. I quite understand that having an MDA is like having a scholarship and as such should be celebrated. On the other hand parents who need financial assistance may not want their children to feel like second class citizens. 

It's not really the same though is it.  It's more akin to having a means tested student loan.  It's a government funded scheme very unlike a bursary which is based on income alone.  The amount you get depends on your income but the actual allocation of awards is purely on merit.  None of the MDS funded music schools have restriction on people taking about MDS awards.  

• Like 2

It is possible this is not to do with keeping silent about if you have MDS or not at a future date, but something else entirely.. last year there was no problem about sharing, I can only presume that complaints have been made to the school this year, possibly unsuccessful applicants asking why they did not get when someone that danced with their child did and they are as good as each other... not saying that happened but I could see that as a reason to ask people not to talk about it at the moment. In my view the school is very open and funding has never been a taboo subject between pupils. 

• Like 3

We were asked by a couple of members to remove posts that related to the award of MDS.

Perhaps the school were unhappy that the information had been shared?  When I was in work, although pay scales were published, we were very much discouraged from telling people where we were on those scales.

The other thing to consider is that students may be identifiable from the details given.  The BalletCo Forum advises parents not to publish information that may result in their child being identified.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Jan McNulty said:

We were asked by a couple of members to remove posts that related to the award of MDS.

So those awarded MDSs from RBS, Elmhurst and Tring shouldn’t share their happy news on here either ? Or is it just Hammond ?

Knowing that the posters children may have also applied for the other schools the members may request that these are removed also. 
It’s sad because I quite like to hear parents and dc so happy at the beginning of their journey, remembering how it was for us in the early years ☺️

Edited by cotes du rhone !
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

My concern with silencing of parents from sharing their happy news is that this is the start of the vocational ballet journey of isolation.

Neither The Hammond nor RBS/Tring/Elmhurst appears to be “silencing” anyone here, and as I said previously, people are more than welcome to share their news of places being awarded.  That is completely different to discussing publicly, *on a Forum which is visible to the entire internet*, personal financial information and whether or not a particular child has been awarded financial assistance - no matter what form that assistance takes.  

Can we please return to the original topic now.

Many thanks.

• Like 2

But no one has discussed personal financial information.  If a school offers MDS GOVERNMENT funding then anyone should be free to say whether their child has been awarded one.  

My child got a Dada.  At Hammond.  The school can say or do what they like I said so at he time in my real name on social media and I will say so in the future.  I'd like to see them justify to the awarding body otherwise.

Is that because they havn't managed to email all applicants perhaps.  That is a slightly different situation if that is the case and one that was not made totally clear.  

I know I've been stalked on other forums before so the school have seen lots of things I've said, both good and bad.