Paris Opera Ballet School Summer Intensive

balletla

We have had three reminders from POB, my daughter does not break up until almost two weeks after the start date of the summer school. She doesn't want to ask the school for permission as it is her first year at this school and she wants to show her commitment. She would have loved to have gone to this summer school though. Good luck to your dancing children and let us all know how it went

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi afab,

my dd is 15, will be 16 by summer. She is just as keen to attend the RBS as POB. She has had many teachers from RB so it seems like 'the mother country' if you know what I mean :)

We live in the Hunter Valley, about 3 hours north of Sydney (1 1/4 hours from our ballet school). My husband and I lived in London for a year over 20yrs ago, so RBS is a comfortable option for us since we speak the language and know the tube system etc. My dd has been learning French for about 4 years but is definitely not fluent. The POB is currently in Sydney for Giselle and she took a masterclass last weekend with Isabelle Ciaravola (which was amazing of course!) and Isabelle kept reverting to French and my dd found it easy to figure out what she was saying. I emailed the POB to ask how much language they would need and the reply was that they all speak at least some English, so not to worry.

Can your dd's speak French?

Are you based in England?

All the best with your applications, I hope we do meet in the summer.

pastel

Gosh! Such a distance to your ballet school! Having said that, Australians have never been afraid of distances! Actually our oldest DD who's just turned 15 goes from Lille in the north of France to Paris every day to dance (250 kms and one hour on the train)!

Yes, our DDs speak fluent French and English, they have dual nationalities... we are based in France, I'm French and DH is British...

Have a nice day! Ours is finishing...

• Like 1

Gosh! Such a distance to your ballet school! Having said that, Australians have never been afraid of distances! Actually our oldest DD who's just turned 15 goes from Lille in the north of France to Paris every day to dance (250 kms and one hour on the train)!

Yes, our DDs speak fluent French and English, they have dual nationalities... we are based in France, I'm French and DH is British...

Have a nice day! Ours is finishing...

Wow, afab,

you have 3 daughters dancing! That must be a full time job for you with all the running around. My dd is at ballet school 6 days per week, so I find the driving exhausting, but at the moment we've chosen to stay on the farm because we love it here, we may move closer if it gets too much.

Trying NOT to be envious of your family with dual nationalities and living so close to all the action :)

• Like 1

My dd is at Ballet West. First year student and on tour already in the Nutcracker. Next year China. Summer school £500 aweek. Try it out.

My dd and I was in a car crash last year head on with a landrover, he was drunk. Messed her auditions and was going to audition again this year. Physio and teachers said about Ballet West and Gillian Barton auditioned her and she got in. Was going to come back this year and re audition for RBS, Central etc and decided not to as she loves it up there. Only school where you have a performance course run along side HND which will be BA Hons in 3rd year. When she finishes in3 years she will have 3years performance experience under her belt.

• Like 2

I wonder if anybody already applied for this course knows how many students will be in each class. How many sharing a room and also are the meals included. I would also like to know if the school pick the students up from the airport and if not how far the school is from the airport. I have already emailed the school with these questions but they have probably closed for the weekend.

Primrose, their website states 20 students max. a class.

It doesn't say anything about transfer from the airport but the school is on the RER line (fast tube) and so is the airport with a simple change of platform in Paris. Not too complicated for someone who's used to travelling like your daughter... On the other hand, I bet something is planned as ther will be, I guess, lots of foreign kids.

If you need something translated from the website, just ask!

• Like 2

My dd is at Ballet West. First year student and on tour already in the Nutcracker. Next year China. Summer school £500 aweek. Try it out.

My dd and I was in a car crash last year head on with a landrover, he was drunk. Messed her auditions and was going to audition again this year. Physio and teachers said about Ballet West and Gillian Barton auditioned her and she got in. Was going to come back this year and re audition for RBS, Central etc and decided not to as she loves it up there. Only school where you have a performance course run along side HND which will be BA Hons in 3rd year. When she finishes in3 years she will have 3years performance experience under her belt.

Hi Spax,

could you please post a link to the Ballet West website? I've googled it and there are several sites by that name in different locations around the world, not sure which one you mean.

My daughter would love to do a summer school which is performance orientated. There are no youth ballet companies anywhere near where we live.

We have applied for the RBS and POB summer schools. If she is accepted for one, we would like to fit in a second one to make better use of the airfares from Australia. The ideal situation would be to be accepted into both in the same year. We just couldn't turn down the opportunity of a place at one of the schools, hoping to be accepted into both next year or the year after.

thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, we received an email back on March 6th informing us that dd was accepted to the SI. We faxed back our payment info a few days ago. Has anyone received a packet or any other information other than an acceptance email?

I know this is a bit off topic but I wondered Afab how do you actually do a video for an overseas school? Do you hire a professional. Or do it yourself? Where do you do it? At school? In a studio? And how do you edit the less desirable bits? Any info appreciated.

I'm obviously not Afab, but the way we did ours involved two company members that teach my dd. They are very familiar with her strengths, not so strong areas, looked at what the various DVD auditions were looking for and designed a "class" around the requirements. We had a couple goes at somethings and others we just shot once. One dancer helped model those little reminders and the other shot video. I got the job of editing the pieces together and burning the DVD. This was a first for us also. We applied to three programs this way. Hope that helps...for next year. :-)

Afab, when did you get a response last year from RBS, did it really take until April or do they make offers to some and also wait list others? Thanks, much!

-balletAJ

Edited by balletAJ

Hsophika, 

I'm not afab either. Well it was our first go at putting together an audition dvd too. I googled "how to make a ballet audition dvd" and used the tips to put it together. The POB wanted a minimum of 2 exercises at the barre, 2 in the centre (front and side views) and add whatever else you like, no time limit. It was VERY rushed for us because we had just returned from 2 summer programs in Melbourne and Sydney and only had a few days to figure out what to do, buy a camera, shoot the film, edit and learn how to make a dvd. The most difficult part I found was that I couldn't get far enough back in the studio to make sure I didn't cut of my dd's hands or feet. 

Here is a link to youtube. 

This is not exactly what we posted to POB. I had to cut it down a little to upload to youtube so I deleted the text intro and thank-you at the end. My daughter introduced herself (in French) before dancing. I also deleted 2 of the barre exercises which were pretty much the same as the ones on there, but showed front or side. You may notice that the two little dance studies she does at the end are filmed from the long side of the studio and she is cut off a couple of times but the studio is not wide enough for her to have danced with the short end as 'front'.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Afab, when did you get a response last year from RBS, did it really take until April or do they make offers to some and also wait list others? Thanks, much!

-balletAJ

Obviously, I'm Afab...

Hi BalletAJ, last year was special in the UK because (or thanks to depending on how one saw things!) the Olympics so we had to apply before Dec 1st if I remember well and the answer came before Xmas.

Do you live abroad? If you do, the answers come by mail now. They used to send letters but they don't anymore... Ours got lost 2 years ago and it was stressful! I think UK residents still get letters but I'm not sure.

They send the no answers as a batch... We got 2 last year for DD1 and DD3 and DD2's friend got a no as well and they all got their mail at the same time. Then about one hour later, they must have sent the "yes" since DD2 got hers... That hour was very loooong! We didn't know if DD2 had been turned down like her sisters or had been forgotten...

Anyway to answer your initial question, I found the letter we eventually got 2 years ago and it was dated April 1st... It was a waiting list and it was sent at the same time as the yes or no answers and we had to answer rather quickly if we wanted to be placed on it or not. We did and were told we wouldn't hear from them until after May 23rd to let us know if a place became available. One can be called until the very first morning of the summer school... and they asked us regularly if we still wanted to stay on the waiting list... DD2 never got a place and I'm extremely thankful to Mrs Schon from Tring who offered her a place on the summer course 2 days before it started because she had been left with nothing...

The waiting game was horrible! Waiting for an answer is bad but waiting hoping for a place when you know it means some young girl has hurt herself is worse. One feels hopeful and bad at the same time!

Hope it helps!

Edited by afab
  • Like 1

Afab, thanks for the detailed answer re RBS experience. An email response for us is great, we will just have to watch the spam folder. It would be awful to miss a opportunity because of a can of processed meat got in the way !!!

Yes, we are abroad, in one of those big places just west of you guys, a continent to the left. :-) My dd is 14 and has attended SIs since the age of 11. We applied this summer to CNBS, RBS, & POB via DVD at the suggestion of the aforementioned 2 company members above. We thought the RBS & POB were rather long shots but for the $60 to ship the apps overseas we thought to give it a go. We were really surprised to get such a quick acceptance from POB and still question it. The email was a short "you got in" and then info on how to pay with an attachment giving them credit card authorization to charge us for the program. Parts of that, actually a lot of that, sounds like that email should be in the canned meat folder! Oddly, if it were a program state-side we probably wouldn't scrutinize it so much but we have not really heard of anyone else with yes answers. Phone & fax numbers match up and we have corresponded with the person listed in charge of the program via email with relatively prompt responses as most others have posted here and elsewhere.

Sorry to see you received a no but at least you know early. Thanks again for your RBS info, just as Pastel posted we would love to put together the dual SI experience. We have another EU program we are looking to piggyback with POB but RBS would be an excellent choice.

-balletAJ

I thought you were west of us as nobody here calls SS SI! ;)

Anyway the no answer from POB was really not quick at all. We got the official letter yesterday after you guys got your emails on the 5th and 6th of March! They sent all the yes emails and then went very happily off on holiday!! Of course, since kids who applied had friends who had applied as well, the word was out that emails were being sent... and the poor kids without answers were frantic... DD being one of them!

I rang them then and heard from the last person left in charge, the caretaker I suppose, that everybody in the office had gone away for 10 days!!!

My gaelic blood boiled over and I sent them a quite stern but not too disagreeable email (just in case!) and got an answer 4 days later that DD hadn't been accepted and that they had sent the yes by email and the nos would follow by letter. By letter!!! Double blood boiling! Some kids live in Australia and letters take ages to get there! I re-emailed them reminding them that we are talking kids here, some as young as 10, all waiting for what they consider the chance of a lifetime and maybe, maybe they could do what the RBS does which is answer everybody at the same time by mail... They answered very nicely I have to say that hopefully next year (?!), they would do things differently! So there is hope...

As for the question about DVD making that you answered for me (thank you as I was asleep and my answer would have been very similar to yours...), we also used the same one for 2 other programmes where DD was accepted. So it was a worthwhile investment!

Have a nice day!  :)

We had three schools in the states we auditioned for along with CNBS, RBS, as well as, POB. DD was accepted to all in the states & we have not heard from the Royal Ballet yet. We are considering a week or two at a school in Madrid to add to the POB 10 day program.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who's doing the POB summer programme - or who's just interested in the School - it celebrates its 300th anniversary with a Gala performance tonight, followed by its annual Spectacle on Wednesday and Thursday, then a gala with several other international ballet schools (including RBS) on Saturday. There's already nice coverage about the anniversary and the school online (do a Google News search on 'L’école de danse de l’Opéra de Paris'). Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to France, but if any of you will be there, I have details of good deals and coupons for use in the area, which you are welcome to use - Send me an email/PM.

The School's next public performances are the annual Demonstrations, which will take place on December 8th (Sun), December 15th (Sun) and December 21st (Sat), They give a wonderful insight into the system of training at the school. If anyone's interested, I hope to get group tickets when priority group booking starts in a few months.

Yaffa

We had three schools in the states we auditioned for along with CNBS, RBS, as well as, POB. DD was accepted to all in the states & we have not heard from the Royal Ballet yet. We are considering a week or two at a school in Madrid to add to the POB 10 day program.