Paris Opera Ballet School Summer Intensive

balletla

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem is most schools in England have not yet broken up for the summer.

As always! It's so frustrating that there are all these amazing summer schools out there, but always before our children have broken up. Lets start a campaign to have our summer holidays moved in line with the rest of world to start at the beginning of June so that we can fit all the American summer schools in as well! :)

• Like 2

I can't find the application form ha ha, a blond moment. I think my friends son would be very interested in this summer intensive. Where about is the application form Kitschqueen, I thought you had to send off for it?

There is a button on the left which says "download the application form".

• Like 1

When my DS went to an American summer school his English school was very understanding about him leaving early. So it's always worth applying and then once you have a place it sounds so swish the school is often accommodating about it... DD is getting even time off this term to go and see DS perform at his christmas show (he has just been promoted to lead in the matinee performances so we are all v excited!). Will def ask DS if he wants to apply to Paris Opera- it sounds great (though as it's the first I imagine competition for places will be spectacularly fierce!) thanks so much for posting the info I would never have seen it!

• Like 1

I think the fees seem very reasonable.

I find them quite steep myself if you compare them with the RBS SS where you can stay for 2 weeks for £1150 (around €1400) and you can be helped financially. We live in France and I find that it will be a very lucrative summer for the POB school!

That said, DD will certainly apply but mainly to know the outcome...

I'm sure there is something about that in old discussions but there you go... The maximum age to apply is if you're under 13 on the 1st of October the year before the audition i.e. you had to not have turned 13 yet on the 1st of October 2012 to apply for the audition taking place in May 2013.

After that age, one still can apply by video and if they like what they see on that video, they will offer you a private audition. This process is extremely rarely successful! So in reality, one doesn't do one's final years of training there.

From the age of 16, students of the POB school can audition for the corps de ballet but only if they have passed their baccalauréat which you normally sit when 17 or 18. So in order to audition, one has to have been accelerated at school. And lastly, you can't be a student of the POB school without following the French curriculum in which one has to sit for all key subjects for baccalauréat. What I mean is that one cannot choose 2 or 3 A levels in France. My eldest DD who dances 20 hours a week will still have to sit a minimum of 6 subjects to pass.

Hope it's clear...

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info,Afab. Not for me,of course,but for others on this forum who have dancing children. It strikes me,then,that in order to succeed as a classical ballet dancer in France,it is much more difficult than in England. Very few get that "second chance" to audition for ballet school at 16.Plus all the academics.Tough indeed.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info,Afab. Not for me,of course,but for others on this forum who have dancing children. It strikes me,then,that in order to succeed as a classical ballet dancer in France,it is much more difficult than in England. Very few get that "second chance" to audition for ballet school at 16.Plus all the academics.Tough indeed.

Definitely tough. But I think that what happens at RBS for sixth form entry isn't primarily a matter of giving UK students a 'second chance' (though in rare cases this may happen). Rather it's a matter of having WL students compete for places at Upper School with top students from all over the world - something that is less of a concern for POB students who must 'just' do their regular annual assessments at 16. So in that sense, once you're in the POB system it is 'easier' to stay in it. Or rather there are fewer unknowns for having to leave.

Yaffa

• Like 3

Further on in the website they are actually advertising auditions for temporary and permanent dancers in the corps de ballet for 16 to 26 year olds. What an amazing opportunity!!

Ax

I have just realised after finding my glasses that it was 2012 dates and not 2013 as I first thought!! Sorry!

Edited by amber21
  • Like 1

Further on in the website they are actually advertising auditions for temporary and permanent dancers in the corps de ballet for 16 to 26 year olds. What an amazing opportunity!!

Ax

I have just realised after finding my glasses that it was 2012 dates and not 2013 as I first thought!! Sorry!

I believe they have audition days (actually more like a competiton) once a year. The primary one is internal - just for dancers from the school; though there is also a framework for external candidates.

Within the company, they also have an annual competion to determine promotion for all ranks except etoile.

Yaffa

• 1 month later...

I'm reviving the subject as I heard of a girl who already knows she's in... I would have thought they were waiting for the deadline to start offering places but apparently not! DD is nearly done with her video and will send it shortly...

Any luck anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

DD's video done and dusted... and even sent!

Fingers crossed! We don't hold much hope but you never know...

She used the same video for American Ballet Theater. Double crossed fingers!

Anyone decided to apply ?

We could support each other...

DD did it with her ballet teacher in the studio at the dance school. They prepared what they wanted to present and worked at it in 2 different private sessions. They took an afternoon to film and then the teacher edited everything and gave us a file. We paid her of course for the work done.

The teacher did that for 2 of her students and will do another 3 for other kids who wants to apply for less prestigious but still good summer schools...

Once done, the video can be used for a good few months and generally for different schools as they always ask for more or less the same videos.

Hope it helps...

Edited by afab

I think for the company itself POB auditions once a year in early July. This is way later than other companies.

Re the summer school most English schools are happy to allow students to have time off for something like this rather than just a family holiday.

I'm sure it will be a great experience for anyone who goes to the summer school.

Hello, 

this is my first post here, so please forgive me if I don't get things quite right.

Afab, did you hear back from POB? Was your dd accepted?

I have just posted my dd's audition video. We live in Australia, so it will only just arrive before the cut off date. I was a little alarmed to read that they are accepting people before seeing all the applicants! It has been summer holidays here and we've been away in Sydney and Melbourne for summer schools, so only just returned to put the dvd together as quickly as possible.

I've found the staff at POB extremely helpful via email. They even sent me a message to remind me that the date is looming.

Do you have any idea how many applications they have received? 

Good luck, I hope your dd is accepted. Mine is desperate to get in! She has also applied for the RBS. It would be good if she was accepted into both summer schools in the same year, so we get better value for the airfares :)

• Like 1

Hi Pastel,

We haven't heard yet... The POB school received the application on Friday so it's still early days!

How old is you daughter ? Mine is 13 and she's also applied to RBS. She was accepted last year so her hopes are high for this year... I also have a younger DD (10) who is applying to RBS as well.

Does your daughter speak any French? How old is she?

Where in Oz do you live? I used to live there many, many moons ago...

Good luck to your DD and with a bit of luck, we'll meet in the summer...

Afab