What's your favourite 'lovey' ballet?

I've finally got round to listening to the podcast & I probably should have done so before replying to the question. I didn't think that ballets such as R&J and Manon came under the lovey-dovey category, which I'd only apply to ballets with happy endings. But as it seems they do then I'd put those 2 at the top of my list.

• Like 1

I know what you mean, Dawnstar, but I think these ballets are in there because the love runs so deep that these young people make the ultimate sacrifice for it.   I think Swan Lake would also fall into that category!  I think the difference is that in the podcast they discuss love and romance in ballet.  Here, you are right, it’s the lovey-dovey ballets being discussed.  

• Like 2

On 14/02/2021 at 13:56, Angela said:

And as you can see from my profile photo, I am still waiting for "Francesca da Rimini", the ballet.  😍

Thanks for reminding me of this clip, which deserves an outing in this thread..

• Like 3

Thank you! That's from Yuri Possokhov's choreography for SF ballet. It's a bit - shall we say: academic, for my taste. I always imagine something very emotional, between Fokine's Scheherazade, Cranko's Onegin (yes, it's the Francesca da Rimini music by Tchaikovsky he used for Onegin) and Neumeier's Lady of the Camellias. Or something completely different. As Diaghilev said: Etonne-moi...

And by the way: where's the book?! 😉

Earlier to day the ROH reminded me that it's been exactly a year since the premiere of Cathy Marston's The Cellist, and used a 3-minute excerpt showing the interplay between the three principal characters.  Not 'lovey dovey' as most might understand the term, but emotional in the extreme:

https://twitter.com/RoyalOperaHouse/status/1362016569082183680?s=20

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Ian Macmillan said:

Earlier to day the ROH reminded me that it's been exactly a year since the premiere of Cathy Marston's The Cellist, and used a 3-minute excerpt showing the interplay between the three principal characters.  Not 'lovey dovey' as most might understand the term, but emotional in the extreme:

https://twitter.com/RoyalOperaHouse/status/1362016569082183680?s=20

Well Marcelino playing 'the cello' is what inspired me to choose Brandon to play 'the Titanic' - so seems fitting! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ToThePointe said:

Well Marcelino playing 'the cello' is what inspired me to choose Brandon to play 'the Titanic' - so seems fitting! 

I am just imagining Brandon holding Vadream and Anna-Rose as they both stand on his thighs, leaning forward, AR with her arms stretched open to her sides...😂😂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I am just imagining Brandon holding Vadream and Anna-Rose as they both stand on his thighs, leaning forward, AR with her arms stretched open to her sides...😂😂

It's going to have to be a pas de trois on a stage covered with dry ice....Brandon as the Titanic, Anna Rose as Rose.....and TBA as the iceberg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rob S said:

It's going to have to be a pas de trois on a stage covered with dry ice....Brandon as the Titanic, Anna Rose as Rose.....and TBA as the iceberg

I'm now imagining the iceberg as being rather like Lady Mary in Enigma Variations, floating among dry ice!

• Like 1

This is by no means a 'lovey dovey' ballet, and depending on the interpretation, I'm not even sure if the love is reciprocated, but I'm currently listening to the music from Manon and I think that first pas de deux between Manon and Des Grieux has some of the most beautiful music that depicts love. Similarly to the balcony music in R&J, here, thanks to those horns and brass in the background, you know it's isn't going to end well, but it tells the story of the two protagonists going for it anyway. Sigh!

I love the choreography too!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, ToThePointe said:

This is by no means a 'lovey dovey' ballet, and depending on the interpretation, I'm not even sure if the love is reciprocated, but I'm currently listening to the music from Manon and I think that first pas de deux between Manon and Des Grieux has some of the most beautiful music that depicts love. Similarly to the balcony music in R&J, here, thanks to those horns and brass in the background, you know it's isn't going to end well, but it tells the story of the two protagonists going for it anyway. Sigh!

The music from Manon is my favourite ballet music (with R&J a close second).  I’ve had to stop playing the Manon score while in the car because the final pdd music makes me weep even without the wonderful choreo.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ToThePointe said:

I agree.  All the pdd in Manon say so much...but that final one gets me every time.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Anna C said:

The music from Manon is my favourite ballet music (with R&J a close second).  I’ve had to stop playing the Manon score while in the car because the final pdd music makes me weep even without the wonderful choreo.  

I avoid having to choose between the two by saying R&J is my favourite score written for a ballet & Manon is my favourite score compiled for a ballet.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, EMoo said:

Love the Massenet! Two of my favourite musical moments from the ballet in their original form:

Manon and Des Grieux at the port:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvhArCM6Lc

And that magical final pas de deux!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYM7Peqvvis

The music selections for Manon are genius. Much better music, especially for the final pdd, than that which Massenet actually composed for his operatic version of Manon, in my opinion. None of the music in the operatic Manon manages to move me.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't know, because I haven't seen it yet, but I imagine that the ballet Les Noces would be a really 'lovey' ballet. I looked up the translation and Les Noces means The Weddings so I can just picture tutus, confetti and lots of pretty dancing. 

17 minutes ago, Darlex said:

I don't know, because I haven't seen it yet, but I imagine that the ballet Les Noces would be a really 'lovey' ballet. I looked up the translation and Les Noces means The Weddings so I can just picture tutus, confetti and lots of pretty dancing. 

Absolute opposite, actually.

For what you describe, you may want to check-out the last act of Petipa’s Sleeping Beauty, sometimes performed on its own as “Aurora’s Wedding”... although I’ve never seen it with confetti.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darlex said:

It's actually a really austere ballet - a Russian peasant wedding, no tutus or confetti and the dancing is very non-balletic! But I think it's very beautiful and powerful too.

• Like 1

Dear Jeanette, Dear Bridiem. 

I have a confession to make: I have lied. 

Les Noces is one of my favourite ballets and I have seen it many times. 

And today is April 1st!!! 

2 hours ago, Jeannette said:

Absolute opposite, actually.

For what you describe, you may want to check-out the last act of Petipa’s Sleeping Beauty, sometimes performed on its own as “Aurora’s Wedding”... although I’ve never seen it with confetti.

You need to see SPW's production for Birmingham Royal Ballet.  Not confetti thrown by dancers but a golden rain as the curtain falls.  It gets me every time!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darlex said:

Dear Jeanette, Dear Bridiem. 

I have a confession to make: I have lied. 

Les Noces is one of my favourite ballets and I have seen it many times. 

And today is April 1st!!! 

Brilliant! 😆 Just shows how trusting I am 😄 - I'd never have thought it of you... (actually I was a bit surprised, but didn't suspect for a minute).

14 minutes ago, bridiem said:

Brilliant! 😆 Just shows how trusting I am 😄 - I'd never have thought it of you... (actually I was a bit surprised, but didn't suspect for a minute).

I feel rather wicked, but so glad you saw the funny side! Best wishes.