RBS Junior Associate Auditions 2021

Tdc34

25 minutes ago, Balletbow said:

Wow that was quick in between the two! My dd did her Grade 1 exam last month (which had been cancelled from last year), but her teacher wants to move her up to the Grade 3 class but their exam isn’t until early July so she’s in class limbo currently while she waits for them to finish prep. 🤦🏻‍♀️

We were similar. My DD was ready for G2 last year but with lockdown in the way, the exam was pushed and she was bored.  One benefit of Covid though was that she could do her exam videoed and alone so her teacher recommended that and she jumped into a G3 class that was almost ready for the exam. She’s much happier 🤞

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Babyballerinamum said:

We were similar. My DD was ready for G2 last year but with lockdown in the way, the exam was pushed and she was bored.  One benefit of Covid though was that she could do her exam videoed and alone so her teacher recommended that and she jumped into a G3 class that was almost ready for the exam. She’s much happier 🤞

That’s brilliant 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Missdancemum said:

I thought we’d hear this week too. I know some existing JA heard this week about continuing next year so hopefully not too much longer to wait!

Do you think that gives anyone the option if they decide they dont want to continue? 

49 minutes ago, Missdancemum said:

I thought we’d hear this week too. I know some existing JA heard this week about continuing next year so hopefully not too much longer to wait!

I imagine existing JAs have been given a date by which they have to respond and confirm their place? Guessing audition results will be emailed out after?

17 minutes ago, Tendu43 said:

I imagine existing JAs have been given a date by which they have to respond and confirm their place? Guessing audition results will be emailed out after?

I’ve just had a look and there isn’t a date to accept the place so I think they just assume you carry on unless you tell them otherwise. 

I don’t suppose that helps much. 

• Like 1

Has everyone been viewed now? Has anyone had more than a second view? Like 3/4? I wish they would send an update saying when the results will be issued to save my sanity. Every day thinking could today be the day and then being disappointed. Last year it was more of a relief when we got the no as i could go back to normal 😂

Just now, Balletbuds80 said:

Has everyone been viewed now? Has anyone had more than a second view? Like 3/4? I wish they would send an update saying when the results will be issued to save my sanity. Every day thinking could today be the day and then being disappointed. Last year it was more of a relief when we got the no as i could go back to normal 😂

Lol couldn’t agree more! 
we’ve had the first set of views where each video was watched all the way through. Then the second set when half was watched. 

• Like 1

We uploaded via Google drive so have no idea if they’ve been watched or how many times, but we did another video audition and sent it a different way which means we can see if it’s been downloaded and it’s excruciating! Looking forward to just knowing either way now, hopefully not too much longer. 

14 minutes ago, MamaFrosty said:

We uploaded via Google drive so have no idea if they’ve been watched or how many times, but we did another video audition and sent it a different way which means we can see if it’s been downloaded and it’s excruciating! Looking forward to just knowing either way now, hopefully not too much longer. 

Last year i said we wouldn't do it again if it was video audition. Yet here we are 🙋‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Tendu43 said:

My DS is a Birmingham JA. I don’t believe we’ve been given any communication yet asking if we would like to continue into Y6. Though assessments were only last Saturday, and there is one more class before the end of term. Not sure if we will be asked to confirm or if it will just be presumed as you have to give a terms notice, so that opportunity would already have passed. 

The only communication regarding Y6 from September was sent in March, asking if our preference would be for 24 or 32 sessions, as they are hoping to return to the pre-covid structure, which would mean longer classes and possibly the ability to have bigger groups. It didn’t explicitly ask if we would like to keep our place, like other have said I think it’s presumed you’ll keep your space unless you advise otherwise.

This is presumably the purpose of the SWL. My DS got SWL in 2019 and I’m sure they said it stays ‘active’ for the first few classes of the new academic intake, as some people might start then drop out for whatever reason. But if you don’t hear by around mid October then presume it has closed. 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Grammar
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SarahG1881 said:

Lol couldn’t agree more! 
we’ve had the first set of views where each video was watched all the way through. Then the second set when half was watched. 

Same, our videos have been watched twice, last views were a couple of weeks ago… 

12 hours ago, Tendu43 said:

London JA here - we got confirmation of next year's place on 23 May, and had to respond by 31st. Sounds like it varies from centre to centre, so probably not much help. Good luck to everyone applying!

41 minutes ago, GabrielleDeV said:

London JA here - we got confirmation of next year's place on 23 May, and had to respond by 31st. Sounds like it varies from centre to centre, so probably not much help. Good luck to everyone applying!

Interesting, haven’t officially been given confirmation yet in Birmingham (as far as I’m aware). 

1 hour ago, GabrielleDeV said:

DD is at a different centre but we also had to respond by 31 May to confirm whether we wanted to continue next year or not. 

I don't know how the different audition process this year will affect things but in previous years the results have taken a good while to trickle out even once they start coming - it took a fair amount of time for people applying to all the different centres to hear. We are likely in for a bit of a wait yet. 

23 hours ago, Waverley said:

I don't know how the different audition process this year will affect things but in previous years the results have taken a good while to trickle out even once they start coming - it took a fair amount of time for people applying to all the different centres to hear. We are likely in for a bit of a wait yet. 

This suddenly occurred to me last weekend too. Last year, they released all of the year 6 results on one day then years 4&5 were broken up into four groups, so there were five results days in total. In ‘normal years’, it would take about 10-14 days for them all to be released in order of the centre auditioned at. So even when the results do start coming out, it’s unlikely to be done in a day (although let’s hope for all of our sanity that somehow it will be🤦🏻‍♀️) For that reason, I don’t think we will hear anything this side of the weekend now. Let’s hope we might be put out of our e-mail refreshing misery next week!

Is anyone on here still waiting for first views/have friends who are waiting? X

• Like 1

On 10/06/2021 at 09:15, Footloose48 said:

Yes it must vary centre to centre when we hear results. I wonder how likely getting a yr6 place is...

My DD was waitlisted for Brum last year. Results came out one year ago today 

So I thought all our friends had been viewed but turns out one hasn’t. She’s an August birthday going for year 4 so in regards to age and year group she is one of the very last ones. My only theory that they watch in centre/age order. My daughter is also quite young in the year group and going for year 4 and we seemed to be one of the last on here. Really hope we might hear by next week if she gets viewed today 🤞

28 minutes ago, Pinkandwhite said:

So I thought all our friends had been viewed but turns out one hasn’t. She’s an August birthday going for year 4 so in regards to age and year group she is one of the very last ones. My only theory that they watch in centre/age order. My daughter is also quite young in the year group and going for year 4 and we seemed to be one of the last on here. Really hope we might hear by next week if she gets viewed today 🤞

Unfortunately I don’t think that theory will work as my daughter is an august baby and was viewed before her older friends. 

1 hour ago, SarahG1881 said:

My emails say we got last years on Nov 9th.

23rd Oct for us 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

I’m assuming everyone means the 2019 application results came out in the June of that year. We didn’t even get the video audition details until September last year x

32 minutes ago, Babyballerinamum said:

When we did an insight day, we were told they give preference to Y6 over Y4, Y5 over Y4 etc so 🤞🤞

From what I understand not many places were given out last year because of Covid. Hence they set up the JEP for those on SWL. Therefore I am trying to be optimistic that all things going well there will be more places available as they will hopefully be going back to normal class sizes 🤞

For those interested in data and numbers, the Royal Ballet School 2019/20 annual report has just been released. It came via email but is probably online. This was the year of applications Pre-covid, so probably represents ‘normal’ numbers. Here is a small snapshot re: Junior Associates:

2019/20 annual report

Applying to JAs: 1173 girls 143 boys

Actual JAs: 231 girls 93 boys 

Birmingham: 44 girls 18 boys 

Edited by BalletBoysDad
Error