Graduates 2021

balletbean

13 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

I’m not saying it’s easy 😀 We are Cornwall based and travelled to London and Birmingham for male associates. But it’s another way , apart from leaving home at 11, which we experienced with Dd. As you said, it’s what works for your child and family.

BalletBoost have sessions in Exeter, Devon, which is a good deal closer to Cornwall than Birmingham or London! But I don't know if they offer specific classes for boys. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are more opportunities - both male & female now - including longer & better paid careers in pro football....arguable that both have quite similar requirements too physically/emotionally/dedication/time spent training etc....

I have actually heard of a guy who (quite a number of years ago now) had careers both as a dancer & a footballer....not sure of order/training emphasis etc...

However, I think suggesting to my DC a career switch to footie would be as popular as suggesting Fatima moving to IT!! 🤣

Edited by Peanut68
Typo

18 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

Nothing is ballet in easy!  I think it's one of the great ironies is that something that is so hard to get into, so badly paid, with such a short career, is such a sought after profession.

When Dd started her training in 2012 a majority of graduates from her school gained contracts with ballet companies. This has deteriorated over the past few years with less and less opportunities available 😢 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BlueLou said:

Dd graduates tomorrow. She has opted to spend the next year diversifying her skill set. Does anyone know anything about GSA (Guildford), and specifically Musical Theatre there? 

Oh my goodness! 

Time has flown! 

Best wishes to your DD for the future. 

I've only heard good things about GSA and the musical theatre course.  It's on my list as somewhere for DD to consider. 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2021 at 15:45, Streetdancer said:

There's some lovely profiles being put on social media of the Academy of Northern Ballet CAT scheme graduates. Proof that vocational school is not the only route to 16+ training.

E.g. https://www.instagram.com/p/CRD3riJKnMK/?utm_medium=copy_link

except of course CAT  is  'lower school' vocational experience  especially for the  older  students ... 

On 08/07/2021 at 16:19, cotes du rhone ! said:

From our experience I strongly believe that a good associate scheme and training is just as good for accessing 16+ vocational training as attending a full time lower school. For boys especially 😀 and cheaper too 🤣 

but Centres for Advanced Training  are  a VOcational School level of  intensity and exposure to  dance training 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pixiewoo said:

Oh my goodness! 

Time has flown! 

Best wishes to your DD for the future. 

I've only heard good things about GSA and the musical theatre course.  It's on my list as somewhere for DD to consider. 

GSA is one of the best places in the country to train for musical theatre. Its very difficult to get into. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jewel said:

GSA is one of the best places in the country to train for musical theatre. Its very difficult to get into. 

Great to know 🙂. I know very little about MT courses and how difficult it is to get into the different schools. Dd has now accepted a place on the MA in MT at GSA starting in September. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BlueLou said:

Great to know 🙂. I know very little about MT courses and how difficult it is to get into the different schools. Dd has now accepted a place on the MA in MT at GSA starting in September. 

Congratulations to your DD BlueLou

• Like 1

On 15/07/2021 at 09:14, BlueLou said:

Dd graduates tomorrow. She has opted to spend the next year diversifying her skill set. Does anyone know anything about GSA (Guildford), and specifically Musical Theatre there? 

DD is about to go into her 3rd year Actor Muso at GSA. Happy to answer any questions. She absolutely loves it there. 

• Like 2

On 15/07/2021 at 09:14, BlueLou said:

For those of thus who thought GSA was the Glasgow School of Art I think in this context it means Guildford School of Acting!

• Like 5

So DS has graduated ……but it feels very surreal …… all the hard work and the choreography for the Final performances that will never be seen….

All shows cancelled less than 24 hours before I was due to drive up and watch proudly!

covid strikes again! So incredibly sad about this missed opportunity.

However very pleased to say that they leave to take up an

Emerging artist contract with Sir Matthew Bournes new adventures company!

Assuming that this isn’t cancelled due to Covid they will be joining their nutcracker tour of the UK so hopefully there will at last be a chance to watch them dance In October!

• Like 20

50 minutes ago, Billyelliott said:

So DS has graduated ……but it feels very surreal …… all the hard work and the choreography for the Final performances that will never be seen….

All shows cancelled less than 24 hours before I was due to drive up and watch proudly!

Assuming that this isn’t cancelled due to Covid they will be joining their nutcracker tour of the UK so hopefully there will at last be a chance to watch them dance In October!

Huge congratulations to your Ds 🎉 What a wonderful opportunity and company to be part of. I’ve heard a previous school mate may be playing a lead role too 😊 so would be good to watch them both dance again x

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Billyelliott said:

My ds was telling me about this - fantastic news!! Many congratulations to them. Fingers crossed everything goes ahead this autumn. 

9 hours ago, Billyelliott said:

Very exciting - congratulations to your DS!

13 hours ago, Billyelliott said:

Fantastic news. I’m so pleased for your son 

🤩🤩🤩

• Like 5

On 21/07/2021 at 08:32, Billyelliott said:

Congratulations on your son's fabulous achievement. Such an exciting time for you all and it's wonderful to hear positive news at the moment. Here's hoping that you will have many opportunities for 'proud parent' moments whilst watching him in the future. Wishing him good luck and every success in his career. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Am I right in thinking that RBS publish how many of their JAs or year 7 WL pupils make it to grad year ? 
Do Elmhurst do this ?

Is it a requirement to make public this information ? 

All I’ve seen from RBS is their annual report which just gives student numbers . Nothing specific about their journey to grad year. 

The Royal Ballet School Matinee Performance thread over on the Performances seen  part of the forum has a link to grad destinations. I haven’t looked in recent years but had one point it used to high light who had been an associate of school

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jane said:

The Royal Ballet School Matinee Performance thread over on the Performances seen  part of the forum has a link to grad destinations. I haven’t looked in recent years but had one point it used to high light who had been an associate of school

Here's the link to the thread:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Perils of being a graduate. Getting lost when out and about auditioning. If my darling DD had managed to lose her sense of direction in London I could understand. But nope, my darling DD managed to get lost between her airport hotel and the terminal at 5.55am this morning in Gatwick. Calling mum for help!  Mmm. My mummy skills are pretty good but that one failed me completely. Resulted in missing the flight!
12 hrs later just about to board next flight home. 
Bless ‘em all. 😏

• Like 1

On 08/09/2021 at 15:10, abitwornout said:

In case anyone has missed Elmhurst’s 2021 graduate destinations. A huge Well done to them all xxx

https://elmhurstballetschool.org/en/graduate-destinations/

Congratulations to the class of 2021 🎉🥳🍾🥂 I hope they have all managed to get to their contracts in the US and EU. 
My Dd was the class of 2020, the “ ghost “ year. The one that will not feature on the schools website graduate destination or celebration list. Sadly the majority never had the opportunity to pursue a ballet career that they had trained and sacrificed so much for. Even after auditioning them the associate company didn’t give a 2020 graduate an opportunity 😢 But some happily did gain contracts and are doing very well 🥳 

The rest, including my Dd, have moved on to new adventures and opportunities that they never dreamed of. They will be fantastic in whatever they choose to do, I just wish that it was congratulated and celebrated not forgotten 😔

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...