Graduates 2021

balletbean

Last year both of my daughters graduated, one dance and one academic uni. Only zoom graduations which were pitiful. They were told that it would be pushed back and be with this years cohort but due to ongoing covid both were told a while back that a ceremony for their year group wasn't possible. Absolutely devastating for them (and us!) after so much hard work put into their courses. Very tough for this years graduates too and absolutely the forgotten generation. 

• Like 2

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Liveforballet said:

Last year both of my daughters graduated, one dance and one academic uni. Only zoom graduations which were pitiful. They were told that it would be pushed back and be with this years cohort but due to ongoing covid both were told a while back that a ceremony for their year group wasn't possible. Absolutely devastating for them (and us!) after so much hard work put into their courses. Very tough for this years graduates too and absolutely the forgotten generation. 

Our Dd graduated from her vocational school last year with as you very eloquently put it, a pitiful graduation 😞 The school offer a graduate placement program, the students can stay for a further year as staff, no fees, but perform a role within the school in exchange for ballet classes. They get no summer show or graduation this year either 😢 After now nine years of training how can this be ? I feel very sad for this years and last years graduates 😭 I just wish there was a bit more realism and honesty and then support available for those who wish to/ or have too pursue different pathway. The past year and this has been unprecedented. But they are the forgotten generation/graduates 😢

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Liveforballet said:

I know, very demoralising and depressing. We had no showcase, no support with showreel either as no studio access possible so a huge disadvantage when applying for work. 😒😪 

The schools can’t blame Covid for their lack of support with studio time and show reels. It was like it was a new phenomenon to them 🤔 We have had two graduate year experiences and we were astonished by the lack of guidance and support in relation to applying and auditioning for jobs. 
I wouldn’t worry about the graduate showcase. Lots of ADs from companies were invited to Ds and Dds shows but hardly any attended and not one contract came from them. It was just a showcase for parents and family really 🥰 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Liveforballet said:

I know, very demoralising and depressing. We had no showcase, no support with showreel either as no studio access possible so a huge disadvantage when applying for work. 😒😪 

I’m not too if this is any help you aren’t alone as my DD received only a few IT lessons via zoom on how to create a showreel and was left to get on with it. The final cut consisted of previous edited show clips from 1st yr, in-class videos and choreography taken on her phone and recorded by her brother (unbeknown to me) in our garden and yes I did flinch when I saw that our lawn & weeds were in desperate need of a mow, now saved for posterity on her showreel. 🤦‍♀️
I was amazed at the creativity and surprised that the pupils aren’t awarded a degree in film & media for all their efforts. Beforehand I honestly believed that showreels were created by professionals not the dancers themselves. 🎥📱💻
ps. DD detested IT lessons at her old school. 

• Like 4

Ds and Dd spent weeks, every weekend on their own in a studio, if they could get one that wasn’t used by associates or being rented out ££, filming themselves with an iPhone on a tripod that we invested in. It was stressful and there were many tears 😢 They had no guidance on content and did the research themselves. They each had multiple different showcase versions as companies requested different things. It was pain staking. Dd went to Paris YAGP so we could get proper footage of her performing a classical and contemporary solo for her video as there was nothing from the school we could use.

I recall Ds anxiously sending off his footage for the first time not knowing if it was right or wrong. When he started getting auditions we were relieved 😅 Then came the grad show rehearsals and performances and flying to different countries every weekend for auditions. It was gruelling 😩 and unsurprisingly ended in injury 🤕 The schools priority was their shows !! Not my DCs future. Dds ballet teacher even requested that she cancel an audition she had secured so she could dance in the school for visiting VIPs 😡 Sadly I don’t think that the teachers had a clue about just what it is like for these children jetting half way across the world to be ejected from an audition at barre 😭 it’s soul destroying. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Ds and Dd spent weeks, every weekend on their own in a studio, if they could get one that wasn’t used by associates or being rented out ££, filming themselves with an iPhone on a tripod that we invested in. It was stressful and there were many tears 😢 They had no guidance on content and did the research themselves. They each had multiple different showcase versions as companies requested different things. It was pain staking. Dd went to Paris YAGP so we could get proper footage of her performing a classical and contemporary solo for her video as there was nothing from the school we could use.

I recall Ds anxiously sending off his footage for the first time not knowing if it was right or wrong. When he started getting auditions we were relieved 😅 Then came the grad show rehearsals and performances and flying to different countries every weekend for auditions. It was gruelling 😩 and unsurprisingly ended in injury 🤕 The schools priority was their shows !! Not my DCs future. Dds ballet teacher even requested that she cancel an audition she had secured so she could dance in the school for visiting VIPs 😡 Sadly I don’t think that the teachers had a clue about just what it is like for these children jetting half way across the world to be ejected from an audition at barre 😭 it’s soul destroying. 

I’m so sorry to hear about your DC’s personal experience. We haven’t experienced anything like yours as yet. Teachers have been there be via email as some gave recently been from the pro life/auditions etc so can empathise with them. But still doesn’t take the pain away from what they all endure to pursue their dreams. 
I’m constantly checking out other dance reels second guessing my DD‘S but then trying to put it into context that it’s only a taster of what they can offer.  After-all nearly every graduate this year and last are in the same boat. Preferably the life boat and not The Titanic 🙏🏻🤞🏼

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

😳. None at all for the graduating year? 

1 hour ago, balletbean said:

I’m so sorry to hear about your DC’s personal experience. We haven’t experienced anything like yours as yet. Teachers have been there be via email as some gave recently been from the pro life/auditions etc so can empathise with them. But still doesn’t take the pain away from what they all endure to pursue their dreams. 
I’m constantly checking out other dance reels second guessing my DD‘S but then trying to put it into context that it’s only a taster of what they can offer.  After-all nearly every graduate this year and last are in the same boat. Preferably the life boat and not The Titanic 🙏🏻🤞🏼

No career info given to students if they decide to come away from ballet, their only concern end of year shows & getting the year graduated! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pointe3 said:

No career info given to students if they decide to come away from ballet, their only concern end of year shows & getting the year graduated! 

Exactly 😢

They don’t care where they go so long as they leave quietly. And getting one pupil into a well known company isn’t a success. What about all the others ? Those missing from the graduate destination list because they were unsuccessful or chose a different path. No congratulations or recognition for them 😭 

• Like 6

59 minutes ago, Pointe3 said:

That is so sad. Those schools will reap what they sow over a period of time. 
New applicants may well be very savvy and look closely on how all schools and institutions took care of their pupils during these unprecedented times. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pointe3 said:

Same in dd’s graduate yr! It’s very sad especially with the lack of jobs this yr even more of a reason to help these dancers during an unprecedented time. 

I do hope that the colleges make some effort. I am glad you have a flight booked BalletBean. That's more than I have. Enjoy the moment in whatever way it comes. I will have to send a UK-based substitute.

My DD  is just graduating on a diploma course, as she is also wrapping up her A levels and is still under 18 till the very end of August. She looked at all the auditions going across Europe principally, and the age required, usually set at 18,and realised that there was no point in putting together a show reel because it would be a waste of effort. The restrictions on access to studios and colleagues with the technology and know-how in other bubbles  didn't help. However she would be blanked automatically by companies as under age. Gone are the days of apprenticeships at 16 plus. Employment laws, insurance, safeguarding and health and safety have put paid to that. However her appetite for academic study has increased and so DD is  thinking of continuing in this direction for a while, whilst continuing with classes and delaying the applications by at least one year. She has time on her side. She may get some freelance work to put on the CV after she is 18. Who knows?

She did have the opportunity to do a three day showcase with the ballet company of her college , which she adored and some material may be available from this for showreels in the future. Usually the college tours but they restricted that this year. I do not know if any company AD's attended. Tutor feedback was positive. Her old YAGP films and others, though of an excellent standard and good enough to audition a year ago, will not represent the dancer she is now after yet more intensive instruction. Improvement is constant,the quality of technique and interpretation , maturity of expression and indeed figure and face. The difference between looking like a 'student ' and a company dancer can be great.  

The college did give classes on employability and audition technique, but bubbles and limitations on studios prevented students having chance to do showreels easily. Not sure how many have been successful at audition, because I am out of the loop. Choreography ventures were suggested for online transmission  through the year, which were highly inventive in terms of techniques, storytelling , locations and  a great use of technology, and I should think that some  students involved then used this material for their reels.

There will be some form of live graduation ceremony but bubbled. 

50 minutes ago, Lusodancer said:

I do hope that the colleges make some effort. I am glad you have a flight booked BalletBean. That's more than I have. Enjoy the moment in whatever way it comes. I will have to send a UK-based substitute.

My DD  is just graduating on a diploma course, as she is also wrapping up her A levels and is still under 18 till the very end of August. She looked at all the auditions going across Europe principally, and the age required, usually set at 18,and realised that there was no point in putting together a show reel because it would be a waste of effort. The restrictions on access to studios and colleagues with the technology and know-how in other bubbles  didn't help

Thank you. Sadly two of her siblings are unable to travel as they haven’t been vaccinated as yet. I’m going no matter what. I say no matter what whilst fingers and toes (en pointe obviously) firmly crossed. 3rd yrs currently in isolation. It’s going to be tight but hey they have faced other challenges during their training I’m sure they will conquer this one. 🤞🏼😳

DD’s showreel didn’t have access to any fancy technology. Just an iPhone and an old reconditioned MacBook.  Besides the images of a lawn in desperate need of a mow there's also DD dancing at sunrise and the end of the breakwater to capture not only the sun but also high tide! . Hoping the stunning backdrop may distract the person watching.😉 Teachers complimented the ‘beautiful sunset’. If only!  Eeerrr nope. Flippin’ freezing morning with mother 🙋🏼‍♀️standing out in the open trying to hold the iPhone steady all for the love of her DD 🥶

I do think there would be an appetite for all the outtakes from these show reels to be edited together to create a film all of its own and show others what life is truly like. Not just the finished polished product🤪

I wish your DD all the best in these most challenging of times  ☺️

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Canary said:

Lusodancer don’t worry about age they defer starting contract until the dancer is 18. 

Yes thank you, but some state that you have to be over 18 to even apply for audition, so it would seem a little pushy to apply especially with the stiff competition. She is patient and finds plenty of avenues to develop her skillset further in and out of the studio. She can just apply for a company class later and might do better that way. 

On 22/06/2021 at 23:40, cotes du rhone ! said:

Our Dd graduated from her vocational school last year with as you very eloquently put it, a pitiful graduation 😞 The school offer a graduate placement program, the students can stay for a further year as staff, no fees, but perform a role within the school in exchange for ballet classes. They get no summer show or graduation this year either 😢 After now nine years of training how can this be ? I feel very sad for this years and last years graduates 😭 I just wish there was a bit more realism and honesty and then support available for those who wish to/ or have too pursue different pathway. The past year and this has been unprecedented. But they are the forgotten generation/graduates 😢

My DD just been offered this live in and with a £16.000 wage so she’s jumped at the chance, hopefully it will all pan out as she will be fed with a bed with a wage and still able to be signed with an agent whilst still having access to classes and the studios .. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, WrapsnBows said:

My DD just been offered this live in and with a £16.000 wage so she’s jumped at the chance, hopefully it will all pan out as she will be fed with a bed with a wage and still able to be signed with an agent whilst still having access to classes and the studios .. 

Oh wow, that’s great news for your DD. 👏🏻

On 23/06/2021 at 19:51, cotes du rhone ! said:

Exactly 😢

They don’t care where they go so long as they leave quietly. And getting one pupil into a well known company isn’t a success. What about all the others ? Those missing from the graduate destination list because they were unsuccessful or chose a different path. No congratulations or recognition for them 😭 

Reading this is very upsetting- nothing has changed since my daughter graduated. Exactly the same experience - no recognition. Left off the list of published graduates. She’s still raising the issue with the school. Trying to make change. All just talk it seems. All the recent AD statements about mental health for students needs to include how they leave the school and transition too. They can’t say they are now focused on mental health when the students are being discarded at the end not helped or transitioned with respect.  Nothing changed - and again all advertising to protect their own reputation and brands. 

• Like 8

When your DD attends her very first pro audition on your birthday!! 😱

You are so nervous you polish the entire house top to bottom and even the cat, if you had one. 🤣

Oh my days this is worse than auditioning for US 

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Fiz said:

@balletbeanHappy Birthday! I hope it all goes well for your dd!

Thank you, so kind of you. 
Crazy couple of days. DD’s birthday was yesterday! 
Other non DD has an job interview tomorrow. 
I don’t think there’s enough tea in China that will keep me going today 😂🫖🫖🫖

• Like 3

18 hours ago, glowlight said:

Happy birthday @balletbean.  Hope the audition went well today.  And if it didn't...just as with all the auditions she's done before it is practice for the next one.

Thank you. Made it to the 2nd day and then was cut at the last round.  So close yet so far. Loved the experience though, still smiling.   Onwards and upwards as they say. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Streetdancer said:

There's some lovely profiles being put on social media of the Academy of Northern Ballet CAT scheme graduates. Proof that vocational school is not the only route to 16+ training.

E.g. https://www.instagram.com/p/CRD3riJKnMK/?utm_medium=copy_link

From our experience I strongly believe that a good associate scheme and training is just as good for accessing 16+ vocational training as attending a full time lower school. For boys especially 😀 and cheaper too 🤣 

I think there's a big if there - our experience was it was very difficult to find good quality male training (rural location).  This is why we decided on vocational in y7.  There was also the issue of being the only male in an entire ballet school.  Admittedly our DS rather enjoyed this for a while but I think the social aspects are hard in that situation.  CAT was impossible as it would have involved leaving school by 1pm for every weekday session.  Not ideal even had the school allowed it, and finances stretched to me reducing my hours.

As with all things it's a case of find out what works for your DC.

• Like 1

I’m not saying it’s easy 😀 We are Cornwall based and travelled to London and Birmingham for male associates. But it’s another way , apart from leaving home at 11, which we experienced with Dd. As you said, it’s what works for your child and family.

• Like 1