New book of Clement Crisp's reviews

Received in a long email from the Royal Opera House (I've omitted contact details to be on the safe side):

Clement Crisp Reviews: Sixty Years of Dance

The International Dance Writing Foundation is supporting the publication of a book of Clement Crisp’s reviews. Covering six decades they have selected one hundred and sixty reviews from Clement Crisp’s own scrapbooks offering a remarkable insight into the world of dance. Published later this spring, the book is a reminder of some of the great performances Clement Crisp enjoyed in the Royal Opera House and around the world.

David Wardrop of The International Dance Federation told us: ‘We hope that readers throughout the world will enjoy turning each page, joining Clement for yet another performance and reading his judgement of it. These reviews will serve as the gold standard for writing on dance in its many styles, encouraging new writers to cover this art form which is the aim of the Foundation.’

Friends of Clement and some of his many readers have kindly offered to support the publication of this book in return for their names featuring in its opening pages.

• Like 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got this email too but haven't been able to track down the book at all. If anyone does see publication details of it perhaps they'll be good enough to post it here. I'd be interested in buying it as I loved his reviews. Even if you didn't always agree with him they were never boring. 

There is a link on the website you can click on to inform you when it's published so I've done this. Sounds really interesting. Wish they hadn't limited it to 160 but if it sells well perhaps they'll do another. He must have written thousands. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Postponements seem to be not unusual in the publishing industry at the moment.  There are several books I have my eye on which were due out earlier this year, and none have been published on schedule.  Rightly or wrongly, I'm putting it down to Covid.

On 02/05/2021 at 23:38, Sim said:

On my birthday list... which means waiting until September.  😒

It's on my 'congratulations on the end of a stressful year at work' list.  It's a long list!😉

• Like 5

On 20/05/2021 at 19:32, Fonty said:

Now that is a book I must have, however long it takes to be published. 

Me too Fonty. It was going to be my birthday present to me but as my birthday is in June it will have to be a late birthday present  now. Just disappointed there are only 160 reviews. There must have been thousands to choose from. Perhaps there will be several volumes. I thought he described Scherezade as 'Nothing more than a tart's boudoir ' once, which I always found very apt and amusing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just contacted the publisher about this book as it still seems to be saying unavailable on Amazon, despite Waterstones still saying the 12th July publication date. I had a very prompt response 

I think the printers were affected by a pingdemic. Anyway, I cleared the advance copy on Monday and expect to deliver stocks to the distributors before 19 August. I think the distributor will handle Waterstones. 
It will be in the ROH shop when it finally reopens in September if that helps. 
  • Like 2

The ex-RB dancer & noted MacMillan interpreter Leanne Benjamin also has a book coming out later this year (November I think) written in conjunction with Sarah Crompton about her lengthy career which I think should be fascinating.  It's called Leanne Benjamin; Built for Ballet & is priced at £35 for a pre-order hardback. Definitely one for the xmas list I think.

• Like 7

On 29/07/2021 at 21:01, Diandri said:

The ex-RB dancer & noted MacMillan interpreter Leanne Benjamin also has a book coming out later this year (November I think) written in conjunction with Sarah Crompton about her lengthy career which I think should be fascinating.  It's called Leanne Benjamin; Built for Ballet & is priced at £35 for a pre-order hardback. Definitely one for the xmas list I think.

Should this new book have its own thread?  

On 01/08/2021 at 10:22, capybara said:

I ordered my Clement Crisp book from the publishers but still nothing, not even a 'delay note'.

It's release is edging closer though as my copy of the Literary Review (August) magazine arrived this morning containing a review (well more of a tribute actually) of Crisp's writings by Rupert Christiansen & it sounds like there's quite a variety of his reviews covering various companies, dancers & choreographers. The review is sadly mostly behind the website's paywall, but Christiansen's description of the contents should satisfy most ballet fans appetite for Crisp's insightful & deliciously nuanced writing. I'm looking forward especially to reading anything pre-1992 as after that I've read almost everything he's written & I'm hoping to be able to recycle some of the newspaper cuttings I've accumulated since then.

• Like 1

I was saying to the publisher I hoped it would be a success  and there might be sequels, given Clement must have written thousands of reviews. He said the book was very substantial and there was a chapter on 'funny' reviews which is great as I've always enjoyed Clement's humour and acerbic wit.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had an email from the publisher today.

Clement Crisp Reviews: Six Decades of Dance
Today, The Financial Times includes an item titled 'A career in quotes' about Clement Crisp (Life and Arts, page 14). This links to the publication of our book Clement Crisp Reviews: Six Decades of Dance which will reach our distributors Troubador Books in the first week in September. The Royal Opera House shop which reopens about then will stock the book. We thank you for your patience.

I assume this may be in tomorrow's links but I thought I'd post it here anyway. 
  • Like 2

Read the link and it makes the book sound terrific. Definitely a 'must have' though I might wait and get it from the ROH shop with my Friends discount when I'm there for the ballet later on (providing there are any affordable tickets tomorrow!)

• Like 1

I have received an advance copy of the book which looks simply splendid.  It is large, generously illustrated and packed full of Mr Crisp’s observations about all types of dance as well as some truly hilarious comments.  A real treat.

I understand the book will be sent out at the beginning of September to those who have ordered a copy - not long to wait! 

Edited by The Sitter In
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, alison said:

I hadn't been aware that it was necessary to order a copy :(

Unfortunately I can't see many bookshops stocking it (their loss). I think even Waterstones said they would get it from the publisher, meaning you had to order it. However the ROH shop is stocking it when it reopens in September and if you're a Friend, presumably you can get your 10% off.

At least it’s listed on UK’s, France’s & Japan’s Amazon, although “currently unavailable” in each,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clement-Crisp-Reviews-Decades-Dance/dp/1527287742/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=clement+crisp+reviews+sixty+years+of+dance&qid=1629713969&s=books&sprefix=Clement+Crisp&sr=1-1

It doesn’t even appear in a search on USA’s Amazon.

Is this a limited (niche, boutique) printing? They don’t seem to want mere ballet-loving “peasants” to get ahold of a copy. 🤔 

22 minutes ago, Jeannette said:

Is this a limited (niche, boutique) printing? They don’t seem to want mere ballet-loving “peasants” to get ahold of a copy. 🤔 

When Mao's Last Dancer was published I had asked for it for Christmas and a friend told me that Amazon had the best book prices.  Well it was obviously considered a "niche" book at the time and Amazon had put a £1 premium on the publisher's price.

I went into Waterstones and ordered it at the publisher's price.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

...I went into Waterstones and ordered it at the publisher's price.

Thanks for this idea, Jan. I didn’t realize that Waterstones had an online store. Just ordered my copy and bookmarked the site for future offerings from the UK! (Shame on Amazon, making it so tough to obtain this book.)

link -

https://www.waterstones.com/book/clement-crisp-reviews/gerald-dowler/9781527287747

• Like 1

On 23/08/2021 at 01:41, jmhopton said:

Unfortunately I can't see many bookshops stocking it (their loss). I think even Waterstones said they would get it from the publisher, meaning you had to order it. However the ROH shop is stocking it when it reopens in September and if you're a Friend, presumably you can get your 10% off.

I was going to ask if the ROH Shop would be re-opening soon, I'll be able to take a look at it and get 10% discount, his reviews often made me laugh.

• 2 weeks later...