2 hours ago, Motomum said:

Without MDS, yes places are then full fee paying.

Not sure about scholarships, I haven’t heard that anyone has been awarded one.

Scholarships can vary, full, partial, just for certain aspects of the training.

A MDS place means that all costs are fully covered for the child.

MDS parent contributions would be calculated on the same sliding scale regardless of which MDS school is attended. In order to pay nothing at all towards fees the household income needs to be very low. There is a good fees calculator on the RBS and Elmhurst websites.

A family with full fees covered would also possibly get a contribution towards formal uniform and travel expenses, and may have been on free school meals at a regular school. How much is covered by the MDS funding varies a bit from school to school, but can include a dancewear bursary, healthcare costs and music tuition.

There are extras that need to be paid for, and wouldn’t be included in the MDS bursary: boarding house activities, theatre trips (not at the moment!), taxi fares, any extras for academics like workbooks etc. It runs to about £150 extra per term, although quite a bit less at the moment.

It is manageable, especially if you work out what your annual contribution will be and start setting aside 1/12 of that each month from May onwards. We panicked when we first did the maths, but it is ok!

• Like 3

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, BbcBoy said:

Well done to everyone even to get wait list offers is amazing!  

Motomum congratulations for you son fab news! 

as we are not on the MDS scheme for funding just school scholarships & bursaries can I ask what the difference is?  Those who do not get MDS are expected to pay full fees with no funding help? Or will school offer scholarships?  

I find the whole thing a little confusing? 🤷‍♀️

An MDS is an MDS and the amount you get is means tested.  We have seen a number of dancers say they are on a full MDS scholarship but my understanding is that your family income would need to be less than £20,000 a year to have everything paid for, depending on the fees of the school you are attending and if it is boarding or day pupil.  There is a scale for calculating this.  School scholarships vary from school to school and in some cases are also means tested but not always.  Tring have MDS for lower school dance and their own scholarships for performing arts.  There is DaDA for 6th Form but this is does not give as much as an MDS.

2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Some Tring 6th formers still receive MDS.

We were told that those already at the school with MDS can carry them forward but it was unlikely you would get one going straight into 6th Form, although it does happen and I have since heard there was one given to a new entrant a few years back.

Morning all! 

still waiting & pacing - will today be the day we find out about funding? 

do we know if all MDA offers / wait lists etc were received on Saturday from the dance course or are people still waiting? 

21 minutes ago, BbcBoy said:

Morning all! 

still waiting & pacing - will today be the day we find out about funding? 

do we know if all MDA offers / wait lists etc were received on Saturday from the dance course or are people still waiting? 

My friends daughter received her MDS letter yesterday morning. (Monday)

What Tring course results are you waiting for, is it dance, or performing?

@BbcBoyour daughter is waiting for her course letter aswell (Performance Foundation) I phoned the school yesterday about some paperwork and was told they are just waiting for the principle to give the go ahead to send the letters so a few more days to wait I think 

Year 7

We need a substantial Scholarship though and I believe the school and bursaries fund her course which I think is different to dance only which I think there is Government funding, so a smaller pot and chances I'm presuming 

What day did hour son auditon, our daughters was 16th 10:45 slot 

We a similar without funding it just won’t be possible, I am hoping as there didn’t seem to be too many at the auditions there may be more to go round then we think 🤞🤷‍♀️

my DS was in the 8.45 session, there were 3 boys and 8 girls I think - but not all for year 7. 

Would your DD be boarding or day? X

I hope so 🙏🤞

In our daughters session there were three girls including her and one boy however she said they were joined by five children who are currently primary school children there so I think nine in total. 

It will be boarding for our daughter, you? She said the staff were really lovely and she loves it there. 

Her talents are more in singing and acting less so on dancing it just depends on what they are looking for really I suppose 

Yes that was my sons group, I think there was 1 year 8, 9 & 10. 

It’s so hard to know what they are looking for in terms of funding but they have all done amazing to get this far!  

did your daughter get an offered boarding place subject to funding? X

Ah yes I think I seen him come out, 

Exactly they have all done amazingly well and for us we are just hoping we get over this last hurdle 🙏 but who knows I'm sure all the children are talented 

I can't remember what the original letter said, it was an offer and I think it said offer which funding auditon or something like that x