• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Raquelle said:

I am not sure dainty dancer but I wonder if even less this year due to covid? Judging by this group more people got an offer without finals....xxx

There were loads when my dd did it last year. Maybe 40? ? They were in groups and I can’t quite remember now. Later I heard they only had 4 or 5 MDA to give out - i had assumed more. Dd had a lovely time though. 

• alison changed the title to Tring - boarding
3 minutes ago, Sarah jones said:

Has anybody from entry yr10 heard anything yet. Still waiting for a yes or no letter. Not sure if they do the results by year. 

No, but we’re going for year 8 and had our offer a day later than the 7’s so....

Hello. I am new to this group but would like to ask an advise. We are international so it’s so confusing with all these online auditions.. My daughter got an offer for year 8 (dance course) and Tring wants a non refundable deposit in 20 days. As we also auditioned for Elmhurst (no results till next month) we are in a big confusion now. Are here more people in the same situation?

5 minutes ago, Asta said:

Hello. I am new to this group but would like to ask an advise. We are international so it’s so confusing with all these online auditions.. My daughter got an offer for year 8 (dance course) and Tring wants a non refundable deposit in 20 days. As we also auditioned for Elmhurst (no results till next month) we are in a big confusion now. Are here more people in the same situation?

Welcome and congratulations to your DD! Did your daughter get invited to the funding final? If she did then my understanding is there are no fees to pay until they have attended this.  If not, perhaps contact Tring and explain you are still awaiting to hear results from other schools and so could you wait to make the payment until you’ve heard from them all? We are in the same boat, my DS has had an offer for Hammond and Tring but both with funding finals, but we still have to wait to hear from Elmhurst and WL. Hammond asked for £160 but I emailed and explained money is tight due to the pandemic and the very lovey registrar was great about it. We don’t have to pay anything to Tring yet as he will be attending the funding final. I hope you get sorted!

Edited by Bunny
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asta said:

Dear Bunny, thank you for an advice. Yes, she is invited to the funding finals.So perhaps we will do the same as you.

That’s wonderful, in that case I don’t think you have to pay until she has attended, unless it is different for international students? I would drop them a quick email and ask. Good luck! ☺️ X

5 hours ago, Bunny said:

Welcome and congratulations to your DD! Did your daughter get invited to the funding final? If she did then my understanding is there are no fees to pay until they have attended this.  If not, perhaps contact Tring and explain you are still awaiting to hear results from other schools and so could you wait to make the payment until you’ve heard from them all? We are in the same boat, my DS has had an offer for Hammond and Tring but both with funding finals, but we still have to wait to hear from Elmhurst and WL. Hammond asked for £160 but I emailed and explained money is tight due to the pandemic and the very lovey registrar was great about it. We don’t have to pay anything to Tring yet as he will be attending the funding final. I hope you get sorted!

Wow so are you allowed to go to the Hammond MDA finals without paying extra?

Maybe it’s not a suitable place to ask but how all of you choose between the schools after getting offers? As I am a foreigner I know little about UK vocational dance schools. We applied for RBS, Elmhurst, Tring and Moorland and got offers from the last two. Of course, I understand that WL is on top of the schools, we attended finals there last year. But how to choose between Tring and Elmhurst, for example? My daughter is absolutely classical ballerina, taught after Vaganova method. 

17 minutes ago, Asta said:

Maybe it’s not a suitable place to ask but how all of you choose between the schools after getting offers? As I am a foreigner I know little about UK vocational dance schools. We applied for RBS, Elmhurst, Tring and Moorland and got offers from the last two. Of course, I understand that WL is on top of the schools, we attended finals there last year. But how to choose between Tring and Elmhurst, for example? My daughter is absolutely classical ballerina, taught after Vaganova method. 

My understanding is that in terms of purely classical ballet training, the order to go in is WL, Elmhurst, Tring, Hammond. However I am happy to be corrected as I have only gleaned that from these forums! For my DS he is Royal Ballet obsessed. He is really excited about the offers from other schools and very grateful for the ones he has so far and keen to go to the funding auditions, but he has his heart set on RBS and is desperate for a WL place. I think it’s a combination of loving London and the ROH and RB company so much, and the fact that he absolutely loves his JA lessons so feels a huge pull towards them! I don’t think he’s quite grasped yet that it is entirely possible to become an excellent dancer outside of Royal. I’ve spent a lot of time explaining how difficult it is to get through to WL finals etc and he says he knows and isn’t expecting to, but I am still sure that he will be heartbroken when/if that ends up being the case. I think also when the children visit the schools they will have a good idea of if it fits them/they fit it! (I hope anyway!) x

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bunny said:

My understanding is that in terms of purely classical ballet training, the order to go in is WL, Elmhurst, Tring, Hammond. However I am happy to be corrected as I have only gleaned that from these forums! For my DS he is Royal Ballet obsessed. He is really excited about the offers from other schools and very grateful for the ones he has so far and keen to go to the funding auditions, but he has his heart set on RBS and is desperate for a WL place. I think it’s a combination of loving London and the ROH and RB company so much, and the fact that he absolutely loves his JA lessons so feels a huge pull towards them! I don’t think he’s quite grasped yet that it is entirely possible to become an excellent dancer outside of Royal. I’ve spent a lot of time explaining how difficult it is to get through to WL finals etc and he says he knows and isn’t expecting to, but I am still sure that he will be heartbroken when/if that ends up being the case. I think also when the children visit the schools they will have a good idea of if it fits them/they fit it! (I hope anyway!) x

So it seems I made the right order of the schools :) I purely understand your son’s strong will to get a place at the WL.. My daughter’s never dreamed about RBS until she was accidentally noticed by Mr. Powney and invited to the y7 finals. These two days at WL were the happiest days in her ballet life and she is still very heart broken she wasn’t accepted. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Asta said:

Hi Asta. 
which schools is it you have finals / offers for?

I haven’t hear of Moorland, but then I was new to the dance world last year. Best depends entirely upon the child, but In terms of International reputation  then Royal and Elmhurst are the major players. Tring and Hammond do Dance rather than Ballet so a bit different. I think - and this is my personal opinion only - that if you have a child who thrives under pressure RB is better than Elmhurst, but I wouldn’t pick RB over Elmhurst for a child who needs more encouragement or reassurance. Tring is excellent and academic too, but if you have a child who just loves to dance and wants that to play a major part in their education without any pressure then maybe The Hammond would suit. If you would be paying for Tring it maybe worth securing your place there (which doesn’t stop you being considered for an award), rather than crossing your fingers for a place somewhere else and potentially finding Tring full. That said I think this year will be something of a ‘buyers market’ for people paying fees. 
I hope that helps x

(are you trying for year 8?)

32 minutes ago, Flower said:

Hi Asta. 
which schools is it you have finals / offers for?

I haven’t hear of Moorland, but then I was new to the dance world last year. Best depends entirely upon the child, but In terms of International reputation  then Royal and Elmhurst are the major players. Tring and Hammond do Dance rather than Ballet so a bit different. I think - and this is my personal opinion only - that if you have a child who thrives under pressure RB is better than Elmhurst, but I wouldn’t pick RB over Elmhurst for a child who needs more encouragement or reassurance. Tring is excellent and academic too, but if you have a child who just loves to dance and wants that to play a major part in their education without any pressure then maybe The Hammond would suit. If you would be paying for Tring it maybe worth securing your place there (which doesn’t stop you being considered for an award), rather than crossing your fingers for a place somewhere else and potentially finding Tring full. That said I think this year will be something of a ‘buyers market’ for people paying fees. 
I hope that helps x

(are you trying for year 8?)

Thank you very much for your opinion. I find it very helpful! 
My daughter got two offers for y8 places- Moorland’s International Ballet Academy and Tring Park School. We will not accept the first one, I think, just because the school’s still very unknown even for British, too young and too small. 
As for Tring, it is very difficult to decide. Not only for the ballet training but also because of a huge non refundable deposit to secure the place. 

If I may comment ( from personal experience )

I have sent several pupils to Moorlands .

The classes are small , it is like one big happy family .

The teachers are fantastic , with every child being nurtured and reaching  their potential .They are certainly holding their own amongst the other more established schools , and enter the major competitions etc .

My DS went to Tring , and received excellent classical and contemporary training there .

He is currently in his 4th year in a ballet company , where his excellent training has stood him in good stead .

He also gained good A level grades at Tring .

Many people write Tring off when it comes down to classical training ,but a good number of their students move on to the Royal Ballet upper school from the lower school, they have also produced medalists / prizewinners in the Genee and Ceccetti competitions .

Only my opinion , of course , but I would highly recommend both of these schools .

Happy to answer any questions.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, tutugirl said:

The teachers are fantastic , with every child being nurtured and reaching  their potential .They are certainly holding their own amongst the other more established schools , and enter the major competitions etc .

My DS went to Tring , and received excellent classical and contemporary training there .

He is currently in his 4th year in a ballet company , where his excellent training has stood him in good stead .

Many people write Tring off when it comes down to classical training ,but a good number of their students move on to the Royal Ballet upper school from the lower school, they have also produced medalists / prizewinners in the Genee and Ceccetti competitions .

Only my opinion , of course , but I would highly recommend both of these schools .

Thank you Tutu girl, you were a great source of information last year too. Glad you are still here. (Off to look up Moorland)

7 minutes ago, tutugirl said:

Thank you! I am so confused now.. My daughter studies in a small, very similar to Moorland’s,  international ballet academy now. And although training quality was very high at the beginning, now, with only several teachers (also a wife and a husband) , the level of the ballet teaching keeps falling down. That’s why I am a little bit afraid about the Moorland school. As far as I can see from their web page, the academy has only 4 teachers. And what about boys? How many do they have in a class? In my daughter’s class there is only one boy. And it is not enough in pas de deux :)

• Like 1

My friend and I (neither of us have DC and I have only ever been a watcher) went to see the Moorlands End of Year show in 2019 and were very impressed with the standard of the students.

We do know the Kidds from their days as dancers with Northern Ballet.  Before they moved to Moorlands they had both taught at the Northern Ballet Academy.

Be sure to do your research on all aspects of a school. How many of their own students actually graduate/make it through (as opposed to foreign students brought in into the upper years)? What is the pastoral care like? How are concerns dealt with? Are children given the freedom to develop and grow into their own people? Sometimes the biggest ‘names’ may not actually be the best place for your child and may not offer the best shot at success (I mean by this not just dancing but also overall health, happiness and well-being). 

this forum has many wonderful threads about all the different schools and their reality vs their images. I’ve found them v helpful.  

• Like 3

On 02/02/2021 at 09:34, Whiteduvet said:

Hi

DD has been offered a place at Tring for September (letter has just arrived!). It says though that they can’t guarantee a boarding place yet. 

Is this normal? Is it safe to accept a day place (we live the other end of the country)?! 

Well done! Congrats to your little one