Life coaching for dancers during Covid 19.

Matz Skoog

Over the past several months, during the Covid 19 crisis with lockdown and social distancing, I have worked with dancers via Zoom, both as ballet teacher and as personal development coach. It’s been remarkable to see the resilience and determination by which so many of them have managed to maintain motivation, uphold a sensible training routine and sustain themselves mentally despite such difficult odds. Reflecting back on my own career I am not sure I would have had the discipline, or even the knowledge, to manage myself as successfully had I been faced with similar circumstances. 

Regardless of the Corona crisis the challenge of sustaining a dancing career today is much harder than it once was. A couple of generations ago competition for jobs was less pressured and the possibility for a long and satisfying dancing career was more likely. Today it is tougher. Dancers nowadays need to manage their work and lives very carefully if they want to have a professional career at all.

Even though many of the major dance schools could do more to prepare their graduates for the realities of the profession, what we have seen during this time of crisis is a generation of young professionals who are better trained, better educated and more self-aware, with greater capacity for self-management. And thank goodness for this, as otherwise the impact of Covid 19 might have been considerably worse. 

Whilst I have been happy to see resilience and determination from many there have been casualties too. Covid 19 has enforced reassessment and personal reinvention for numerous dance professionals. This is when coaching can be particularly valuable, and when being a coach is especially rewarding, helping an artist to creatively explore new ideas and different options. 

To finish on a positive note: I have been encouraged by my recent experiences of working with dancers. The current generation is more socially aware and capable of self-determination, with a greater understanding of mental health issues and the importance of personal stability. A couple of years ago [life] coaching was not even on the radar of most dancers. Now they are starting to look for personal development solutions in the same way as they view Pilates and other complimentary training techniques as essential for maintaining professional standards and personal satisfaction. 

Matz Skoog has worked many years in the changeable world of performing arts, as a principal dancer, artistic director, teacher and consultant. As a coach he now draws from that experience to enable clients to manage the multiple demands of a successful career in a complex job market. For more information visit www.matzskoog.com

MATZ 4.png

• Like 1