Sussex summer school

Happymum

I'm still looking for a summer school for my 9 years old DD. At the moment I've got RAD on my list and now I also found Sussex summer school website. Did you ever try it? What did your DC fought about it? Is it a proper ballet/dance summer school or kind of fun dance camp for all children? I hope that someone will be able to tell me more about it (or suggest other summer school ).

Edited by Happymum
  • Like 1

Hi Happymum,

My dd did this summer school back in 2009 when she had just turned 10 (summer birthday). The standard was very good and they had classes in ballet, contemporary and musical theatre, the school where it is held is lovely and there is a theatre on site where they performed the final show.

They sleep on mattresses on the floor of a large gym, with various areas divided up - gives it a sort of sleepover feel and the food is very good

DD had just finished a week at RBS summer school (we booked Sussex thinking that it was unlikely she would get an RBS summer school place!) so Sussex did have a more relaxed feel in contrast! However, she really enjoyed both and it would certainly make a good first residential summer school.

Hope this helps a bit - they are very approachable and answer emails quickly, so you could always contact them for more up to date info

A couple of my students who were aged around 10 have attended this summer school and loved it and their parents were happy with the accommodation. They filmed the dancers throughout the week and produced a video so that parents could see what they had been up to! My students let me have a look at the video and I was impressed with everything on it from the dance classes, the dancers are split into groups according to their dance level through to the evening entertainment which included a barbecue and talent show!

My 9 DD went this summer and stayed. She was taken under the wing of the older girls and loved it.... As we knew no one that was going i was a bit concerned but they kindly sent me a copy of the previous years DVD so DD could see what it was like. My DD was doing Grade 3/4 during that time and said it wasnt difficult. She loved all the evening entertainment. Turned up and watched the show which i thought was lovely. DD only phoned home about twice during the week (and that was to ask for spare tights!!).

Hi Lemongirl - children are selected by photo application only, there is no audition. You send off an application form with the required photographs and hear back you have been successful or not. If you go on to the RBS website and look under 'The Courses' you will find a page with all the details on. At the moment it says application for 2013 will be available in Dec. Hope this helps :)

Thank you all for helpful replies. We decided to try Sussex summer school this year. I found a nice (I think! ) campsite nearby for me and my DH to stay. My DD doesn't want to sleep at school this year. What is interesting my DS ( soon 7, primary exam in couple of months) wants to join this cours as well! I'd love him to try it but I know that he'd hated it if he is the only boy in his group! So do you know if many boys go there? Have your DS been there?

When Martin went I think he was about 14 and yes there were few boys, certainly senior boys. I would imagine at a young age most of the boys may be local. So it could depend how many lads the local school has. The local school, well the large one, was called Roshe I think and it was from this school the organisers came. But this is 9 odd years ago so not sure how much help I am. Hopefully others have more recent info.

• 4 months later...

My DD is doing the Sussex SS, second week, and is booked as a "day plus" student. But now she started to think about staying there as residential student. She is not sure yet and generally not very confident being away without parents. Does anyone know if majority of students (aged 9-10) stay for a whole week or are they mainly just "day" students? Is somebody's DD going there ( second week, grade 3/4). I called the school today and ask if we can visit our DD once or twice (DD's idea) but they're not very happy about it (it's understandable).

My 9 DD went this summer and stayed. She was taken under the wing of the older girls and loved it.... As we knew no one that was going i was a bit concerned but they kindly sent me a copy of the previous years DVD so DD could

see what it was like. My DD was doing Grade

3/4 during that time and said it wasnt difficult.

She loved all the evening entertainment.

Turned up and watched the show which i

thought was lovely. DD only phoned home about

twice during the week (and that was to ask for

spare tights!!).

I've sent you a PM

Bother, those are the two weeks we are on holiday! Does anyone low if there are ant good summer schools later in August? I know there's NYB but that's by audition.

NYB also do a one-week outreach non-residential summer school at Tring whilst they are there doing the full company rehearsals. There is no audition for it - you just apply, although they very often forget to put details of it on their website.

DD has done it a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

Still waiting for reply :-( Is anyone going to Sussex SS? Or has been there? My DD decided to be a residential student and I'm happy ( as she's not v confident) but also worried. Is this not a good Ss? As nobody else is going? Is Francesizzi still a balletco member? Her DD was there last year and I hoped I could chat with her. Oh, I'm a bit worried. First time for my DD and for me.

Happymum, I really would try not to worry (far easier said than done, I know!) Your DD has chosen to do the summer school and to stay there and she knows that you and her dad will be staying close by - that will probably be an emotional crutch for her, in that she knows that you are near if she does need you. I am sure that she will be very well looked after by her peers and by older children and will have a ball!

I know how you feel as my DD is also lacking in confidence, but the fact that your DD has chosen to be a residential student is a real plus. She herself obviously feels she can cope and I am sure that she will! Try not to let her see how anxious we parents get...;-)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I remember you were going to camp .....keep fingers crossed that this weather stays around ideal for camping.

I know Sussex quite well if you need any info on what to do for the week.....though I have forgotten the exact location....I remember it wasn't that far from Brighton. Both Brighton and Lewes and anywhere within 10-15 mile radius of Eastbourne are worth a visit as is Rye which is a bit further east though. There are loads of Gardens to visit and a very good swimming pool in Burgess Hill (both Lewes and Brighton have okay swimming pools as well) as I believe you have a son travelling with you as well. All the local Nature places do things with the kids in the hols. Anyway you've probably researched already. Hope you find someone else who is doing the summer school for your DD.

The swimming Pool in Burgess Hill is called the Triangle tel 01444 876000

The pool in Lewes has its on car park and is in Mountield Road and as you are swimming you are looking out (its glassed down one side) onto the local sports ground so very pleasant too. The Regent pool in Brighton is right in the middle near the Library and Jubilee Square it also has its own car park but its not that big and you will only get just enough time there to swim!! I usually go to this one but always on the bus!!

There's always the sea of course if this weather holds.y

It's easier for parking at Saltdean (where I live) Rottingdean and Ovingdean ....these places have proper toilets on the beach and cafes etc!!

Alfriston is worth a visit and has the original National Trust building in The Old ClergyHouse and on the opposit side of the river is Littlington tea gardens a terraced gardens which is really pleasant for a cuppa and a cake and by August they should have heir delicious mulberry ice cream!! A lot of the gardens like Wakehurst Place and Sheffield Park are in the NT if you are members.....infact Sheffield Park is in RHS and NT so very useful.....and of course near there you can go on the bluebell steam train ride.

Also Eastdean just outside Eastbourne is a lovely little village with a great pub "the Tiger" and lovely cafe for another cuppa and cake and wonderful Thai restaurant .......where I had my retirement do last year! And nearby....within 10min walk is the rare breeds sheep farm! Sorry going on a bit but it is such a lovely area I don't want people to miss things!!

I see the course is being held at the Rudolf Steiner school near Forest Row so near the Ashdown Forest another nice bit.

Next week I'm going up to York for a few days to see my friends daughter inSummer School there so am looking forward to this as they are over from Sydney and only get to see her dance about every three years.

On the week your Sussex course is on I am up in London doing a Summer School for adults(well old people really!) so must be a bit mad I suppose just hope I can survive the week without breaking anything!!

Hope you will let us know how it went for your daughter...hope she can make some friends from the forum too. Linda

Wow LinMM! I always knew that this forum is fantastic but I'd never suspect that I may not need a bookguide ever again! It all sounds fantastic and well worth a visit, I'm just worried about my waist after all this info about nice restaurants and Mulberry ice cream ( never tried it). I'll let you know how it went. And if I'm lost in Sussex I may PM you :-) thank you!

• Like 1

On the week your Sussex course is on I am up in London doing a Summer School for adults(well old people really!) so must be a bit mad I suppose just hope I can survive the week without breaking anything!!

Well,do I need to cancel this one then Lin, as it will completely destroy my image?

By the way Happymum if you do end up in Lewes there's a very good pub we go to called The Snowdrop. There is music there on several nights but we usually go on Saturdays where we have seen some good bands etc. it's all free!! It's right by the river and is decorated with canal boat art in its current incarnation!

Before that it was full of weird and wonderful antiques but has always been good for music.

On the whole we spend more time in Lewes than Brighton....though all my ballet classes are in Brighton so I do go there a lot at the mo too for these but Lewes has a nice feel about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bring the subjec up again but it's 4:40 in the morning, I'm in my tent, can't sleep and just wanted to share my thoughts with somebody.

My DD starter Sussex SS yesterday afternoon. She was very nervous and so was I. We should be there between 2:30 and 4 and because of traffic and broken pole in our new tent and a few other unexpected problems we were there 5 mins to 4 ( it didn't help!).

DD had such a scared and worried face that people were asking her if she was alright. And I put a brave and happy face on, pretending I didnt notice.

She cried just a bit, just for a moment when she saw her room (a screened section in a hall) because she is 9 and other girls in the room are 11-14. We talked a bit, hugged a bit, the teachers came to talk to DD... She got better after checking with one of them the she is alowed to put her earings back on on Friday night ( BBQ and disco). Also she had been introduced to another scared girl from her room (

first time for her as well)

We have been shown around (lovely place with

beautiful grounds) and that's it - DDs first class

started at 4:30. Quick hug, no tiers (??!!)

Me, my DH and DS went to see the canteen and I had a chat with a lovely lady who works there

about the food. My hungry husband wanted to

go ASAP, I stayed, asked more questions,

thought for a moment about going back to studio

to watch my DD through the window....

DD rang about 6:45 fir the first time to say that she has 3 new friends ( girls from her room). That she is dancing in group C ( with older girls- from her room :-)). That she had a healthy dinner and then a choc cake with cream and

strawberries. That she's not worried anymore.

Then she called 2nd time to ask what is her mobile number.

3rd time she called to ask where is her watch.

4th time to let me know that she's been to a tuck shop and what did she buy for only 90p.

5th call - she last her trainers

6th- she found them....

She is happy there, not worried anymore. My DH already "forgot" about her. It's just me. I'm not worried, it's just a strange feeling, I keep thinking about what she's doing at the moment.

Well, it's after 5 now. I'll try to go to sleep again.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes. It's not me, it's my phone and early hour....

• Like 3