Press Release: Ten UK ballet schools pledge continued support for students during 2021 audition process

Jan McNulty

Ten leading professional ballet schools pledge continued support for dance students during 2021 auditions process

860469731_UKBalletSchoolsUniteinAuditionsforSeptember2021entry.PhotoKateJackson.thumb.jpg.939dfa88b1b4c60c6776ad669370b39f.jpg

Photo:  Kate Jackson

Following a joint statement issued in summer 2020, ten of the UK’s leading professional ballet schools have announced a unified message of support and reassurance today as hundreds of prospective students consider applications for places on programmes starting in September 2021. 

The schools pledging continued and unified support are Central School of BalletEnglish National Ballet SchoolElmhurst Ballet SchoolThe Hammond SchoolKS DanceNorthern Ballet School, Rambert SchoolThe Royal Ballet SchoolRoyal Conservatoire of Scotland, and Tring Park School for the Performing Arts

Following the UK Government’s announcements of further restrictions at the start of the New Year resulting in training and education organisations moving to a virtual timetable, the schools’ preliminary auditions in 2021 will also take place online. 

Final audition rounds usually take place in face-to face settings in March each year.  The aim, where possible, is to arrange for students to audition in person in a studio setting, but with the understanding that ongoing restrictions may require the final stage to be rescheduled to a later date or similarly take place online. 

Committed to support the young dancers throughout the unconventional audition process, the schools’ leaders are continuing to work together as they acknowledge the immense disruption of the last year on training and preparation. All the schools are united in assuring future students and parents that the auditions will be organised professionally and fairly with every support for the next cohort of dance students. 

The message to prospective and current students from all the ballet schools listed above is one of unified commitment and support for all those embarking on the next stage in their dance careers. Please refer to individual schools’ websites for their specific and detailed audition information. These are updated regularly in line with Government developments and guidelines, so the audition process and approach continues to be mindful of the students’ safety and wellbeing.  

English National Ballet School, Elmhurst Ballet School, The Hammond School, KS Dance, Northern Ballet School, and Tring Park School for the Performing Arts are Accredited Members of the Council for Dance, Drama and Musical Theatre (CDMT) which also supports this joint agreement by the ballet schools. 

• Like 5

How I wish there had been one agreed video to be used across all the schools. The literal sweat and tears involved in creating a different one for each institution, especially as daughter needed to use my laptop and I needed it to actually work on! 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Pas de Quatre said:

I am not sure they have agreed the same video, just the same process.  It does say check each establishments own audition information.

No, they haven't, but I wish they had! They all had switched to video before Christmas, but wanted different requirements as we went into lockdown and couldn't access studios. It's been interesting. 

On 22/01/2021 at 15:29, Yrosered said:

How I wish there had been one agreed video to be used across all the schools. The literal sweat and tears involved in creating a different one for each institution, especially as daughter needed to use my laptop and I needed it to actually work on! 

Completely agree with this! All different videos and then wanting it sent over in various formats. 
Steep learning curve here dealing with the technicalities! 

Hopefully, if the schools are working together on this, students won't be put in the position of having to accept an offer at one school before final auditions have happened at others.  I know this happens to some extent in normal years,  but if some schools take an approach of delaying finals and others choose to go ahead with a video approach offers could be all over the place!

Quite a few schools overseas are opting to do prelims over Zoom or similar.  I know everyone is probably experiencing Zoom fatigue by now but  I actually think this would have been a good idea if prelims could not have been done in person.  No one would have an advantage of having more time to prepare or polish videos.  It would show students who pick things up quickly.  A panel could have watched even 20-25 students at a time, pinning those who they want to see closer etc.  It is more likely that students will be in the same situation at any one time (ie if in lockdown most would be at home although I know some have access to halls or studios).  I think overall it would have been a more transparent, equitable and accurate process than producing multiple videos.  Plus, it would have saved the panel sifting through hundreds of videos, which in themselves would have varying levels of being prepared (for example, some would have rushed videos to be able to access halls before lockdown, some would have had more time but would have had to film at home.  I've actually seen some hire professional studios and videographers).  I do feel for all the children, parents and teachers who've had to deal with the added stress of filming these videos in addition to the stress of auditions themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

Quite a few schools overseas are opting to do prelims over Zoom or similar.  I know everyone is probably experiencing Zoom fatigue by now but  I actually think this would have been a good idea if prelims could not have been done in person.  No one would have an advantage of having more time to prepare or polish videos.  It would show students who pick things up quickly.  A panel could have watched even 20-25 students at a time, pinning those who they want to see closer etc.  It is more likely that students will be in the same situation at any one time (ie if in lockdown most would be at home although I know some have access to halls or studios).  I think overall it would have been a more transparent, equitable and accurate process than producing multiple videos.  Plus, it would have saved the panel sifting through hundreds of videos, which in themselves would have varying levels of being prepared (for example, some would have rushed videos to be able to access halls before lockdown, some would have had more time but would have had to film at home.  I've actually seen some hire professional studios and videographers).  I do feel for all the children, parents and teachers who've had to deal with the added stress of filming these videos in addition to the stress of auditions themselves.

The issue with this is that if anyone’s technology fails, it then becomes much more stressful. Or if they don’t have access to a suitable space at the specified time... There are arguments for either method. With video submissions you have a bit more flexibility to resolve the issues. A professional videographer might make a video that looks excellent to the untrained eye, but the panel know exactly what they are looking for, and they won’t be fooled.