English Youth Ballet - senior audition

arabesque1

I have auditioned and there was no pointework- to be honest, I dont think there would have been time for pointework as there were so many of us there!! If your dd gets in, there will probably be pointework in the casting audition, as some roles are en pointe. Hope that helps! :)

Yes, I agree, worth checking with Miss Lewis. There was no pointework when dd auditioned earlier this year - partly from time considerations but also because the stage floor in the theatre was very slippery. For the performances EYB bring in their own flooring, but not for the audition apparently.

Do take pointes to casting day, but there will be a gap of at least a few months.

Good luck to everyone auditioning, have a great time. :-)

My dd has successfully auditioned 3 times in the senior audition and in fact the first time she had only just turned 12 and hadn't even started pointe work!

Pointe was not included in any of those auditions so I wouldn't worry too much. If she is successful then as others have said, she should take them to the casting session as she will be assessed then.

Lots of luck to your dd and everyone else who is auditioning :)

Good luck to everyone. My advice would be to smile and enjoy it. EYB are looking for children who love to dance and who are prepared to work hard and try new things - doesn't matter if they can't do everything in the audition perfectly. I wouldn't worry about the pointe work either. My DD has been 3 times and there's never been any pointe work in the audition. They do look at that at the casting as has already been mentioned, but there are always lots of lovely parts for girls not on pointe as well, so it's not really a big issue.

I must confess that I'm a bit jealous of everyone auditioning. My DD (and I!) love EYB but sadly there isn't anywhere that is suitable for us this year :(

• Like 5

I feel for you New to dance - not an easy one. Well done to both your daughters for having a go - its a big theatre and a lot was asked of them.

My DD thought the Senior class was set around the IF/Intermediate level and with 71 of them on stage it was very hard to really express yourself completely. She was delighted to be included among the six dancers called forward to be considered for the scholarship and very pleased to receive one of the half scholarships offered. Miss Lewis told her she had a "lovely quality" which was wonderful to hear.

For those who are auditioning in the future for the first time, there was no pointe work in the audition!

Hope everyone else had a good evening :-)

• Like 9

Excellent news, very well done to those who were successful, and super news about your lovely dd, Bankrupt_mum. :-)

New to Dance, sometimes there is the odd person who can't accept their place, so I've heard of a couple of those with a "no" going onto a waiting list and being called up. This is probably quite rare, but I know it happened at Aylesbury.

We couldn't get there - all trains to Weston from Bristol were cancelled due to flooding and people had been queuing for over 2 hours for coaches:(

Probably just as well - we heard yesterday from dd's dance teacher that her school show rehearsals clash with 2 rehearsals which we didn't know when booking the audition so she wouldn't have been able to take part anyway. Hoping for Cardiff now, depending on those dates (weekends don't work around associate classes).

Well done to your DD Arabesque1 - looks like we shall finally meet!

Sounds like we got off lightly with 71 in the audition ;-), people certainly do turn their places down New to Dance, I know of one junior who will be and one senior who is sitting on the fence at the moment. Its a big committment of both time and money so lots to be thought about.

it sounds a very exciting project and my daughter is very excited - although hardly able to speak this morning with a throat infection :-(

Just read your post Jaulou62 - what a shame, fingers crossed for you at Cardiff.

Congratulations to your dd's Bankcruptmum, arabesque1 & New to dance and fingers crossed your youngest dd gets a place off the waiting list! 9 of my students auditioned in the Juniors on Monday at Preston there were 150 Juniors auditioning!!! I thought the EYB staff did an excellent job of organising so many of them. Happy to say all my students were offered a place and one received a half scholarship.

• Like 3