Wish list for 2021/22 UK Ballet season (?)

Driving up the M4 on New Year's Day (for legitimate reasons!) I had Swan Lake on the CD player. I actually started to blub as I realised how much I missed the sheer occasion of seeing hundreds of people presenting a 3-act, indestructible classic with the greatest score and some of the best choreography of all, for an audience of two thousand.

So that's what I want to return to - no socially distanced audience, no thinly populated stage or pit, no half measures. If that means I have to wait a little longer, I'll take that.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Driving up the M4 on New Year's Day (for legitimate reasons!) I had Swan Lake on the CD player. I actually started to blub as I realised how much I missed the sheer occasion of seeing hundreds of people presenting a 3-act, indestructible classic with the greatest score and some of the best choreography of all, for an audience of two thousand.

So that's what I want to return to - no socially distanced audience, no thinly populated stage or pit, no half measures. If that means I have to wait a little longer, I'll take that.

And thinking about the current ROH Swan Lake: I was previously on the fence about Scarlett's resolution of the story, save that I didn't like Siegfried's inactivity at the climax. But after my M4 epiphany I'm pretty clear it needs more redemption and hope. Once that's fixed, I think it would be a hugely appropriate opener: it was on when the house has to close and it really puts you through the wringer. It would be wonderfully cathartic to see it again after all we've been through.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

For myself, completely agree.  For the dancers, musicians and all the other artists involved, back on stage ASAP, whatever restrictions that might involve. 

Edited by oncnp

On 12/01/2021 at 09:10, Jan McNulty said:

Hello Peony, the company had been due to go in Spring 20/21 with a double bill but that was cancelled due to the pandemic.  I spent a most glorious afternoon there a few years ago watching a truly scintillating of Fille featuring Maureya Lebowitz and Chi Cao.  I had seen them performing it together in Birmingham a couple of weeks earlier and was so bowled over I immediately booked to see them in Nottingham when I got home!!  I've also seen Northern Ballet in Nottingham.

I gather that what we knew and loved as midscale was going to be reworked as a smaller scale tour going to Midlands-ish theatres such as Cheltenham, Shrewsbury and Nottingham but goodness only knows what will be happening in the future...

Very interesting, thank you Jan. I think the last time they came was 2016 so I had presumed it had been dropped as a venue. You’ve cheered me up thank you!

9 hours ago, Peony said:

Very interesting, thank you Jan. I think the last time they came was 2016 so I had presumed it had been dropped as a venue. You’ve cheered me up thank you!

Nottingham had been part of the midscale tour itinerary and presumably that was when it disappeared from the schedules.

The cancelled double bill from 2020 was one of only 2 smaller-scale venues scheduled, the other being Norwich for the first time in many, many years.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2021 at 15:22, Bruce Wall said:

Think DonQFan's list is excellent.  Would just like to add for the Royal Ballet FILLE ... because I have a feeling we all need its sun just now ... If there ever was a ballet to evoke smiles that is it in my book.  

Thank you!  Yes La Fille Mal Gardee  as well - I did think of that AFTER I had shut the pc down!!

• Like 3