Happy New Year From The Mods

Dear Members (and, as always, lurkers!),

Well…what a strange, unprecedented and very sad year it has been.  I don’t, however, want to dwell on the bad things.  What I DO want to do is look at the positives. So…here are some reasons to be cheerful:

Although there has been almost no live ballet anywhere in the world since March, thanks to the initiatives of companies worldwide we have been able to see performances that we probably would never have seen in normal times.

We have been able to share everyday life with our favourite dancers thanks to various social media outlets.  In a time where they have essentially been denied a year of their already-short careers, we have gone some way to helping them know how appreciated their hard work, dedication and artistry are to all of us.  I for one will appreciate all of that much more now that I have been deprived of it for so long.

Many companies are managing to stay afloat thus far, due to grants and private donations.  Let’s hope this continues until they are able to fill their houses once again. 

There are now two vaccines that are approved in the UK and elsewhere;  programmes are being rolled out around the world and hopefully by Easter there will be some semblance of normality back for all of us.

And then there is you, our members.  Back in April I wrote a note to you all thanking you for your efforts in keeping this forum going.  Little did I know back then that we would be extending these thanks again, all these months later.  However, extend them we will.  We can’t thank you enough for your support, your unstinting efforts to keep the information, thoughts and opinions coming, your good humour in a frustrating and difficult time, and your sense of solidarity and community. Without you, there is no forum.  Once again we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for all your writings, thoughts, opinions, videos, photos, links, etc.  It’s amazing and appreciated how you have kept the forum busy, lively and informative in the near-absence of live performances.

As always special thanks go to the Doing Dance thread for being such a wonderfully supportive group.  We are always amazed at how you help each other out with all kinds of problems and questions, and how you guide each other through the maze of doing dance, in whatever form it takes.  Long may this continue.

Speaking of special thanks, a massive thank you to those of you who contributed so generously to our fundraising effort a couple of months back.  It is the first time in five years that we have had to do a fundraiser, and thanks to your generosity we shouldn’t have to ask again for two to three years.  Your generosity is always deeply appreciated, but in this very difficult year we are especially grateful to each and every one of you.

Finally, with my Chair’s hat on, I would like to say a huge and special thank you to all of my fellow moderators, all volunteers, who do such a sterling job of keeping the forum going, especially in this most challenging year.  Most of our work is done behind the scenes, unseen and unnoticed (which is how it should be).  As the forum enters its 10th year, the hard work clearly pays off as we are still here!  So I think you, the members, and we, the moderators, can have the luxury of being pleased with ourselves!  I would also like to remember John Mallinson, still much missed and whose initial ideas and technical contributions in setting up this forum will ensure its survival for a long time.

Here’s to the coming year, and I know that we are all together in the hope that it won’t be too long before we can go to see live performances once again, then discuss and debate them here on the forum.

Until such time, please keep your contributions coming.  We appreciate it more than we can say.

From all of us to all of you…a very happy, healthy and peaceful New Year.

Very best wishes,

Simonetta Dixon (Sim)

Chair, BalletcoForum Committee

• Like 19

A big thank you to you Sim and all the moderators for all the work and effort you put in to keep this wonderful Forum going. It's lovely to read all the support given to and knowledge from everyone contributing to the Forum and especially at this difficult time. Happy New year to you all, Moderators and Members and here's hoping for a better 2021 for us all. 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, capybara said:

Just wanting to add my thanks. One of the (few) upsides of 2020 is that BCF has become an even more wonderful vehicle for sharing information about the art form we all love. Very grateful.

Yes - what has been until now a great joy and luxury has become a vital essential.

• Like 6

Many many thanks to Moderators for helping to keep this such a wonderful

Forum and to all those who contribute here it always feels like a bit of sanity coming here and reading the various threads and the Not Dance thread has been particularly great this year with some wonderful

piccies!! 
A happy New Year to all and hoping 2021 will see us all back to more normality fairly soon. 

• Like 3